Is the draft still necessary?

pehawk

Reaction score
Interesting article from PFT. Lots of valid points. It does seem a bit overkill to have a salary cap, salary floor, rookie pool and a draft.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... -an-honor/

Instead of three days of a draft, the NFL would have a second free-agency frenzy — one that could be even more compelling than the veteran version the NFL stages every March. (Remember, the NFL once resisted tooth-and-nail the notion that players should become eligible at any point in their careers to choose their teams.) A true rookie free agency process would be much different from Big Shield’s current preference for Schadenfreude TV, but letting the teams scramble for players could ultimately be better.The NFL has had plenty of P.R. problems in recent years. Decades ago, however, the league laid the foundation for one of the great P.R. maneuvers of all time: Making new players believe it’s an honor to not be able to pick their first employer.

Anyway, thought I'd offer some content outside of Marvin and Popeyejones explaining why Jed's not cheap.

drdiags

Reaction score
It would take some getting use to and put a ton of draft-related industry folks out of a job. I have wondered whether the players would ever get the draft removed from the CBA. The ending of the draft is a chip the NFLPA uses as leverage I believe. I think the fear is that all the blue-chip talent coming from college would prefer certain cities and the dynasties would make out like bandits.

Having a cap and or a number of players a team can sign from college (like scholarships) could help maintain some semblance of competitive balance but there would be teams fighting to get one or two good players per season.

I wouldn't like it but it is a logical expectation for folks leaving college starting their new careers.

Manbearpig99

Reaction score
What about assigning a dollar value to every draft slot? That money is then used to have a live auction. I know it will never happen, but I think it would be fun as hell to watch. Teams could still trade picks to gain money. Trading following year picks would be difficult.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
If you eliminate the draft then why not eliminate the salary cap as well. :lol:

chris98251

Reaction score
How many guys would be jumping to go to Cleveland or Green Bay? Or San Francisco at the moment, the word is out there from players.

pcbball12

Reaction score
It's an interesting thought. However, the NFL prides itself on parity. It is the only way to secure a fair playing field, especially for small market teams. Is it right? I don't know....but for the business they really have no choice. They have to keep parity or else these small market teams would disappear and the product would just be piss poor overall. Would be kind of a cool thing to have guys actually choose your team though. Would make it more "home grown team" kind of thing with players more intertwined with their fans and city.

I am probably biased on the side that I would hate it....but it is because I am a complete draft whore. I don't know what I would do if there was no draft.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
chris98251":24ppcl4t said:
How many guys would be jumping to go to Cleveland or Green Bay? Or San Francisco at the moment, the word is out there from players.
Their problem not ours. 8)

chris98251

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":10y2ayje said:
chris98251":10y2ayje said:

Well when Ruskell and or Behring were here we would have the same problem. We had to over pay to get anyone here as a F.A..

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
chris98251":3ms6na1l said:

That's where the salary cap comes into play.

This is an extreme idea, one I don't necessarily like. But, because of my personal views on the NFLPA's impotence, NCAA policies, and owners in general I'd consider the thought.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
chris98251":1a6suhjs said:
Sports Hernia":1a6suhjs said:
chris98251":1a6suhjs said:

Well when Ruskell and or Behring were here we would have the same problem. We had to over pay to get anyone here as a F.A..
I'm not worried about the past, I was selfishly talking about the present and near future. Eliminate the draft and salary cap, and become the New York Yankees of football. The "free market" at its finest. :th2thumbs:

Nothing wrong with buying championships, right??? :stirthepot:

kearly

Reaction score
Three reasons it would never happen:

1- Draft weekend TV Ratings

2- Current draft format punishes good teams and rewards bad teams, which promotes parity. Parity leads to hope, and hope is good for ratings.

3- Free market forces would likely result in draftable players making a lot more money. NFL owners and GMs don't like being forced to expend huge sums of cash for totally unproven players, which is why the rookie salary structure was a huge sticking point in the 2011 CBA.

So yeah, money money money. Would never happen.

Which is too bad, because I think it might actually be good for the Hawks if it did. No more 'upsets' on draft day.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
kearly":3pqr0a67 said:
Three reasons it would never happen:

1- Draft weekend TV Ratings

2- Current draft format punishes good teams and rewards bad teams, which promotes parity. Parity leads to hope, and hope is good for ratings.

3- Free market forces would likely result in draftable players making a lot more money. NFL owners and GMs don't like being forced to expend huge sums of cash for totally unproven players, which is why the rookie salary structure was a huge sticking point in the 2011 CBA.

So yeah, money money money. Would never happen.

Which is too bad, because I think it might actually be good for the Hawks if it did. No more 'upsets' on draft day.
You are right it will never happen. If the NFL had the MLB (no cap policy's) the Hawks would probably have another 4 Lombardi trophys during Paul Allen's ownership. A boy can dream can't he??? 8)

OkieHawk

Reaction score
It's actually not a horrid idea. If you eliminated the draft, and did a second free agency then it would behoove teams that have definite needs to bid on the players.

If some idiot (JJ) blew $25M+ on one player it would impact the rest of their team for years. This would make teams that are more cap savvy reap actual benefits from this, which in turn would keep them competitive. Since they would stay competitive it would be easier to grab future "college stars" before some crap team with a ton of cap space.

el capitan

Reaction score
Whilst I do agree it's wrong that players coming out of college don't get to pick their first employer, I also happen to like the current system and don't want see it changed.
The NFL would end up resembling a European soccer league where only 2 or 3 teams have realistic shot at winning the Superbowl and every year these teams would have their pick of the best new talent because they can offer almost guaranteed success.
Imagine you're one of the top prospects and you've just left college. You can go and sign for a team like the Patriots (who've just played in their 5th championship game in a row), or you can sign for the Cleveland Browns. Tough choice.

Vetamur

Reaction score
Yep.. even though there is a salary cap you would create a permanent "winner" class.. Players would accept less to play in certain locations: the winning teams and also big market teams where they can make more secondary money.

Even without that system you occasionally have players who flat out refuse to play certain places.. Eli Manning and John Elway the most famous cases. The Browns would have to pay so much more to get a major player...

OkieHawk

Reaction score
Vetamur":23flsy36 said:
Yep.. even though there is a salary cap you would create a permanent "winner" class.. Players would accept less to play in certain locations: the winning teams and also big market teams where they can make more secondary money.

Even without that system you occasionally have players who flat out refuse to play certain places.. Eli Manning and John Elway the most famous cases. The Browns would have to pay so much more to get a major player...

The Browns suck even with the draft. It's not like not having a draft would change that.

Seriously though, I don't see it being as bad as you and elcapitan envision, but we'll never know since the NFL will never do it.