Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Why 49ers drafted Buckner....

Discuss any and all NFL-related topics and matters of interest here. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Why 49ers drafted Buckner....
Wed May 11, 2016 2:04 pm
  • "Another piece of the puzzle to get to Wilson" - Trent Baalke speaking to Tim Kawakami
    NINEster
    NET Veteran

Re: Why 49ers drafted Buckner....
Wed May 11, 2016 3:05 pm
  • NINEster wrote:"Another piece of the puzzle to get to Wilson" - Trent Baalke speaking to Tim Kawakami

Fooled all of us, we thought getting into the End Zone was the key for 49er wins :)

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Wed May 11, 2016 3:08 pm
  • Buckner's propensity to be average 75% of his snaps will certainly strike fear into Wilson.
    Last edited by pehawk on Wed May 11, 2016 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    @ryanadamdavis
    pehawk
    NET Pro Bowler

Wed May 11, 2016 3:14 pm
  • Seriously, how can this be defined as anything else but 'in their heads'? Jeddy boy should just give up the façade. The idea that anyone owns the 49ers but Russell Wilson is laughable.
    0118 999 881 999 119 725 3
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

Wed May 11, 2016 3:22 pm
  • Do you have a link? I'd like to read it all.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk
    Tech Worlds
    * Capt'n Dom *

Wed May 11, 2016 4:50 pm
  • I see Buckner as being a bit like a rookie Frank Clark. Makes a lot of splash plays that are nice, but is a ways off from being a 10 sack guy.
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *

Wed May 11, 2016 4:59 pm
  • It was a good pick by them, which is hard for me to admit. The Rams have shown that the best chance for a mediocre team to neutralize the Seahawks' talent is with dominant pass rush.
    hawknation2016
    NET Veteran

Wed May 11, 2016 5:01 pm
  • kearly wrote:I see Buckner as being a bit like a rookie Frank Clark. Makes a lot of splash plays that are nice, but is a ways off from being a 10 sack guy.

I think it's opposite. He's going to bring it 100% of the time and will work his way into 10 sacks. But he makes very few "wow", splash plays. I think it's a very good pick by sf, he's everything armstead was supposed to be.

He's better against the run then he is as a pass rusher, IMO.
    JSeahawks
    NET Ring Of Honor

Wed May 11, 2016 5:59 pm
  • I thought Kawakami wasn't allowed to talk to the front office
    dadof3
    NET Rookie

Wed May 11, 2016 6:04 pm
  • JSeahawks wrote:
    kearly wrote:I see Buckner as being a bit like a rookie Frank Clark. Makes a lot of splash plays that are nice, but is a ways off from being a 10 sack guy.

I think it's opposite. He's going to bring it 100% of the time and will work his way into 10 sacks. But he makes very few "wow", splash plays. I think it's a very good pick by sf, he's everything armstead was supposed to be.

:sarcasm_on: Because, you know, your opinion of him is SUPER unbiased. :sarcasm_off:

Not saying he won't be good, but I just don't trust your judgment on Oregon players.
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

Wed May 11, 2016 6:15 pm
  • Maulbert wrote:
    JSeahawks wrote:
    kearly wrote:I see Buckner as being a bit like a rookie Frank Clark. Makes a lot of splash plays that are nice, but is a ways off from being a 10 sack guy.

:sarcasm_on: Because, you know, your opinion of him is SUPER unbiased. :sarcasm_off:

Not saying he won't be good, but I just don't trust your judgment on Oregon players.

When have I ever said a duck was going to be great in the nfl? I was high on kiko, he was rookie of the year. I was high on mariotA, he looks good. I was high on Kyle long, he's been solid.

I said I wouldn't touch dion Jordan who went 3rd overall, I was right on that one. I said I wouldn't take armstead before the 3rd round, that's yet to be determined.

I'm total homer when they're still in Eugene, but I've been pretty much right on as far as ducks in the nfl. Lamichael James is the one I missed on, I thought there would be a spot for him.
    JSeahawks
    NET Ring Of Honor

Wed May 11, 2016 6:21 pm
  • kearly wrote:I see Buckner as being a bit like a rookie Frank Clark. Makes a lot of splash plays that are nice, but is a ways off from being a 10 sack guy.

He won't get 10 sacks, but it won't be because he's not capable. He's playing in a terrible scheme for DE to get any sacks.
    CPHawk
    NET Veteran

Wed May 11, 2016 6:24 pm
  • JSeahawks wrote:
    Maulbert wrote:
    JSeahawks wrote:

When have I ever said a duck was going to be great in the nfl? I was high on kiko, he was rookie of the year. I was high on mariotA, he looks good.

