NFL admits link between CTE and Football

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
This kind of thing is the reason I don't begrudge Marshawn for taking the $$$ or Kam for wanting more than he is being paid.

The NFL admitted a link between CTE and Football, but read the article and see the #s connected to playing football.

http://www.theverge.com/2016/3/15/11232 ... eff-miller

How much is your quality of life worth? What if you could make millions but have a 90% chance of getting brain damage that causes constant headaches, seizures, violent outbursts to family members, and is often accompanied by depression. How much would you need the check to be for you to feel it is worth it?

According to the one sample, almost 90% of NFL players studied had CTE, and near 4 of 5 college players. Scarily, close to 1 in 6 HS players did as well. That seems to mesh with the current estimate of over 90% of NFL players having CTE.

As this kind of thing becomes more clear, there is going to be pressure to change the game - because I am not sure how much money you would consider almost certain brain damage to be worth but you will start seeing guys considering their futures more & more.

More importantly, how many parents are going to be all in on letting their kids play HS or college as these #s start coming out on how it could affect them later?

fenderbender123

Reaction score
Are 90% of ex-NFL players actually suffering from those symptoms? Or did many require further examination of their brains to find signs of CTE?

sc85sis

Reaction score
As I understand it, confirmed CTE can only be found postmortem. However, with the increased visibility on CTE and concussions, they are likely doing projections based on the cases that have been confirmed and the symptoms/profile involved.