Vernon Adams leaves Redskins without Contract

kearly

Reaction score
I think his tryout was more of a symbolic / political move than a football one. The org wanted to let the fans know that they didn't completely ignore Adams. Even if the Seahawks were seriously considering him, the fact that Adams supposedly missed snaps due to an injury of some sort probably killed any chance he had.

He still has a tryout with the Redskins. Even if he goes to the CFL he'll stay in the PNW, as the Vancouver CFL team owns his rights.

All that said, it's going to suck if Jake Heaps is annoying us with bad play this preseason, knowing we could be watching Adams instead.

hawknation2016

Reaction score
Nah, they were just giving a solid QB prospect an opportunity. Boykin is just an all-around better player. It would be unfair to Adams to sign him when they know he has little chance to beat out Boykin. Maybe Adams will make the p-squad down the road if he doesn't stick somewhere.

kearly

Reaction score
I don't think he was competing with Boykins at this stage, he was simply competing for a 90 man roster spot. Is Adams a better QB than Jake Heaps who is currently on the 90 man? Heaps was BYU's version of Nick Montana. He's pretty bad.

Going with Heaps over Adams is hard to justify from my view, but I'm sure Seattle has reasons. Hopefully smart ones that we just don't know about.

I trust the FO and am very happy with Boykin being the likely backup for 2016.

Best of luck to Adams down the road. I hope he never ends up on a division rival's roster.

hawknation2016

Reaction score
kearly":26b1smek said:
I don't think he was competing with Boykins at this stage, he was simply competing for a 90 man roster spot. Is Adams a better QB than Jake Heaps who is currently on the 90 man? Heaps was BYU's version of Nick Montana. He's pretty bad.

Going with Heaps over Adams is hard to justify from my view, but I'm sure Seattle has reasons. Hopefully smart ones that we just don't know about.

I trust the FO and am very happy with Boykin being the likely backup for 2016.

Best of luck to Adams down the road. I hope he never ends up on a division rival's roster.

Here's the thing. We're probably only going with one backup. Heaps is this year's R.J. Archer, a practice arm. Unlike Heaps, Adams might have a chance to actually stick somewhere as a backup. It's just not going to be here because we already have Boykin. Letting Adams free now, with the opportunity to make a roster, was the right thing to do.

Seafan

Reaction score
None of these guys are much more than backups. If Boykins had an accurate arm he would have been drafted.

I wouldn't trust any of them to replace RW if he got hurt. There may be someone who comes available this season who could give the Hawks some quality snaps in a pinch.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
If you aren't even going to put a guy on your 90 there's no chance of him making your PS IMO.

If not the Redskins, best case scenario for him IMO is to tear it up in the CFL and try to follow the Doug Flutie/Jeff Garcia trajectory.

drrew

Reaction score
kearly":2tscipt1 said:

Heaps lives in the film room which fits in with anything Russell wants to do and may help Boykin in learning the playbook and breaking down film. His chance at the 53 is non existent, but he's a reasonable camp arm and the coaches will love him.

Heaps works with a good number of the HS kids in Washington and Oregon that have the slightest chance of playing in college, and from what I've seen firsthand, he's good a it. I think he'd have a college job already if he wasn't still giving the NFL a try.

pehawk

Reaction score
As Adams is prone to do, he had a slight injury which limited his reps day 2. Heaps took most 2nd team reps that day. That was all in Condotta's notes.

Mtjhoyas

Reaction score
Perhaps it was a respectful move to not sign Adams. There's a chance they like the kid, but understand Boykin is far more likely to be the #2. Not signing Adams gives him a better chance elsewhere, and earlier on in the process.

This could be like cutting a veteran early in training camp so he has a chance to stick elsewhere. Love Adams, but he's always been a long shot. At least now he has an opportunity to land somewhere else where he has a chance at a #2 or 3 spot on the depth chart. I think we all know that Seattle is only going to roll with 2.

ivotuk

Reaction score
kearly":2pujzgzh said:
I think his tryout was more of a symbolic / political move than a football one. The org wanted to let the fans know that they didn't completely ignore Adams. Even if the Seahawks were seriously considering him, the fact that Adams supposedly missed snaps due to an injury of some sort probably killed any chance he had.