I said I wouldn't touch dion Jordan who went 3rd overall, I was right on that one. I said I wouldn't take armstead before the 3rd round, that's yet to be determined.

I'm total homer when they're still in Eugene, but I've been pretty much right on as far as ducks in the nfl. Lamichael James is the one I missed on, I thought there would be a spot for him.

Nothing personal. I just call it as I see it. And you can't deny that Chip Kelly has done nothing on the NFL level to justify your blind optimism involving his coaching ability. Yeah, he won 20 games his first 2 seasons, but with Andy Reid's guys, and Andy Reid went on to turn a 2-14 Chiefs team into an 11 game winner, so I have trouble believing that 4-12 season was all his fault. Plus, when Kelly faltered, Philly immediately went back and grabbed Reid's top disciple.
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

Wed May 11, 2016 6:29 pm
  • Maulbert wrote:
    Nothing personal. I just call it as I see it. And you can't deny that Chip Kelly has done nothing on the NFL level to justify your blind optimism involving his coaching ability. Yeah, he won 20 games his first 2 seasons, but with Andy Reid's guys, and Andy Reid went on to turn a 2-14 Chiefs team into an 11 game winner, so I have trouble believing that 4-12 season was all his fault. Plus, when Kelly faltered, Philly immediately went back and grabbed Reid's top disciple.

Chip Kelly is dead to me. (Although I'd still like to see what he could do with a good qb. Just don't give him control over personnel)
    JSeahawks
    NET Ring Of Honor

Wed May 11, 2016 6:38 pm
  • JSeahawks wrote:
    Maulbert wrote:

Chip Kelly is dead to me. (Although I'd still like to see what he could do with a good qb. Just don't give him control over personnel)

:snack: WOW! JS you feeling ok?
    Will Dissly
    2018 Adopt a rookie
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

Wed May 11, 2016 9:37 pm
  • dadof3 wrote:I thought Kawakami wasn't allowed to talk to the front office

Yeah, isn't he on Marvin s "No Fly" list?
    MizzouHawkGal
    .NET Protector of the Hotties

Thu May 12, 2016 5:32 am
  • Tech Worlds wrote:Do you have a link? I'd like to read it all.

AFAK Kawakami hasn't even mentioned the 9ers in weeks, and the quote doesn't turn up any hits on google.

NINEstar might be messing with you guys?

CPHawk wrote:He won't get 10 sacks, but it won't be because he's not capable. He's playing in a terrible scheme for DE to get any sacks.

Yeah, for a 3-4 DE to get ten sacks means on the high end he's the most dominate defensive player in the NFL (Watt), and on the low end he's on the All-Pro team at his position (Wilkerson). When he was on the 9ers Justin Smith was mostly a 6-7 sack per year guy, and that's really dominate as a pass rusher from the 3-4 DE spot.

If Buckner comes in as a rookie and gets 4-5 sacks I think the team would be very pleasantly surprised.
    Popeyejones
    NET Veteran

Thu May 12, 2016 6:59 am
  • I don't think there is really any news here.

In back to back years the 49ers have selected 6'7" 3-4 DEs with long arms. If any Niner fan tells you that has nothing to do with Russell Wilson being 5'11" and not going anywhere for a long time, they are lying to you or themselves.

I dunno if DeForest will be a 10 sack player every year, but he doesn't need to be. Justin Smith wasn't a 10 sack a season guy either and was one of the most disruptive forces in the NFL.

His job won't be to get to the QB. If he does thats just a big bonus. His job is to disrupt and eat up linemen for the LBs to run free.
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran

Thu May 12, 2016 8:17 am
  • IndyHawk wrote:
    JSeahawks wrote:
    Maulbert wrote:

:snack: WOW! JS you feeling ok?

Just willing to admit when I'm wrong.

But like I said, I'd still like to see what he could do with the right qb. Belicheck wasn't belichek before Brady. Pete wasnt winning Super Bowls before Russell Wilson.
    JSeahawks
    NET Ring Of Honor

Thu May 12, 2016 8:30 am
  • I'm actually not high on Buckner. I only watched portions of two games, but he spent way more time going backwards than I expected out of such a high pick. There was one particular play against Cal where he got put on skates for about five yards and pancaked. Maybe I was thinking he was a different kind of player than he was, but I think there are some definite red flags with this pick.
    I'm fly
    I should be in the sky with birds
    Tical21
    NET Veteran

Thu May 12, 2016 12:38 pm
  • Tical21 wrote:I'm actually not high on Buckner. I only watched portions of two games, but he spent way more time going backwards than I expected out of such a high pick. There was one particular play against Cal where he got put on skates for about five yards and pancaked. Maybe I was thinking he was a different kind of player than he was, but I think there are some definite red flags with this pick.

