Stunner: Patriots release Dominique Easley

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/NFL/status/720340194176737281[/tweet]

2014 first-round pick Dominique Easley played exceedingly well for the New England Patriots last season when he was healthy. That makes his release on Wednesday all the more surprising.

NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reported Easley was released on Wednesday after playing only 22 games over two seasons. Tom Curran of Comcast Sports New England first reported the news.

While injuries have been an issue for Easley, it's hard not to wonder if there is more to the story here. Patriots coach Bill Belichick called Easley an "explosive player that is very disruptive" before last season. Easley only played 275 snaps last year, but he looked like one of the team's best defensive players when healthy. To put it in perspective: ProFootball Focus ranked him as the No. 12 defensive tackle in the league despite the limited playing time.

Easley tore his ACL in both knees in college and ended his rookie season with a knee injury. He tore his quadriceps in 2015.

Basis4day

Reaction score
IIRC people watching the Hawks war room stream noted that the Hawks FO looked dejected when the Pats selected him. Then they traded down. I believe it was debunked as there was quite a delay in the stream.

Could be worth keeping an eye on.

chris98251

Reaction score
Basis4day":1gsfilu8 said:
IIRC people watching the Hawks war room stream noted that the Hawks FO looked dejected when the Pats selected him. Then they traded down. I believe it was debunked as there was quite a delay in the stream.

Could be worth keeping an eye on.

If he is recovering we are way down on the waiver wire list, I would look for something previously undisclosed though, Patriots are not stacked on defense and to release a 2 year guys that was a high pick smells like Belicheck.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
They're saying he got cut for "off-field" reasons.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
Maybe he double murdered some people? The patriot way.

cdallan

Reaction score
Just seen a report from Rapaport saying he IS healthy. I wonder what he could have done that is too immoral for the Patriots? Off the top of my head, I can't think of anything, given that no wars seem to have started today.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
cdallan":3okh85op said:
Just seen a report from Rapaport saying he IS healthy. I wonder what he could have done that is too immoral for the Patriots? Off the top of my head, I can't think of anything, given that no wars seem to have started today.

Maybe he didnt cheat enough?

DJrmb

Reaction score
I would be willing to bet he is going to be suspended for something which is why he was released. Maybe PED's trying to come back from the injuries?

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Was he the "Real Deflater?????" :sarcasm_off: :twisted:

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
JSeahawks":2uj0hq3y said:
cdallan":2uj0hq3y said:

Maybe he didnt cheat enough?
Thread winner right there! :th2thumbs:

Jville

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/AlbertBreer/status/720361561374597120[/tweet][tweet]https://twitter.com/AlbertBreer/status/720362132563369984[/tweet]

Jville

Reaction score
Sometimes one's better off paying for a subtraction to get better.

“Saw that coming,” one of Easley’s former Patriots teammates said upon hearing the news. “Injuries and locker room cancer.”

Easley’s relationship with the Patriots got off on the wrong foot when he arrived to their rookie minicamp shortly after the 2014 draft and couldn’t participate — not because of his knee injury, but because of injuries to his ankles, arms, and wrists sustained when bitten by his pet pitbull two weeks before the draft. The dog, which weighed more than 100 pounds, bit two other people plus an animal care worker and had to be euthanized in Palm Beach County, Fla.

Easley had not told any teams about these injuries prior to the draft, and the Patriots were not happy when they found out, as the injuries set him back in his ACL rehab.

This story just gets richer and richer .......

Easley came to the Patriots with a reputation of having an aloof personality, and he lived up to the billing. He already has fired two agents and three financial advisers in his two years in the NFL, and last week hired popular NFL agent Drew Rosenhaus as his third agent. When reached on Wednesday, Rosenhaus declined comment.

Multiple league sources said Easley was unreliable and immature.

There is more .....

The Patriots grew so fed up with Easley during his rookie year that they placed him on IR in December and told him to stay away and rehab on his own until the offseason program began in April. When the Patriots were raising the Lombardi Trophy in Arizona, Easley was partying in Las Vegas.

I can't stop laughing ......

You'll have to read the rest here >>> [urltargetblank]http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/patriots/2016/04/13/patriots-release-dominique-easley/VxfcDYPp0ieEh0mDVBRp5H/story.html[/urltargetblank]

kearly

Reaction score
I thought he was one of the most over-rated prospects of the 2014 draft and celebrated when he was picked ahead of Seattle. Very linear athlete and lacking a traditional DT profile. The last SIX years, between college and the pros, he's totaled just 8.5 sacks.

I guess it makes sense that he turned out to be a Diva. Everyone was telling him how great he was before he had ever actually done anything on the field. The Aaron Curry of pass rushing DTs.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
I'm sure the Hawks will probably kick the tires on this player to see what's up, but he appears to be overrated and somewhat self absorbed and as such maybe the team will pass.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
The above said I'm curious about this player. I suspect co-opted into the right program, rather than the everyone marching together lock step way of the Patriots, but Easley might flourish. Seems like a player Seatlle might be interested in and the inside pass rusher the team has been looking to acquire.

I guess that will remain to be seen.