He still has a tryout with the Redskins. Even if he goes to the CFL he'll stay in the PNW, as the Vancouver CFL team owns his rights.

All that said, it's going to suck if Jake Heaps is annoying us with bad play this preseason, knowing we could be watching Adams instead.

This. I don't understand how a team that drafted Russell Wilson can overlook Vernon Adams. He's better than anyone else they have under RW.

HawkGA

Reaction score
Mtjhoyas":2aolxr0g said:
Perhaps it was a respectful move to not sign Adams. There's a chance they like the kid, but understand Boykin is far more likely to be the #2. Not signing Adams gives him a better chance elsewhere, and earlier on in the process.

I'm kind of thinking this. Give him a shot with the Redskins and see if he can stick. If not, bring him back over Heaps as the camp arm to get experience, but knowing he's probably not beating out Boykin, let him find greener pastures if he can.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
I mean ultimately it probably doesn't matter because if Vernon Adams were ever under center for us in 2016 we'd be screwed but man.. I'd rather see him compete with Boykin than freaking Jake Heaps.

Willyeye

Reaction score
I think connecting the dots in this situation is pretty simple.

Boykin or TJax will be the #2 QB, most probably Boykin.

The Hawks probably don't end up keeping Heaps, and they probably don't feel guilty about it...it's not like other NFL teams are knocking down his door to sign him.

Vernon Adams on the other hand has a lot of potential. Maybe the Seahawks even have a little bias against him because he's only 5'11" tall (Wilson is one of the only QB's that could pull off a transition to the NFL at his height). Boykin is 6'2" tall and a lot of other teams would want him. He will make a good #2 and if anything happens to Russell, Boykin could be a great replacement. But I'm pretty sure the Seahawks feel like trying to make VA a #3 QB would be unfair to him. It would be a total jerk move to keep Adams from having an opportunity with another NFL team...or even a CFL team.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
It's all a moot point as Tarvaris will be back in about a month, Boykin will be the development guy and we'll all live happily ever after

Tical21

Reaction score
Millen was just on with Mitch and said Adams had a really rough weekend, rebounded a little bit Sunday, but was not impressive. Boykin was alarmingly terrible with his decision process, and just threw a bunch of balls up for grabs.

pehawk

Reaction score
Maybe Adams is the new Tui? The new local guy we all know is great...but the NFL is to stupid to play?

crosfam

Reaction score
Boykin may be a PS quarterback - we just are not going in with a rookie UFA as the #2. I think we re-sign TJack, or we sign a soon to be cut vet who still has some upside. My guess it will be EJ Manuel or Geno Smith.

We always go ga-ga over UFA at this time of year, and they often get cut or end up on the PS.

bjornanderson21

Reaction score
The best ability is availability.

Personally I would want to give Adams more of a chance before giving up on him, but if a team only carries 2 QBs it becomes even more CRITICAL that he is available when needed.

If someone is hurt during the week they can always make a roster move, but if Adams gets little injuries on gameday then we are stuck with Wilson as our only available QB. Not only would that stress Pete out, it might affect the plays we call in order to protect Wilson more.

I don't buy the whole "we knew he wouldn't make the team so we were nice to let him go" angle. This was his best shot at the NFL right now. Taking away his best chance does not help him.

Jimjones0384

Reaction score
Injuries can happen at any time during training camp. Just because only redskins are interested now, doesn't mean a month from now other teams won't need a backup. And vernon adams is the guy you would want to call, best qb left. If he is under contract, teams would have to trade, and may not be willing to. If he is a free agent, I would say by pre season he probably would be on a roster somewhere. So it is probably best to let him go now, and I'm sure pete and John realize that. Those two guys are truly good people, and care.