Exactly what I saw.
    @ryanadamdavis
    pehawk
    NET Pro Bowler

Thu May 12, 2016 2:30 pm
  • Marvin49 wrote:His job won't be to get to the QB. If he does thats just a big bonus. His job is to disrupt and eat up linemen for the LBs to run free.

Good job you spent two top-20 picks finding defensive linemen that can occupy blocks. Everyone knows they are soooooo hard to find. I always think it's a bonus too when a top-10 pick D-liner can rush the passer. Best not to expect them to do that though in case they start crying under the added stress of the job.

Phew! Thank goodness you didn't waste any resources on a pesky quarterback, cornerback or pass rusher.
    theENGLISHseahawk
    NET Veteran

Fri May 13, 2016 4:28 am
  • Someone mentioned Bukner is everything Arik Armstead was supposed to be? Arik Armstead ceiling is off the charts. He's just 22 years old and that's why the Niners drafted him. This kid is gonna make a huge leap in his 2nd year.
    Bob Loblaw
    NET Rookie

Fri May 13, 2016 4:39 am
  • I don't know if Buckner and Armestad will work out but I think Baalke is trying to replace Justin Smith and Raymac and I give him credit for that. Look at Bowman now that he doesn't have those guys in front of him. LB is a position that relies heavily on what the front 3 or 4 do.

9ers have been praised for a while on LB play but the real studs were Cowboy and Raymac. Look at Aldon Smith for another example.

We build our defense from the back forward Baalke is trying to do it the more traditional way by masking deficiencies with dominant line play. The biggest problem I see is how often does a Justin Smith come along and even then how many years does it take for him to perfect his craft.

It may work but I think it will take several years before you really know for sure.
    The Lion has no interest in the opinion of the sheep.
    RichNhansom
    NET Veteran

Fri May 13, 2016 7:42 am
  • RichNhansom wrote:I don't know if Buckner and Armestad will work out but I think Baalke is trying to replace Justin Smith and Raymac and I give him credit for that. Look at Bowman now that he doesn't have those guys in front of him. LB is a position that relies heavily on what the front 3 or 4 do.

9ers have been praised for a while on LB play but the real studs were Cowboy and Raymac. Look at Aldon Smith for another example.

We build our defense from the back forward Baalke is trying to do it the more traditional way by masking deficiencies with dominant line play. The biggest problem I see is how often does a Justin Smith come along and even then how many years does it take for him to perfect his craft.

It may work but I think it will take several years before you really know for sure.

I couldn't agree more.

We have no idea how it will work out. Maybe both guys bust in a big way. Maybe both become All-Pros. Most likely it'll be something in between, but outside of Myles Jack the guy I wanted most was Buckner.

Lets be real. Niners probably aren't looking at a playoff run anytime soon. It's time to stock up talent. At their recent height, the Niners were dominant on the lines, both O and D. They were powered by one of the best O-Lines in the game and one of the best front 7s in the game.

THATS what I think Baalke is trying to rebuild. Will Buckner be Justin and will Armstead be McDonald? Who knows. I like the attempt though. 3-4 DEs aren't a sexy pick to be sure, but those two guys were a HUGE, HUGE reason why that front 7 was so good.
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran

Fri May 13, 2016 8:55 am
  • Marvin49 wrote:
    RichNhansom wrote:I don't know if Buckner and Armestad will work out but I think Baalke is trying to replace Justin Smith and Raymac and I give him credit for that. Look at Bowman now that he doesn't have those guys in front of him. LB is a position that relies heavily on what the front 3 or 4 do.

I couldn't agree more.

We have no idea how it will work out. Maybe both guys bust in a big way. Maybe both become All-Pros. Most likely it'll be something in between, but outside of Myles Jack the guy I wanted most was Buckner.

Lets be real. Niners probably aren't looking at a playoff run anytime soon. It's time to stock up talent. At their recent height, the Niners were dominant on the lines, both O and D. They were powered by one of the best O-Lines in the game and one of the best front 7s in the game.

THATS what I think Baalke is trying to rebuild. Will Buckner be Justin and will Armstead be McDonald? Who knows. I like the attempt though. 3-4 DEs aren't a sexy pick to be sure, but those two guys were a HUGE, HUGE reason why that front 7 was so good.

Also, it's NOT ALL about rushing the passer.

