49ers looking to trade OT Anthony Davis & S Antoine Bethea

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
Via Peter King of TheMMQB.com, there’s plenty of draft-month chatter about the 49ers that doesn’t involve their want-away passer.

Specifically, one personnel source said they’re not inclined to trade up from the seventh spot (too many needs, General Manager Trent Baalke doesn’t want to give away picks).

But more moves could add to that stockpile, as another source said: “They want to trade Anthony Davis and Antoine Bethea.”

That would be interesting, given the veteran right tackle’s cryptic April 1 message about returning to the league after his one-year retirement, with the addendum “Dealing with Trent is giving me a headache“).

[tweet]https://twitter.com/BamDavis_/status/715937098553950208[/tweet]

The 31-year-old Bethea is coming off a season lost to a torn pectoral, and they have 2015 second-rounder Jaquiski Tartt in reserve. He’s due to make $5 million in base salary, workout bonuses and roster bonuses if he’s there this season, so they might view him as a chance to stockpile more picks.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... ne-bethea/

pehawk

Reaction score
It's odd the 49ers are looking to trade Anthony Davis now that he may be due the signing bonus he paid back last year. Seems kind of cheap and frugal. But, no way Jed's cheap..."wrong York" I've been told. Probably just a coincidence this move looks cheap.

Marvin49

Reaction score
The Bethea trade makes alot of sense. Safety is one of the few positions where they have quite a few good looking youngplayers (Reid, Ward, Tartt...even McCray).

Davis? I think this has less to do with being cheap and more to do with paying alot of money for a player that decided to take a year off when he was 26. They can't count on him.

I'm kinda dissapointed though if its true. I wanted him back.

ctrcat

Reaction score
Marvin49":5ccs5apt said:
The Bethea trade makes alot of sense. Safety is one of the few positions where they have quite a few good looking youngplayers (Reid, Ward, Tartt...even McCray).

Davis? I think this has less to do with being cheap and more to do with paying alot of money for a player that decided to take a year off when he was 26. They can't count on him.

I'm kinda dissapointed though if its true. I wanted him back.

As a Panther fan I'm intrigued with Bethea, but at what price? Why should they pull the trigger on a trade given Bethea's cap hit and age when in theory Cravens, Joseph, or Neal could be had as a promising young SS of their own in the first few rounds?

Marvin49

Reaction score
For what it's worth...

AD
@BamDavis_
Trent text me this morning clarifying a "report that surfaced" saying that the trade accusations are "False Reporting".

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Marvin49":24dy5yu0 said:

Also gotta figure in that he retired after both FA and the draft leaving the team w/out the possibility to get a replacement.

And that he sat around on Twitter while at home last year bad-mouthing the play of his teammates who he had left in the lurch.

Davis has always been immature like that, and I've also always liked him, though.

All to say that I think Davis is right in wanting his bonus money back, but I also understand why there might be bad blood and why the team might not be eager to just give him his old deal like nothing happened.

Something else to factor in: Knowing Davis, do you think there's even an iota of a chance that he stayed in shape this year? I don't.

IIRC his off-season conditioning was poor enough while on his rookie deal that he was weight clauses in his current (or, maybe soon to be current again) contract.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Popeyejones":2pppduwk said:
Marvin49":2pppduwk said:

Also gotta figure in that he retired after both FA and the draft leaving the team w/out the possibility to get a replacement.

And that he sat around on Twitter while at home last year bad-mouthing the play of his teammates who he had left in the lurch.

Davis has always been immature like that, and I've also always liked him, though.

All to say that I think Davis is right in wanting his bonus money back, but I also understand why there might be bad blood and why the team might not be eager to just give him his old deal like nothing happened.

Something else to factor in: Knowing Davis, do you think there's even an iota of a chance that he stayed in shape this year? I don't.

IIRC his off-season conditioning was poor enough while on his rookie deal that he was weight clauses in his current (or, maybe soon to be current again) contract.

I actually think he is in shape.

I remember a few months back he was talking about changing his diet dramatically to be more healthy (even talked about being a vegitarian) and when Chip was hired joked about getting on a treadmill a bit more often.

We'll see...but I'd be surprised if he wasn't actually lighter than when he left.

bjornanderson21

Reaction score
Hawk_Nation":3aoh4ph3 said:
All you can do at this point is point and laugh, what a joke of a franchise.
They certainly seem to keep going backwards, but if they draft well enough they can be competing for the division....in 2018

RichNhansom

Reaction score
bjornanderson21":1uxkoeqf said:
Hawk_Nation":1uxkoeqf said:
They certainly seem to keep going backwards, but if they draft well enough they can be competing for the division....in 2018

Are you assuming the division is going to revert back to NFC Worst again?

bjornanderson21

Reaction score
RichNhansom":yqu2k74m said:
bjornanderson21":yqu2k74m said:
Hawk_Nation":yqu2k74m said:

Are you assuming the division is going to revert back to NFC Worst again?
No, I'm assuming it would take some good drafting to put together a good enough team to compete for the division.