Who will be the best new Head Coach of 2016?

pehawk

Reaction score
Here's the list of 7 new coaches this year. Who will have the most success this year?

Adam Gase
Hue Jackson
Chip Kelly
Doug Pederson
Mike Murlarkey (technicality)
Dirk Koetter
Ben McAdoo

I'm going to go with Adam Gase. That dude can flat out coach and inherited a pretty good squad. Watch their Rams game last year for evidence of just how brilliant he can scheme and gameplan.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Chip Kelly... Duh.

I don't know if he'll be the most successful but I like dirk koetter. Hopefully he'll bring some of the college creativity to the offense. Agree on gase. Also like hugh Jackson, but Cleveland is a career killer.

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
JSeahawks":1jpnyfqz said:
Chip Kelly... Duh.

I don't know if he'll be the most successful but I like dirk koetter. Hopefully he'll bring some of the college creativity to the offense. Agree on gase. Also like hugh Jackson, but Cleveland is a career killer.

I think long term Jackson will be fantastic. Going 8-8 under late Al is the equivalent of going 11-5 anywhere else.

Yeah, I'm torn on Koetter. I used to think the world of him then ASU. I'm not sure who or what he exactly is anymore.

Tical21

Reaction score
I agree with the sentiments on Jackson. He'll do the best job, but probably still get axed in two years anyways.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
It's tough to choose between Gase and Jackson. I have to vote Gase just because I think Miami has a better team at this point. But I really like Jackson as a coach and think he has a great shot to turn Cleveland around eventually.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
HawkFan72":b9v71tvj said:
It's tough to choose between Gase and Jackson. I have to vote Gase just because I think Miami has a better team at this point. But I really like Jackson as a coach and think he has a great shot to turn Cleveland around eventually.
My feelings exactly.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Doug Pederson is going to be a really good coach once they replenish the roster from all the awful things jseahawks man crush did.

Obvious answer for 2016 though is Gase. Miami has talent, they just had one of the worst coaches in the biz. I'm actually kind of glad we are getting Miami to open the year, had we played them later in the season I think they'd be a much more dangerous draw.

Curious to see how Hue and McAdoo fare as well.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":3egf9h8x said:
Doug Pederson is going to be a really good coach once they replenish the roster from all the awful things jseahawks man crush did.

Obvious answer for 2016 though is Gase. Miami has talent, they just had one of the worst coaches in the biz. I'm actually kind of glad we are getting Miami to open the year, had we played them later in the season I think they'd be a much more dangerous draw.

Curious to see how Hue and McAdoo fare as well.

I'd rather play them after eeek one with some game tape. It's difficult to game plan against an opponent when you have no clue what they will try and do. Pretty much the biggest reason the 9ers beat the Vikings game one last year. That and travel plus late game. The NFL essentially gift wrapped that win for the 9ers. Any other week or probably even a day game and the results are different.

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
I don't think having film to study matters much to Seattle. They pretty much just do their thing. Because of that I tend to agree with Hass. I expect that opener to be a nail biter, regardless.

Two great points though. Please help yourself to a prize on the way out for your excellence.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Has to be between Jackson and Gase IMO, although with Jackson you'd probably have to give him a few years (that the Browns probably won't give him) to see the returns.

With Jackson you get a great offensive coordinator who also seems to be built to be a head coach and stand up and take charge.

With Gase you get a great coordinator but we don't really know if he has the rest of the skill set to be a good head coach. He might, but being a head coach might also just be taking him away from what he's good at.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Ouside of a few days there when I was hoping they'd be able to swing a trade for Sean Payton, Jackson was the guy I wanted when Tomsula was fired. I'd say Jackson would be the most successful...but tough to say that when he's in Cleveland.

I'm not really a fan of Gase.

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
Marvin49":3qo9ags1 said:
Ouside of a few days there when I was hoping they'd be able to swing a trade for Sean Payton, Jackson was the guy I wanted when Tomsula was fired. I'd say Jackson would be the most successful...but tough to say that when he's in Cleveland.

