Touchbacks now go to the 25 yard line instead of the 20

kearly

Reaction score
I'm really surprised that the image conscious NFL proposed this rule and then passed it. It's almost certainly going to result in fewer touchbacks.

I can understand why some would be against it but personally I really like this rule change. More kick returns. Better field position.

sutz

Reaction score
I'm in more of a "why mess with it" mood on this one. Seems silly.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
I love it.

Now kickers have to try and elevate rather than just line it deep. more element for error, more returns.

It's good for Lockett.

Lithium

Reaction score
Im confused. Why would their be more kick returns? wouldnt teams be more inclined to knee it and get the ball at the 25?
Wasnt that the whole idea behind it?

Crizilla

Reaction score
to me it seems like the NFL is trying to get more kneel downs in the end zones, so that the offense starts at the 25 now not the 20..... If they want to make the game safer.

But they forgot that kickers now have more incentive to kick it high and drop it right within the 10 yard line now, which will make the returner wanna return it even more now.

Lithium

Reaction score
Crizilla":1jik2g05 said:
to me it seems like the NFL is trying to get more kneel downs in the end zones, so that the offense starts at the 25 now not the 20..... If they want to make the game safer.

But they forgot that kickers now have more incentive to kick it high and drop it right within the 10 yard line now, which will make the returner wanna return it even more now.

Ahh i didnt think of that. thanks.

JustTheTip

Reaction score
So how long before the whole game is just being played like college OT in the name of avoiding injuries?

RichNhansom

Reaction score
The only part I don't like is for teams like us that have a premier returner, opponents will be less likely to try and pooch it inside the 10.

I do agree teams in general will go for the pooch to try and pin opponents back and I also believe kickers will try and get as much air under the ball as possible to give thier ST's a shot at getting there before the ball is caught. I think it could lead to some big turn overs as well as some big injuries.

I agree that this one wasn't thought out and will back fire on the league.

The rule change I hate is yhe 2 PF's and ejection. If Kam legitimately takes out a player VD style and gets a flag (every time) now he will be forced to play cautious or potentially be lost for the game and a appology letter from the league won't get our win back.

Largent80

Reaction score
I like it, it kind of negates them moving the kickoff line earlier. But is kind of an oxymoron.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
RichNhansom":31oja2j5 said:
The rule change I hate is yhe 2 PF's and ejection. If Kam legitimately takes out a player VD style and gets a flag (every time) now he will be forced to play cautious or potentially be lost for the game and a appology letter from the league won't get our win back.

Kam will be forced to not take a second 15 yard penalty is what you're saying. Why is that a bad thing again?

(different thread, i get it)

GeekHawk

Reaction score
RichNhansom":2b1xa3le said:
The only part I don't like is for teams like us that have a premier returner, opponents will be less likely to try and pooch it inside the 10.

I do agree teams in general will go for the pooch to try and pin opponents back and I also believe kickers will try and get as much air under the ball as possible to give thier ST's a shot at getting there before the ball is caught. I think it could lead to some big turn overs as well as some big injuries.

I thought it was 2 unsportsmanlike penalties, not 2 personal fouls.

nanomoz

Reaction score
Hate it. Hate, hate, hate it. Does the NFL really need more rules that make things easier on offenses?

sutz

Reaction score
GeekHawk":2vakw1vf said:
RichNhansom":2vakw1vf said:

This ^^^. Kam's not in any special danger of getting ejected.

kidhawk

Reaction score
sutz":jvbrqzin said:
GeekHawk":jvbrqzin said:
RichNhansom":jvbrqzin said:

This ^^^. Kam's not in any special danger of getting ejected.

Wasn't that 2 fouls = ejection rule voted down this year?

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Scottemojo":388r1e0g said:
I love it.

Now kickers have to try and elevate rather than just line it deep. more element for error, more returns.

It's good for Lockett.

Funny enough, this is the exact opposite result that the league is hoping for.

But I agree, there's a huge incentive now for the kicker to drop the ball at the 5-yard line. I don't know if the overall number of returns will go up, but they're certainly setting up a chance for more chaotic returns. Someone's going to get leveled on a high popper.

And this rule is supposed to help avoid concussions? Which genius in the league office came up with this?

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
I heard Pat Kirwan on moving the chains the other day have a pretty good solution for making the kickoffs safer yet keep the excitement of the play up.

He suggested to just make them punt it instead. You won't have the crazy collisions yet you would still get the exciting returns.

I'm good with it.

253hawk

Reaction score
nanomoz":nwwqo4p2 said:
Hate it. Hate, hate, hate it. Does the NFL really need more rules that make things easier on offenses?

I partially agree, but then again kickers have become so efficient at kicking it out of the end zone that I kind of like the new rule. I hope it makes them try to put the ball in play instead of making the kickoff as boring as the 19-yard XP.

In 2010 when they were kicking off from the 30, most teams were in single-digits on the season for kicking touchbacks, and only one team had more than 30 (the Bucs had 1 all year). In 2011 when they moved it to the 35, every team was in the double digits and the Saints had 68. The 2010 outlier total became the 2011 average. Last season, Cleveland was dead last with 27...which would have been good enough for third-best in 2010.

Hopefully the 5-yard bonus to the offense will give the kickers some more incentive to not just kick it out the back every time, but at least drop it in the front half of the end zone and let the returner consider bringing it out.