That run defense is critical too.
    NINEster
    NET Veteran

Fri May 13, 2016 9:47 am
  • NINEster wrote:
    Marvin49 wrote:
    RichNhansom wrote:I don't know if Buckner and Armestad will work out but I think Baalke is trying to replace Justin Smith and Raymac and I give him credit for that. Look at Bowman now that he doesn't have those guys in front of him. LB is a position that relies heavily on what the front 3 or 4 do.

I couldn't agree more.

Also, it's NOT ALL about rushing the passer.

That run defense is critical too.

Correct. Also, if you have to double team a DE it leaves less blockers for the OLBs to deal with. Its TEAM pass rush, not just individuals. if you can disrupt and force the offense to deal with you it opens everything up for everyone else.
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran

Fri May 13, 2016 10:22 am
  • It's so cute, we have 49er fans telling Seahawks fans how a defense is suppose to work. :)

Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Fri May 13, 2016 10:32 am
  • chris98251 wrote:It's so cute, we have 49er fans telling Seahawks fans how a defense is suppose to work. :)

Judging from a comment or two it would appear some need the training.
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran

Fri May 13, 2016 10:35 am
  • Marvin49 wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:It's so cute, we have 49er fans telling Seahawks fans how a defense is suppose to work. :)

Well there is that, can't say I can disagree.

Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Fri May 13, 2016 10:37 am
  • chris98251 wrote:
    Marvin49 wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:It's so cute, we have 49er fans telling Seahawks fans how a defense is suppose to work. :)

Well there is that, can't say I can disagree.

:D
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran

Fri May 13, 2016 10:51 am

Fri May 13, 2016 12:22 pm
  • Largent80 wrote:Hopefully he doesn't Bill Buckner.

Speak for yourself.
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

Fri May 13, 2016 3:10 pm
  • Largent80 wrote:Hopefully he doesn't Bill Buckner.

Or DeForest Kelly.
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran

Fri May 13, 2016 3:16 pm
  • Marvin49 wrote:
    Largent80 wrote:Hopefully he doesn't Bill Buckner.

Or DeForest Kelly.

Ahhhhh....sad. :(
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

Fri May 13, 2016 4:30 pm
  • It's really, really cute to see the Niners posse telling themselves everything is going to be OK.

It kinda reminds me of something but I can't quite put my finger on it...

Oh yes!

theENGLISHseahawk
    NET Veteran

Fri May 13, 2016 4:41 pm
  • theENGLISHseahawk wrote:It's really, really cute to see the Niners posse telling themselves everything is going to be OK.

Oh yes!

They still have hope for Baalke...so cute. Next, they'll be trying to convince themselves that Chipster's offense is tailor made for Keeporpick. Always amusing though.
    rideaducati
    NET Veteran

Fri May 13, 2016 7:24 pm
  • rideaducati wrote:
    theENGLISHseahawk wrote:It's really, really cute to see the Niners posse telling themselves everything is going to be OK.

Oh yes!

They still have hope for Baalke...so cute. Next, they'll be trying to convince themselves that Chipster's offense is tailor made for Keeporpick. Always amusing though.

Well Baalke just admitted he's drafting purposely not just for Seattle but for Russell Wilson.

He hired Chip Kelly for Kaepernick.

If it weren't for Pete Carroll, there would be no Sherman or Chancellor in Seattle most likely.

Have faith that the guys getting W2s from NFL teams know what they are doing. :thirishdrinkers:
    NINEster
    NET Veteran

Fri May 13, 2016 7:31 pm
  • chris98251 wrote:It's so cute, we have 49er fans telling Seahawks fans how a defense is suppose to work. :)

It's ok.....we have Hawk fans telling us what a QB is supposed to look like as if Steve Young and Joe Montana never played in this league. :thirishdrinkers:
    NINEster
    NET Veteran

Fri May 13, 2016 9:00 pm
  • NINEster wrote:

It's ok.....we have Hawk fans telling us what a QB is supposed to look like as if Steve Young and Joe Montana never played in this league. :thirishdrinkers:

Except Steve Young and Joe Montana don't play for the 49ers anymore, we also have a whole post history about how Great Kaep is from two years ago, I may be able to find those archives if you need a refresher:)

Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Fri May 13, 2016 10:13 pm
  • Buckner: "Hey, coach. I know we're not playing Seattle this week but I was still wondering if I might be able to get some snaps?"

Kelly: "No, you are only a piece of the puzzle to get Wilson. That is why we drafted you."
    BirdsCommaAngry
    NET Veteran

Sat May 14, 2016 3:03 am
  • "So boss -- can I rush the passer this week or not?"

"NO! We're not playing Russell Wilson for another eight weeks. Now go and shave those sideburns."