I'm not really a fan of Gase.

Holy shit! What just happened? Did goth girl just reply to a non-49ers related thread?

I mean, yeah, Marv did somehow make it about the 49ers, but still. HUUUUGGGGEEEE progress, sweeite. I'm very, very proud.

chris98251

Reaction score
I think it would be easier to ask who is going to fall on their face.

Hawks46

Reaction score
pehawk":2cj22q98 said:
I don't think having film to study matters much to Seattle. They pretty much just do their thing. Because of that I tend to agree with Hass. I expect that opener to be a nail biter, regardless.

Two great points though. Please help yourself to a prize on the way out for your excellence.

Kelly isn't going to change his offense, and we beat Philly pretty easily when we played them with Kelly at the helm. The other issue is that the Niners don't have great personnel on the defensive side of the ball, and Kelly is going to gas them with 45 second 3 and outs. Philly had better defensive personnel comparatively and we still wore them down in the 2nd half both games.

I'm not sure what Philly's personnel looks like, but they had a decent draft. I'd go with Pederson just because the NFC East is still pretty bad.

NINEster

Reaction score
Hawks46":2tp9dhtu said:
pehawk":2tp9dhtu said:

Kelly isn't going to change his offense, and we beat Philly pretty easily when we played them with Kelly at the helm. The other issue is that the Niners don't have great personnel on the defensive side of the ball, and Kelly is going to gas them with 45 second 3 and outs. Philly had better defensive personnel comparatively and we still wore them down in the 2nd half both games.

I'm not sure what Philly's personnel looks like, but they had a decent draft. I'd go with Pederson just because the NFC East is still pretty bad.

Kelly has never had a run threat QB in the NFL save for a few games with Michael Vick. Now he has Gabbert or Kap with Hyde as RB.

In 2014, the Eagles had been exposed a bit on the offensive side and McCoy was shut down by some good defenses for whatever reasons. Plus you had Mark Sanchez at QB, for what it's worth.

System wise, nothing was worse than what the 49ers had in 2014 and 2015 against Seattle. Kap was probably an overrated part of the problem as he was capable of defeating the SB Champion Seahawks in 2013. But film wise, Carroll lay the shut down on Harbaugh's offense pretty good, and once Gore was no longer an effective threat against the Seahawks, things looked really bad.

I think the Kelly offense is going to be personnel dependent like it is with any other offense.

If they can run the ball well, they'll do really well. If not, will be tough.

NINEster

Reaction score
pehawk":2dwlpgkd said:
Here's the list of 7 new coaches this year. Who will have the most success this year?

Adam Gase
Hue Jackson
Chip Kelly
Doug Pederson
Mike Murlarkey (technicality)
Dirk Koetter
Ben McAdoo

I'm going to go with Adam Gase. That dude can flat out coach and inherited a pretty good squad. Watch their Rams game last year for evidence of just how brilliant he can scheme and gameplan.

Gase will be an interesting coach to watch. It's hard to predict coordinator to HC success in this league...

Jackson did well in an interim job on a toxic team so should be interesting to see what he can do with another toxic team.

Pederson I think has his work cut out for him.

Mularkey....has inherited a better team.

Koetter is big hype...year 2 for Winston....should be a good watch.

McAdoo has question marks from Giants' fans...smart guy, but can he lead?

Maulbert

Reaction score
If it weren't for the fact that they are the Cleveland Browns, I'd say Hue Jackson. Adam Gase and Ben McAdoo have the most to work with.

I wouldn't have trouble believing Chip will spontaneously combust before the end of the season.

CPHawk

Reaction score
pehawk":136f0lsp said:
JSeahawks":136f0lsp said:
Chip Kelly... Duh.

I think long term Jackson will be fantastic. Going 8-8 under late Al is the equivalent of going 11-5 anywhere else.

Yeah, I'm torn on Koetter. I used to think the world of him then ASU. I'm not sure who or what he exactly is anymore.

Huh Jackson seems overrated, add the fact he's now at Cleveland and there's no hope for him.