Idiot trade/pick of the draft goes to:

ptisme

Reaction score
niners.... Couldn't have happened to a better fan base....

Bob Loblaw

Reaction score
A lot of speculation that's the player Seahawks wanted, maybe thought they had to jump up

OP
OP
ptisme

ptisme

Reaction score
Bob Loblaw":a861r71h said:
A lot of speculation that's the player Seahawks wanted, maybe thought they had to jump up
That makes sense....

sutz

Reaction score
Bob Loblaw":2gl6nv1a said:
So you're saying they played us?

Sorry, but I don't think so. :laugh:

Bob Loblaw

Reaction score
No not at all, just maybe they thought they needed to get their guy. If they believed Seattle wanted this O-lineman

Bob Loblaw

Reaction score
What do you know, they take a Tackle who played a ton of guard. Maybe Niners did playem this guy was a late 3rd at best in my humble opinion

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
When you consider that they had the likes of Jordan Devy and Marcus Martin playing on the interior of their line last year, this pick looks world's better. Garnet is not the best pass blocker, but he is a nasty physical mauler in the run game. It's a solid pick, especially for a team that had forty thousand picks to trade. He could be as good as Iupati at some point, and that guy was taken even higher.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Well...and I'm just waiting for the "spin" posts...

I have to admit I was initially shocked by the pick of Garnett. I LOVED the Buckner pick as he was one of the two guys I really wanted (the other was Jack who's still in free-fall).

You see this every year tho when people say "oh, he could have been had at X so why did they take him now?". Well...thats the rub. We don't really know that. Did Seattle want him? No idea. Clearly they wanted O-Line, but no idea if Garnett was a target for them. Should be noted though that Seattle takes players ALOT that conventional wisdom says could have been had later and they've done quite well with them.

Bottom line...we have no idea what the league as a whole thought of Garnett or if there was a team between 28 and 37 that would have taken him. All it really cost them was a 4 and a slide from 6th round to 7th round. I DO know tho that guard was CERTAINLY a position of need (thank God, no Jordan Devey) and the fact that he's a mauler in the run game is a big plus as I expect them to run the ball ALOT next year. ALOT.

On to day 2. :)

Marvin49

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":1duyimgx said:
Marvin49":1duyimgx said:
Well...and I'm just waiting for the "spin" posts...

I have to admit I was initially shocked by the pick of Garnett. I LOVED the Buckner pick as he was one of the two guys I really wanted (the other was Jack who's still in free-fall).

You see this every year tho when people say "oh, he could have been had at X so why did they take him now?". Well...thats the rub. We don't really know that. Did Seattle want him? No idea. Clearly they wanted O-Line, but no idea if Garnett was a target for them. Should be noted though that Seattle takes players ALOT that conventional wisdom says could have been had later and they've done quite well with them.

Bottom line...we have no idea what the league as a whole thought of Garnett or if there was a team between 28 and 37 that would have taken him. All it really cost them was a 4 and a slide from 6th round to 7th round. I DO know tho that guard was CERTAINLY a position of need (thank God, no Jordan Devey) and the fact that he's a mauler in the run game is a big plus as I expect them to run the ball ALOT next year. ALOT.

On to day 2. :)

07-minister.jpg

Il 570xN724019577 mem7

Bob Loblaw

Reaction score
Everyone killed the Cowboys for drafting Travis Fredrick at the end of the 1st round a few years ago. He's a 2 time pro bowl center now an arguably the best in the game. Garnett is gonna be a great player for us. Get the guy you want. That's what the draft is about

pehawk

Reaction score
The Seahawks certainly did not want this dude. Hopefully SF thought that and took him though. That'd be the 2nd time (we know of) the Seahawks picked for SF via jedi mind tricks.

drdiags

Reaction score
Public Service reminder. ptisme is a Packers fan, just so some don't think a Seahawks fan started the holy war to pursue. I am sure it would have happened anyway but I guess ptisme wanted to throw a match into the kindling to get it going.

May as well use the picks if the player you want is there. Let the draftniks debate the good/bad trade value. Though I do remember reading about how the Seahawks gave up too much last year to get Lockett.

Marvin49

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":5csibofx said:
Is Garnett, a road grader type, a fit in Chippy's offense though? Questionable.

Thats a fair question. Doesn't seem to be a scheme fit for zone blocking, but he is a road grader as you said and they will run power and pull the guard which are both his strengths.

Marvin49

Reaction score
pehawk":1vi5lmrp said:
The Seahawks certainly did not want this dude. Hopefully SF thought that and took him though. That'd be the 2nd time (we know of) the Seahawks picked for SF via jedi mind tricks.

Not that I'm saying you are wrong here...but just curious why you are so sure of that.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Tampa just traded up in the second round and took a kicker. I think we can finally end this discussion. We had a winner.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
Hawk-Lock":ikpg1kwo said:
Tampa just traded up in the second round and took a kicker. I think we can finally end this discussion. We had a winner.

Ooooo yeah. Trading up into the second to get a kicker? That dude had better win them about ten games by himself next year. And set the field goal distance record to boot. Wow.

sutz

Reaction score
And the Seahawks have made a couple of pretty masterful trades, IMHO.

It's so good to be a Seahawks fan.

:th2thumbs: