Chandler Jones traded to AZ

Basis4day

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/709813751013384192[/tweet]

kearly

Reaction score
Great trade for the Cardinals. Highway robbery.

kearly

Reaction score
I'm guessing New England saw the insane money Olivier Vernon got and decided that Chandler Jones wasn't worth $17m APY in 2017.

That said, I think New England is being cocky if they think they can just find pass rushers of Jones' caliber any time they want in the draft. When you have a pass rusher, you lock him up.

This move is even more unfathomable for a team with a QB who turns 39 in August. The Pats are the very definition of a team that should be in "win now" mode. Maybe there is another move coming but if this is it, it looks like a mistake by New England.

Granted, Tom Brady might get suspended for 4 games this year, but that shouldn't be a reason to throw in the towel on the 2016 season.

uncle fester

Reaction score
"Hey, Mr Schneider? It's Russell. We need to talk about this year's pass protection..."

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Great trade for the Cardinals.

They get Jones for a 2nd rounder and what's left of Jonathan Cooper's name recognition.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
Personally I would be nervous to take any player off the Patriots squad.

Spygate was about knowing your opponents moves so you can counter. With that knowledge you can make players appear to be much better than they are, hence Belicheat seemingly always knowing when to get rid of a player when really without the cheats you just see the player for what he is.

I know Spygate is way behind us but the Patriots were also under investigation for tampering with FM signals. In other words, suspected of stealing offense and defensive calls from the head sets. Again, knowing what your opponent is doing provides a huge benefit in being able to defend it.

If Jones performance suddenly becomes pedestrian the media will again just wright it off to the genius of Billy but maybe they shouldn't.

If it ever comes out that the Patriots are and or were stealing calls it would explain alot of moves over the billycheat era not to mention an amazingly defensed goal line stance that won them a superbowl.

This should be fun to track because with AZ's defense there should be no reason for Jones production to dip and I wouldn't be the least surprised if it does.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
Steal for the Cards. Really great trade. Cooper hasn't done a thing since being drafted.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Gotta say, I like this deal a lot more for Arizona than a couple of our high profile deals for kick returners / receiving TEs. Bust potential seems incredibly low, plus they get an affordable trial period.

I bet we were interested. But I wouldn't be surprised if we are a bit more trigger-shy than before on these types of deals.

SeatownJay

Reaction score
It's a steal for the Cards only if they manage to sign Jones to an extension. He's a free agent after this season.

Sterling Archer

Reaction score
Great move for the cards, but they will have to hope they can extend him or this is really just a 2nd round pick for a 1 year rental. It's a great get for this year though.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
SeatownJay":1xzdr1vq said:
It's a steal for the Cards only if they manage to sign Jones to an extension. He's a free agent after this season.

You gotta figure they're going the Broncos route, and recognize they only have a year or two left of Carson Palmer.

If that's what they're thinking extending Jones isn't even really an issue; you just get him for next year and then tag him for the year after that if you want to make another run at it.

For a second round pick and a bust they get someone at a high value position of need who's ready to contribute now. Really nothing not to like about it if you're a Cards fan, IMO.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
kearly":1bo2t9fj said:
I'm guessing New England saw the insane money Olivier Vernon got and decided that Chandler Jones wasn't worth $17m APY in 2017.

That said, I think New England is being cocky if they think they can just find pass rushers of Jones' caliber any time they want in the draft. When you have a pass rusher, you lock him up.

This move is even more unfathomable for a team with a QB who turns 39 in August. The Pats are the very definition of a team that should be in "win now" mode. Maybe there is another move coming but if this is it, it looks like a mistake by New England.

Granted, Tom Brady might get suspended for 4 games this year, but that shouldn't be a reason to throw in the towel on the 2016 season.
Yeah, cuz in that trainwreck of a division even 4 losses with Brady out wouldn't preclude you from winning it.

The only way this makes sense form a NE standpoint to me is if they believe he's a huge risk behaviorally after the synthetic "marijuana" incident.

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
Fitzgerald, Capmbell and Jones all coming off the books for ARZ after this next year.

Largent80

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":14sa60m9 said:
Largent80":14sa60m9 said:
New England is the Trump of the NFL.

Because they win so much?

:thirishdrinkers: :thirishdrinkers: :thirishdrinkers: :thirishdrinkers: :thirishdrinkers: :thirishdrinkers: :thirishdrinkers: :thirishdrinkers: :thirishdrinkers: :thirishdrinkers: :thirishdrinkers: :thirishdrinkers: :thirishdrinkers: :thirishdrinkers: :thirishdrinkers: :thirishdrinkers: :thirishdrinkers: :thirishdrinkers: :thirishdrinkers: :thirishdrinkers: :thirishdrinkers: :thirishdrinkers: :thirishdrinkers: :thirishdrinkers: :thirishdrinkers: :thirishdrinkers: :thirishdrinkers: :thirishdrinkers: :thirishdrinkers: :thirishdrinkers: :thirishdrinkers: :thirishdrinkers: :thirishdrinkers: :thirishdrinkers: :thirishdrinkers:

Nope, that would be Charlie sheen, oops he has HIV, not winning.

kearly

Reaction score
The hilarious part about this trade is that even if Arizona fails to keep Jones next offseason they'd almost certainly get a comp pick in the 95-100 range, a pick that will be almost as valuable as the #61 they gave up in the deal.

It's pretty insane. Arizona is getting an upper echelon pass rusher rental in his prime almost for free.