That 2nd round Bucs trade and selection

pehawk

Reaction score
Ummm, really? Leapfrog NE to select a kicker in the 2nd round? Were the Patriots eyeing a kicker with their first pick?

Simply amazing.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
I thought my computer was broken when the Bucs moved up to take a kicker.

One of those moves that even if the layer is good, gets 2nd guessed. Jacksonville took a damn good punter. With Russell Wilson on the board. Fans will never forgive that front office for that.

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
Best thing isn't the move itself. It's the fact this particular kicker is 12-22 beyond 40 yards. Dude's a hack.

bjornanderson21

Reaction score
pehawk":31lc8xoq said:
Best thing isn't the move itself. It's the fact this particular kicker is 12-22 beyond 40 yards. Dude's a hack.
I read he was 20-29 from beyond 40 (also not very good, especially for college).

It is this kind of draft pick where it is up to the owner to have a sit-down and let the GM explain himself. If the answer is not good enough to sway the owner then it would be in the team's best interest to find a new GM.

Trading up to draft a Kicker requires:

1. Complete lack of awareness of positional value
2. Complete lack of awareness of draft pick value
3. Complete lack of awareness of salary cap benefits of rookie contracts.

Being a good GM requires understanding how all the pieces fit together and how roster cycles flow.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
pehawk":1epp2x4t said:

Not that I think this is a good pick, because I don't .. but Aguayo was absolute money from 39 yards and in (he went 46 for 46). With the extra point rule change, that brings value.

His accuracy from 50+ though is definitely spotty. And that's where taking a kicker in Round 2 is very very puzzling. At least with the Raiders and SeaBass, the year before they lost quite a few games late because of a missed FG and SeaBass was a freak as far as kickers go. So there was SOME semblance of logic there.. albeit very, very small.

But again.. there are reasons why some franchises are always contenders and why others are not.

rideaducati

Reaction score
I think someone won a bet with that pick. That would be the only logical explanation. Can't you just see some owners getting together and betting on some team picking a kicker in the second round? It gets close, so one of the bettors says he'll split the winnings if they take a kicker so he can win the bet... Rich people fun.

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
rideaducati":1dv02yah said:
I think someone won a bet with that pick. That would be the only logical explanation. Can't you just see some owners getting together and betting on some team picking a kicker in the second round? It gets close, so one of the bettors says he'll split the winnings if they take a kicker so he can win the bet... Rich people fun.

Or kicker dude is dating the owners daughter?

IrishNW

Reaction score
Best part about it is the Buc fans think it was a genius move