Questions about NFL rule changes

fenderbender123

Reaction score
Nothing specific about the ones this year, but I have a few questions about the rule changes in general...

Has the NFL always incorporated multiple rule changes every single year in the off season?

Was there ever a time when the NFL decided to just let the players play the same game for multiple years in a row?

Do you think all these rule changes are a reflection of a society that has become obsessed with making rules?

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Probably answers it from a more historical/philosophical standpoint: http://operations.nfl.com/the-rules/evolution-of-the-nfl-rules/

The NFL is evolving. I think it has less to do with societal norms or needs and more to do with how to keep the product marketable, watchable and at the top of the Sports world each year.

The NFL's dominance in the US isn't "new", but it's not historic either. It's very smart of them to see how the game has become the main sport of the nation and to work hard to ensure it stays that way. Keeping your star players on the field is the best way to do that.

OP
OP
fenderbender123

fenderbender123

Reaction score
Good stuff.

I wonder what the tipping point will be in terms of fans valuing their star players staying healthy vs diminishing the violence in the game.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
fenderbender123":hxkp51bj said:
Good stuff.

I wonder what the tipping point will be in terms of fans valuing their star players staying healthy vs diminishing the violence in the game.

I think the game will progress to a point where tackling is with the hands only. I think the big hits are merely a small part of the fanfare in comparison to big runs, pass plays, etc.

my opinion atleast.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
Uncle Si":2kvatley said:
fenderbender123":2kvatley said:
Good stuff.

I think the game will progress to a point where tackling is with the hands only. I think the big hits are merely a small part of the fanfare in comparison to big runs, pass plays, etc.

my opinion atleast.

Hands on the hips only. That's how they will get them trained for when the flags get loosely attatched and I use the word loosley very well, loosely.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
When the game is so watered down where hits are gone,I will watch the new football that has them sign waivers and most hits will be allowed.Want to watch that or pansy football with flags?