Josh Norman to the Redskins, 5 years, $75 million

ctrcat

Reaction score
As discussed before no way was he going to be overpaid in Carolina. No one is. Gettleman's treatment of Steve Smith should have been a clue to all how cold blooded Gettleman is. Benwikere and Boykin are good young players but corner likely in play next week now.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
It's business under a salary cap. Difficult decisions have to be made...Bruce Irvin in Seattle for example though Norman is a better player. It's why you have to be good to excellent at drafting in order to stay a playoff team.

McGruff

Reaction score
Trenchbroom":dx9zqcke said:
Cut loose before the draft--that is interesting indeed.

And after the money has dried up. If I was Norman I'd be pissed.

SmokinHawk

Reaction score
Maybe he should have signed his tender. Hard for me to see him getting what he wants in this market.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
well that game just got a little easier.

If I were a panther fan I'd be pretty pissed.

OP
OP
C

ctrcat

Reaction score
Hawknballs":2krlfw11 said:

Same exact things were said when Benjamin went down last year. They now have over $30 million in cap space and no potential looming toxic situation with holdout. He missed a voluntary workout and that did NOT sit well with Gettleman. I love it.

pehawk

Reaction score
So, the Panthers waited untilt he money dried up, then yanked their tag? Basically its going to be impossible for Norman to get his true market value now. The Panthers better keep drafting well because this action will definitely sour potential FA's and their agents.

mrt144

Reaction score
ctrcat":1hn8dtw3 said:
Hawknballs":1hn8dtw3 said:

Same exact things were said when Benjamin went down last year. They now have over $30 million in cap space and no potential looming toxic situation with holdout. He missed a voluntary workout and that did NOT sit well with Gettleman. I love it.

As an aside - if you judge people for attending or not attending voluntary workouts, then just make them involuntary instead of playing some perverse game of "Constantly Disappointed Dad"

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
"Same exact things were said when Benjamin went down last year. "

Not the same thing at all.

Without exception, the recent SB winners have all included stellar secondaries. Considering the rule changes to benefit QBs, exceptional secondaries are a must.

Most importantly, the Panthers were recently always a fantastic DL and LB group. The weakness was the secondary.

Last year, fixing that got them to a SB. Putting that weakness back in place? Significantly alters their shot at going again. I would almost argue that it removes it completely, barring some amazing draft pick out of nowhere filling that gap.

Benjamin being back is going to make a huge difference, but I don't think it is going to come close to making up for the loss in total. Great offenses win in the regular season, but we have plenty recently that were all-everything and couldn't win it all in the playoffs.

You need a good to great secondary to have a shot to win it all, and the cats just took a big hit on that front.

2_0_6

Reaction score
ctrcat":8qzvgevk said:
Hawknballs":8qzvgevk said:

That's cute, I bet that's not what you said when he got the tag.

randomation

Reaction score
pehawk":14ptzrse said:
So, the Panthers waited untilt he money dried up, then yanked their tag? Basically its going to be impossible for Norman to get his true market value now. The Panthers better keep drafting well because this action will definitely sour potential FA's and their agents.

I would have to agree with this would not want to go their as an FA right now,

OP
OP
C

ctrcat

Reaction score
Hawk_Nation":1be146bb said:
ctrcat":1be146bb said:
Hawknballs":1be146bb said:

That's cute, I bet that's not what you said when he got the tag.

I post here regularly and said one year for a player like that in his prime was worth the tag number. Gettleman agreed that's why he got it. But, I also said he wasn't going to overpay and wasn't going to take any of Norman's BS. Clearly he wasn't, and I do love it. The money didn't vanish, and it can and will be used. Almost assuredly on Short long term at a minimum.

OP
OP
C

ctrcat

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":1j5q7jz3 said:
"Same exact things were said when Benjamin went down last year. "

Not the same thing at all.

Without exception, the recent SB winners have all included stellar secondaries. Considering the rule changes to benefit QBs, exceptional secondaries are a must.

Most importantly, the Panthers were recently always a fantastic DL and LB group. The weakness was the secondary.

Last year, fixing that got them to a SB. Putting that weakness back in place? Significantly alters their shot at going again. I would almost argue that it removes it completely, barring some amazing draft pick out of nowhere filling that gap.

Benjamin being back is going to make a huge difference, but I don't think it is going to come close to making up for the loss in total. Great offenses win in the regular season, but we have plenty recently that were all-everything and couldn't win it all in the playoffs.

You need a good to great secondary to have a shot to win it all, and the cats just took a big hit on that front.

Robert McClain, Cortland Finnegan, and Roman Harper were out there for all three playoff games. Benwikere and Boykin are an improvement already at no cost. Too soon to know what's next.

kobebryant

Reaction score
Considering that a lot of the FA money has dried up, unless I'm off, this looks like a gift wrapped #1 CB for the Jaguars (who are still sitting on a buttload of cap space).

Benwikere's, albeit brief, trajectory and performance so far is that of a bigtime CB in his own right. I don't like any other CB on that roster though. I do personally feel that Mackensie Alexander is a top 15 talent in this draft though, and it is looking increasingly like he could be had late in the 1st.

drdiags

Reaction score
Seahawks did the same thing to Leroy Hill so it isn't out of the question that Carolina and Norman can work something out.

OP
OP
C

ctrcat

Reaction score
drdiags":2qyeki55 said:
Seahawks did the same thing to Leroy Hill so it isn't out of the question that Carolina and Norman can work something out.

Charles Johnson never had the tag but was cut and resigned for FAR less.

This is much different though. The chances are super slim that happens now with Norman.