Falcons requested back to back road games (Denver, Seattle)

mikeak

Reaction score
So I found this really interesting for a few reasons

First the article that states that Falcons requested two road games to remain on the road and not travel back

http://espn.go.com/blog/atlanta-falcons ... ck-to-back

A few thoughts on this approach

1) It clearly reduces the mileage in year which is nice. Following this with not having to change times (Quinn knows what that did when Seattle went to DC and then FALCONS.....)

2) Keeping the team together for an extended period to gel during mid-season - interesting

3) I would actually stay in Denver and practice there. Altitude training helps and then travel to Seattle just a few days prior

Either way I am not sure that I am happy that we are second on this trip. Their line will be blown up in Denver, have a week to work just on what their screw-ups were and come motivated against us....... Guess we have to hope that they rub each other the wrong way :)

ctrcat

Reaction score
They granted the Panthers the same (Oakland, Seattle). Some like it, some don't. I would prefer sleeping in my own bed for 5 nights even if it included the 10 extra hours in the air vs the hotel for 7, but whatever.

OP
OP
M

mikeak

Reaction score
Interesting - so we get two teams that gets this travel schedule granted

Fact is that when you change 3 hours it is hard to fall asleep / wake up at the right time. So playing early (going east) or playing later and having been awake for quite a few hours is not beneficial.

It may not help but it is certainly not beneficial. So I do wonder if any West Coast team has put in similar requests

RedAlice

Reaction score
It seems they are being somewhat accommodating for travel.

Rams play in Detroit, then go straight to London, then after that come home for a bye.

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
RedAlice":1ao8y8d6 said:

Rams play in Detroit, then go straight to London, then after that come home for a bye.

Sounds like a goddam CHEAT!!

jk.

OP
OP
M

mikeak

Reaction score
I believe every team that plays in London has a right to a bye but Colts waived it this year because they rather have it late in the season and got that as a trade.....

RichNhansom

Reaction score
Wait, Popeye is telling us this is all done by computer. So what good would schedule requests be if the schedules are just completely random like Popeye says?

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
ctrcat":3gtyxdtr said:
They granted the Panthers the same (Oakland, Seattle). Some like it, some don't. I would prefer sleeping in my own bed for 5 nights even if it included the 10 extra hours in the air vs the hotel for 7, but whatever.

I am of the other opinion. I was stationed in Missississsisssswhatever that place is and took a 4 day vaca to Wa State to visit my parents back in 81. Took me a couple days to get back to normal schedule when I got back to missyetipsy, and I was not really working at the time too hard. I was on work detail between school dates. And I was very young.....20 yrs old. At that age, a bed is not that big a deal. Time schedule in body clock is. At 40 plus years old, I went to guam and it took a full day to acclimatize myself to the new day schedule....both times.

HawkGA

Reaction score
Wow, East coast teams get another schedule accommodation. Shocking.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
RichNhansom":1pfbdur8 said:
Wait, Popeye is telling us this is all done by computer. So what good would schedule requests be if the schedules are just completely random like Popeye says?

He didn't say they were completely random. He said that the bulk of the scheduling was done via algorithm, but then other elements were then taken into consideration.

Here's a line from the NFL itself:

"It takes 136 computers in a secure room to spit out every possible schedule — a process that sets the stage for the schedule-makers to begin the arduous task of picking the best possible one."

http://operations.nfl.com/the-game/crea ... -schedule/

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
volsunghawk":2i4llcbz said:
RichNhansom":2i4llcbz said:

He didn't say they were completely random. He said that the bulk of the scheduling was done via algorithm, but then other elements were then taken into consideration.

"It takes 136 computers in a secure room to spit out every possible schedule — a process that sets the stage for the schedule-makers to begin the arduous task of picking the best possible one for east coast teams"

FIFY

RichNhansom

Reaction score
volsunghawk":2t1hs9vh said:
RichNhansom":2t1hs9vh said:

"It takes 136 computers in a secure room to spit out every possible schedule — a process that sets the stage for the schedule-makers to begin the arduous task of picking the best possible one."

The comment wasn't randomn. It was referencing people bitching about the schedule. Implicating that the schedule is completely randomn and bias and/or favors could not possibly be in effect.

Obviosly if teams can request and have granted preferred schedule adjustments then his inference to Seahawks fans whining is bull shit.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
RichNhansom":22dfpemt said:
volsunghawk":22dfpemt said:
RichNhansom":22dfpemt said:

The comment wasn't randomn. It was referencing people bitching about the schedule. Implicating that the schedule is completely randomn and bias and/or favors could not possibly be in effect.

Obviosly if teams can request and have granted preferred schedule adjustments then his inference to Seahawks fans whining is bull shit.

If Seahawks fans are complaining about the schedule this year, then they are most definitely whining.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
volsunghawk":1kg4vov5 said:
RichNhansom":1kg4vov5 said:
volsunghawk":1kg4vov5 said:
RichNhansom":1kg4vov5 said:

If Seahawks fans are complaining about the schedule this year, then they are most definitely whining.

It was referring to previous schedules and I agree we should feel lucky for this years schedule. Easiest I can remember.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
Zebulon Dak":pefxjsja said:
RedAlice":pefxjsja said:

Sounds like a goddam CHEAT!!

jk.
Nice avatar! Where did they find those futuristic clothes, though? Trend setters before their time.