Why 49ers drafted Buckner....

NINEster

Reaction score
"Another piece of the puzzle to get to Wilson" - Trent Baalke speaking to Tim Kawakami

chris98251

Reaction score
NINEster":3gg1gxh1 said:
"Another piece of the puzzle to get to Wilson" - Trent Baalke speaking to Tim Kawakami

Fooled all of us, we thought getting into the End Zone was the key for 49er wins :)

pehawk

Reaction score
Buckner's propensity to be average 75% of his snaps will certainly strike fear into Wilson.

Maulbert

Reaction score
Seriously, how can this be defined as anything else but 'in their heads'? Jeddy boy should just give up the façade. The idea that anyone owns the 49ers but Russell Wilson is laughable.

kearly

Reaction score
I see Buckner as being a bit like a rookie Frank Clark. Makes a lot of splash plays that are nice, but is a ways off from being a 10 sack guy.

hawknation2016

Reaction score
It was a good pick by them, which is hard for me to admit. The Rams have shown that the best chance for a mediocre team to neutralize the Seahawks' talent is with dominant pass rush.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
kearly":1zngwn1a said:
I see Buckner as being a bit like a rookie Frank Clark. Makes a lot of splash plays that are nice, but is a ways off from being a 10 sack guy.

I think it's opposite. He's going to bring it 100% of the time and will work his way into 10 sacks. But he makes very few "wow", splash plays. I think it's a very good pick by sf, he's everything armstead was supposed to be.

He's better against the run then he is as a pass rusher, IMO.

dadof3

Reaction score
I thought Kawakami wasn't allowed to talk to the front office

Maulbert

Reaction score
JSeahawks":3iesxqx2 said:
kearly":3iesxqx2 said:

I think it's opposite. He's going to bring it 100% of the time and will work his way into 10 sacks. But he makes very few "wow", splash plays. I think it's a very good pick by sf, he's everything armstead was supposed to be.

:sarcasm_on: Because, you know, your opinion of him is SUPER unbiased. :sarcasm_off:

Not saying he won't be good, but I just don't trust your judgment on Oregon players.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Maulbert":2d8xht10 said:
JSeahawks":2d8xht10 said:
kearly":2d8xht10 said:

:sarcasm_on: Because, you know, your opinion of him is SUPER unbiased. :sarcasm_off:

Not saying he won't be good, but I just don't trust your judgment on Oregon players.

When have I ever said a duck was going to be great in the nfl? I was high on kiko, he was rookie of the year. I was high on mariotA, he looks good. I was high on Kyle long, he's been solid.

I said I wouldn't touch dion Jordan who went 3rd overall, I was right on that one. I said I wouldn't take armstead before the 3rd round, that's yet to be determined.

I'm total homer when they're still in Eugene, but I've been pretty much right on as far as ducks in the nfl. Lamichael James is the one I missed on, I thought there would be a spot for him.

CPHawk

Reaction score
kearly":1f0g1tte said:

He won't get 10 sacks, but it won't be because he's not capable. He's playing in a terrible scheme for DE to get any sacks.

Maulbert

Reaction score
JSeahawks":1muo5y9y said:
Maulbert":1muo5y9y said:
JSeahawks":1muo5y9y said:
kearly":1muo5y9y said:

When have I ever said a duck was going to be great in the nfl? I was high on kiko, he was rookie of the year. I was high on mariotA, he looks good.

I said I wouldn't touch dion Jordan who went 3rd overall, I was right on that one. I said I wouldn't take armstead before the 3rd round, that's yet to be determined.

I'm total homer when they're still in Eugene, but I've been pretty much right on as far as ducks in the nfl. Lamichael James is the one I missed on, I thought there would be a spot for him.

Nothing personal. I just call it as I see it. And you can't deny that Chip Kelly has done nothing on the NFL level to justify your blind optimism involving his coaching ability. Yeah, he won 20 games his first 2 seasons, but with Andy Reid's guys, and Andy Reid went on to turn a 2-14 Chiefs team into an 11 game winner, so I have trouble believing that 4-12 season was all his fault. Plus, when Kelly faltered, Philly immediately went back and grabbed Reid's top disciple.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Maulbert":10ecj9x4 said:
Nothing personal. I just call it as I see it. And you can't deny that Chip Kelly has done nothing on the NFL level to justify your blind optimism involving his coaching ability. Yeah, he won 20 games his first 2 seasons, but with Andy Reid's guys, and Andy Reid went on to turn a 2-14 Chiefs team into an 11 game winner, so I have trouble believing that 4-12 season was all his fault. Plus, when Kelly faltered, Philly immediately went back and grabbed Reid's top disciple.

Chip Kelly is dead to me. (Although I'd still like to see what he could do with a good qb. Just don't give him control over personnel)

IndyHawk

Reaction score
JSeahawks":2apn23dv said:
Maulbert":2apn23dv said:

Chip Kelly is dead to me. (Although I'd still like to see what he could do with a good qb. Just don't give him control over personnel)
:snack: WOW! JS you feeling ok?

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":2aaku4un said:
Do you have a link? I'd like to read it all.

AFAK Kawakami hasn't even mentioned the 9ers in weeks, and the quote doesn't turn up any hits on google.

NINEstar might be messing with you guys?

CPHawk":2aaku4un said:
He won't get 10 sacks, but it won't be because he's not capable. He's playing in a terrible scheme for DE to get any sacks.

Yeah, for a 3-4 DE to get ten sacks means on the high end he's the most dominate defensive player in the NFL (Watt), and on the low end he's on the All-Pro team at his position (Wilkerson). When he was on the 9ers Justin Smith was mostly a 6-7 sack per year guy, and that's really dominate as a pass rusher from the 3-4 DE spot.

If Buckner comes in as a rookie and gets 4-5 sacks I think the team would be very pleasantly surprised.

Marvin49

Reaction score
I don't think there is really any news here.

In back to back years the 49ers have selected 6'7" 3-4 DEs with long arms. If any Niner fan tells you that has nothing to do with Russell Wilson being 5'11" and not going anywhere for a long time, they are lying to you or themselves.

I dunno if DeForest will be a 10 sack player every year, but he doesn't need to be. Justin Smith wasn't a 10 sack a season guy either and was one of the most disruptive forces in the NFL.

His job won't be to get to the QB. If he does thats just a big bonus. His job is to disrupt and eat up linemen for the LBs to run free.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
IndyHawk":7w0v6gs5 said:
JSeahawks":7w0v6gs5 said:
Maulbert":7w0v6gs5 said:

:snack: WOW! JS you feeling ok?

Just willing to admit when I'm wrong.

But like I said, I'd still like to see what he could do with the right qb. Belicheck wasn't belichek before Brady. Pete wasnt winning Super Bowls before Russell Wilson.

Tical21

Reaction score
I'm actually not high on Buckner. I only watched portions of two games, but he spent way more time going backwards than I expected out of such a high pick. There was one particular play against Cal where he got put on skates for about five yards and pancaked. Maybe I was thinking he was a different kind of player than he was, but I think there are some definite red flags with this pick.