Russell Okung signs with Broncos ($53m/5yr OR $5m/1yr)

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Official.

Terms (updated) --

[tweet]https://twitter.com/JosinaAnderson/status/710581276156137472[/tweet]

Details show it's a pretty decent deal for Denver:

[tweet]https://twitter.com/MikeGarafolo/status/710571623468826624[/tweet]

Decimation

Reaction score
$10.6 million per year it looks like. Not bad for a guy representing himself! No ways we could've matched that. Hopefully we're able to find someone to fill his place with comparable play.

King Dog

Reaction score
Good for him. We really knocked it out of the park securing a LT in free agency. I guess I want someone like Will Beatty from the Giants now. Coming off injury - should be reasonable. Clady maybe?

OP
OP
DavidSeven

DavidSeven

Reaction score
I am guessing Seattle's offer was around the $9M/yr that was reported. Interestingly, if you take out Webb's deal, then they would've easily had the money, though maybe they wouldn't have spent that much on principle.

This dampens this FA period for me. Getting Okung (or another solid LT) would've made this period an overall success. But without that, it's quite underwhelming to me. Hard to see how we're any better than last year. Everything hinges on either the draft or trading for a half-broken Ryan Clady.

drdiags

Reaction score
Good deal depending on how the contract is written up. Okung has done much better than the talking heads projected, though he probably would have gotten the high end of his supposed range if not for the injury. I will miss the big guy. Now on with who the team brings in to replace him.

Thanks for the service to the team and best of luck in Denver.

pehawk

Reaction score
Good for Russ. Dude walks alone and is trendsetting.

Of course we need confirmation from Popeyejones on whether it's a good deal or not. Maybe he'll tell us he could've got 6 years at 10.6M with representation?

drdiags

Reaction score
Now Ian Rapoport is saying his deal can top out at $12M a year, that is pretty impressive and definitely hits what he was looking for according to the Times article

[tweet]https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/710558205412286466[/tweet]

OP
OP
DavidSeven

DavidSeven

Reaction score
The $12m/yr number probably factors in various incentives (that may or may not be realistic).

$10.6m sounds like the base figure. Interested to see the guarantees/structuring.

I still think we should have signed him. Unless Joe Thomas is walking through those doors.

TDOTSEAHAWK

Reaction score
So 3rd rounder for us.

I think the deal would have been difficult for us to justify considering he is 29 this year.

OP
OP
DavidSeven

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Whatever you think of this deal for this specific player, there is still a gigantic hole on the roster. I don't see any contingencies here besides blind faith in the #26 overall pick.

Marlin Man

Reaction score
There is absolutely NO way we give "Ol Glass-Jaw" that kind of money, he was pretty good SOMETIMES, but missed games every year with injuries, I would not be surprised if he plays only half the time in Denver.
Time to move on, hell our WHOLE O-line will not make 12 myn a year will they????? LOL

massari

Reaction score
Nice. So they get a 3rd (Okung), 4th (Irvin), 5th (Sweezy), 6th (Mebane) in comp picks next year?

OP
OP
DavidSeven

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Marlin Man":317tfjhd said:
hell our WHOLE O-line will not make 12 myn a year will they????? LOL

Pretty sure Steve Hauschka and Jon Ryan are going to make more than our entire starting OL.

mrt144

Reaction score
DavidSeven":1rna1haw said:
I am guessing Seattle's offer was around the $9M/yr that was reported. Interestingly, if you take out Webb's deal, then they would've easily had the money, though maybe they wouldn't have spent that much on principle.

This dampens this FA period for me. Getting Okung (or another solid LT) would've made this period an overall success. But without that, it's quite underwhelming to me. Hard to see how we're any better than last year. Everything hinges on either the draft or trading for a half-broken Ryan Clady.

I think it's for the best in the long run though.