Kapadia speculates on Joe Thomas to the Seahawks

Nothinbutm

Reaction score
It's a potential move that he says we could resort to if our better options are exhausted. That being said, Cleveland, take our 26th pick and shut up!

nanomoz

Reaction score
If Thomas was 29, I could see it. But there's too many talented, SPAQ-Y tackles that will be long-term solutions and available at #26 to trade that pick for a guy that will be 32 this year.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
If we can't get a deal done with those guys I don't see how we get one done with a player of Thomas's caliber. Even at 32 he is elite. We have to do something though. What kind of mentor would Thomas be to the younger draft picks?

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
nanomoz":1pkistpj said:
If Thomas was 29, I could see it. But there's too many talented, SPAQ-Y tackles that will be long-term solutions and available at #26 to trade that pick for a guy that will be 32 this year.
Next year's #1 plus like a 4th or 5th this year?

kearly

Reaction score
Normally I'm just fine with dealing a late first, but this year's draft is at its best between picks 15-45. I'd rather have Coleman or Ifedi straight up over Thomas (when factoring age and pay), and it looks like a 1st round pick might not be enough to get Thomas anyway.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
onanygivensunday":2abctr24 said:
Forget trading for Thomas... stay young through the draft.
That's fine as long as we aren't asking projects to come in and start right away.

massari

Reaction score
A 1st for a guy who'll be 32 by week 13 making 10M for the next 3 years? No thanks.

OP
OP
H

hawknation2016

Reaction score
I would trade a first for Joe Thomas. The best LT in the league, $9.5-10 million per year with no guarantees is not that bad, and I don't see him slowing down in the next two years.

But I'm not sure the deal makes sense. I think Cleveland would want more than one pick in return.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
The hawks need to get away from dealing picks for well paid vets.

I can't imagine this is anything more than speculation, and is something they'd actually consider.

Marvin49

Reaction score
hawknation2016":1bjgpoyf said:
I would trade a first for Joe Staley. The best LT in the league, $9.5-10 million per year with no guarantees is not that bad, and I don't see him slowing down in the next two years.

But I'm not sure the deal makes sense. I think Cleveland would want more than one pick in return.

uh....Yer going to have to explain to me why the hell the 49ers would do that.

ah...Thomas....just saw correction. NM.

massari

Reaction score
hawknation2016":3561ps8c said:
I would trade a first for Joe Thomas. The best LT in the league, $9.5-10 million per year with no guarantees is not that bad, and I don't see him slowing down in the next two years.

So you'd take a 32 year old Thomas over a guy like Conkiln, Rankins, Leonard Floyd ect AND 10M to spend on free agents?

ctrcat

Reaction score
hawknation2016":3ofkfv1p said:

At the trade deadline they wanted two 1sts, which is absurd IMO. In 2014 Jordan Gross retired somewhat unexpectedly and the Panthers held their nose through the stink, bumps, bruises, and flat out losses with Bryon Bell and David Foucault. However even in retrospect would I have rather had a 29 year old Thomas if it meant losing Benjamin, Ealy, Turner, Thompson, or Funchess? I truly don't think I'd take Thomas over even one of those given age and salary, much less multiple.

OP
OP
H

hawknation2016

Reaction score
massari":242utqqy said:
hawknation2016":242utqqy said:

So you'd take a 32 year old Thomas over a guy like Conkiln, Rankins, Leonard Floyd ect AND 10M to spend on free agents?

Yes, I would pay the extra $8 million for proven greatness vs. rookie potential.

But, as I said, I don't think it makes sense for Cleveland.

Seahawk_Dan

Reaction score
No to all this Thomas talk. Yeah, the guy is a elite but like much as everyone else has said lets stay young and work through the draft. Wanting to give up a 1st for the guy or whatever Cleveland would demand is gonna be too damn high.

There is O-Line talent in this draft and it's deep. Lets to get them instead.

kearly

Reaction score
hawknation2016":1u5ayrb2 said:
Yes, I would pay the extra $8 million for proven greatness vs. rookie potential.

But, as I said, I don't think it makes sense for Cleveland.

I'd gladly do the deal most years. Late 1sts tend to be overvalued.

It's just that this year it feels like a bunch of hype jobs in the top half of the first are pushing some unusually solid players into the late 1st. It reminds me of the 2009 and 2013 drafts... drafts that were lousy overall but had surprisingly good talent in the back half of the 1st round.

I agree about the Browns. Cleveland is definitely asking for more than a 1st. I think they are trying to sell high on Thomas while they still can. But if they can't sell high, they'll use him to protect whichever rookie QB Hue Jackson decides on.