Patriots

pehawk

Reaction score
Gdamn are they killing this offseason.

Two underrated signings over past week; Nate Washington and EJ Biggers. Those two signings aren't like the Bennett trade, but, especially Washington will be a coup for Hoody.

They ain't playing.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Tight window for that group I'd imagine. But it's very Patriots to quietly get better in an offseason.

The O-line is where they are in desperate need of help though. If they can protect Brady they will storm the AFC (again)

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1an4bcuk said:
The O-line is where they are in desperate need of help though. If they can protect Brady they will storm the AFC (again)

They don't run much and Brady gets the ball out as quick as anyone. The Broncos defintely exposed this chink in their armor, but even the Broncos next year aren't going to have the Broncos pass rush from last year, and the Broncos were doing the same thing to everyone on that streak.

All to say that stealing from the OLine to pay for other position groups makes more sense for them than any other team in the NFL IMO. (this isn't a knock on the Seahawks btw, just an observation).

kearly

Reaction score
They got some good value on offense at a couple spots, but their offseason has been mostly dumpster diving. The best moves they have made are for guys who will be 3rd, 4th, 5th options on a team with a 39 year old QB behind a bad OL. Brady has always done most of his damage on his first or second read and with the exception of Aaron Hernandez he's never turned a third target into a productive player.

On Defense the Pats just lost their most valuable defensive player, but in fairness to them they tend to stay consistently solid on defense even when good players walk out the door. The Pats FA additions on defense were hopeful, to say the least.

The key is Tom Brady. He showed signs of decline over his last 8 games (including playoffs) last season. Is age finally going to catch up with him? There are also several reports that suggest Brady is going to lose in the appeal, and if he does, the next highest wrung would be the US Supreme Court which would almost certainly decline a hearing. There's a very real chance the Pats might be missing Brady for four games this year, and they aren't built to win without him.

JustTheTip

Reaction score
kearly":2qgyyoip said:
They got some good value on offense at a couple spots, but their offseason has been mostly dumpster diving. The best moves they have made are for guys who will be 3rd, 4th, 5th options on a team with a 39 year old QB behind a bad OL. Brady has always done most of his damage on his first or second read and with the exception of Aaron Hernandez he's never turned a third target into a productive player.

On Defense the Pats just lost their most valuable defensive player, but in fairness to them they tend to stay consistently solid on defense even when good players walk out the door. The Pats FA additions on defense were hopeful, to say the least.

The key is Tom Brady. He showed signs of decline over his last 8 games (including playoffs) last season. Is age finally going to catch up with him? There are also several reports that suggest Brady is going to lose in the appeal, and if he does, the next highest wrung would be the US Supreme Court which would almost certainly decline a hearing. There's a very real chance the Pats might be missing Brady for four games this year, and they aren't built to win without him.

Or maybe cold weather plus properly inflated footballs.

IrishNW

Reaction score
If I was a Patriot fan I wouldn't be very excited about this off season. The most exciting move they made actually cost them talent.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
They lost draft picks so they have to use FA more than normal

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
Hogan, Long and Bennett are all perfect Patriots. I also understand why Chandler had go. They got a 2ND round pick and an OLineman for a player they weren't resigning.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
And you know they are working on their next great scheme to get around the rule book...and get away with it! Probably my very early pick for winning the super bowl.

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":qqfccic1 said:
Nate Washington getting you excited pe? Really?

:lol:

Haha, I know, I know. Ill deservedly accept a beating when he gets cut in TC. I just like his game with Brady.

Biggers is interesting.

kearly

Reaction score
pehawk":rr4ee2ik said:
Hogan, Long and Bennett are all perfect Patriots. I also understand why Chandler had go. They got a 2ND round pick and an OLineman for a player they weren't resigning.

They would have gotten a 3rd round pick and a season of his services if they had done nothing. In a vacuum I think it was a big fat mistake for a team in such a tiny window to trade a 12.5 sack player for so little, especially with nothing behind him. I know they had fears about him being busted for marijuana but I don't think Pete would have made this move if he were in the same situation.

McClellin and Long are good values on paper but they both kind of feel like false hope. I wouldn't expect them to come even close to replacing Jones' pass rush, if they do then Belichick is a damn wizard.

I liked the rest of their moves (I'll be trying to find a way to sneak Donald Brown on my fantasy roster with a late round pick later this year). I think the Pats have bounced back after a rough start to the offseason. I couldn't disagree more with the hype though, especially if Brady is forced to serve a 4 game ban.

jake206

Reaction score
Agreed, Bill is making all the right moves this offseason. Knighton and Bennett?

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
kearly":3akb4kdh said:
pehawk":3akb4kdh said:

They would have gotten a 3rd round pick and a season of his services if they had done nothing. In a vacuum I think it was a big fat mistake for a team in such a tiny window to trade a 12.5 sack player for so little, especially with nothing behind him. I know they had fears about him being busted for marijuana but I don't think Pete would have made this move if he were in the same situation.

McClellin and Long are good values on paper but they both kind of feel like false hope. I wouldn't expect them to come even close to replacing Jones' pass rush, if they do then Belichick is a damn wizard.

I liked the rest of their moves (I'll be trying to find a way to sneak Donald Brown on my fantasy roster with a late round pick later this year). I think the Pats have bounced back after a rough start to the offseason. I couldn't disagree more with the hype though, especially if Brady is forced to serve a 4 game ban.

I think there's rumblings Chandler ain't a guy you want to rely on. He seems to be a suspension waiting to happen, at least based on rumors.

kearly

Reaction score
pehawk":30hkqczo said:
I think there's rumblings Chandler ain't a guy you want to rely on. He seems to be a suspension waiting to happen, at least based on rumors.

I'm sure that's why they traded him. Still, when you factor in the comp pick they'd be getting, it's basically as though they traded him for a 4th round pick plus a failed guard prospect. Under different circumstances I'd be more understanding, but to give up your best defensive player for so little when you have a 39 year old QB... The pats are a win-now team that made a decisively anti-win now move.

The only way Belichick comes out of this looking smart is if Jones gets suspended almost immediately. It seems to fly in the face of all the other "win now" moves Belichick is making.

kobebryant

Reaction score
The patriots sometimes feel like they decide to 'go for it' every second season. Got Browner and Revis - Super Bowl.

Lost Browner and Revis last offseason. Now adding more guys this offseason.