"What sideburns?"

theENGLISHseahawk
    NET Veteran

Sat May 14, 2016 6:44 am
  • NINEster wrote:
    Well Baalke just admitted he's drafting purposely not just for Seattle but for Russell Wilson.

Link?

That quote doesn't show up anywhere, and wasn't in Baalke's comments the only time he's discussed the draft with reporters.

Edit: On the Kawakami side from a quick Google search the only mention Kawakami makes of the 9ers draft is giving them crap for not taking Laremy Tunsil and Connor Cook ( :lol: ). It makes sense that Kawakami would want the 9ers to be drafting all character question guys (more to write about) but all he has to say about Buckner is that he was a good safe pick (he's left thrashing Baalke for making what he considers to be safe picks).

What am I missing?
    Popeyejones
    NET Veteran

Sat May 14, 2016 8:53 am
  • NINEster wrote:

What century was that??? 8)
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!

I SO do not care about your fantasy team and who's on it!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Sat May 14, 2016 8:55 am
  • Popeyejones wrote:
    NINEster wrote:

Link?

That quote doesn't show up anywhere, and wasn't in Baalke's comments the only time he's discussed the draft with reporters.

Edit: On the Kawakami side from a quick Google search the only mention Kawakami makes of the 9ers draft is giving them crap for not taking Laremy Tunsil and Connor Cook ( :lol: ). It makes sense that Kawakami would want the 9ers to be drafting all character question guys (more to write about) but all he has to say about Buckner is that he was a good safe pick (he's left thrashing Baalke for making what he considers to be safe picks).

What am I missing?

Timmy has been right a lot lately. Timmy rules! :th2thumbs: :stirthepot: 8)
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!

I SO do not care about your fantasy team and who's on it!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Mon May 16, 2016 6:52 am
  • Sports Hernia wrote:
    Popeyejones wrote:
    NINEster wrote:

Link?

What am I missing?

Timmy has been right a lot lately. Timmy rules! :th2thumbs: :stirthepot: 8)

Hey Popeye....you're onto something....

God bless Tim Kawakami. :thirishdrinkers: :th2thumbs:
    NINEster
    NET Veteran

Mon May 16, 2016 6:53 am
  • Sports Hernia wrote:
    NINEster wrote:

What century was that??? 8)

The same century that Steve Largent played in.

So tell me, do you know what a great wide receiver looks like?
    NINEster
    NET Veteran

Mon May 16, 2016 7:30 am
  • Pretty funny watching Ninester trying to troll.

Hey Ninester do you know how many 9er fans are bandwagoners who jumped on when Harbaugh arrived? Most of your fan base have no clue who Largent is let alone Young and Rice.

You really should pay better attention before trying to call out another fan base. Your own partner Popeye has already admitted he is jumping on a different band wagon. Your only making yourself look silly with your comments.
    The Lion has no interest in the opinion of the sheep.
    RichNhansom
    NET Veteran

Mon May 16, 2016 8:10 am
  • RichNhansom wrote:Pretty funny watching Ninester trying to troll.

Hey Ninester do you know how many 9er fans are bandwagoners who jumped on when Harbaugh arrived? Most of your fan base have no clue who Largent is let alone Young and Rice.

You really should pay better attention before trying to call out another fan base. Your own partner Popeye has already admitted he is jumping on a different band wagon. Your only making yourself look silly with your comments.

Which bandwagon is he jumping to? He admitted to what? Haha.

All fanbases have their bandwagon and super hardcore element.

I refuse to believe any fanbase is mostly bandwagon or mostly "legit".

So my comments are simply tit for tat in good fun.

Can we not have any fun around here?

I'm human so I get affected by trash talk like anyone, but I don't harbor the hate for the Hawks as much as it seems nor as much as most Seattleites have for the 49ers. Pre-Harbaugh I didn't have the hate, and was ok with a bunch of those Hasselbeck teams and the entire AFC era.

There's an extra element of hate that exists in this rivalry that doesn't exist with Cardinals or Rams.

ps - you're right.....most of the zone does not know Young and Rice.....except Young2Rice. :mrgreen:
    NINEster
    NET Veteran

Mon May 16, 2016 8:37 am
  • NINEster wrote:
    RichNhansom wrote:Pretty funny watching Ninester trying to troll.

Which bandwagon is he jumping to? He admitted to what? Haha.

All fanbases have their bandwagon and super hardcore element.

I refuse to believe any fanbase is mostly bandwagon or mostly "legit".

So my comments are simply tit for tat in good fun.

Can we not have any fun around here?

I'm human so I get affected by trash talk like anyone, but I don't harbor the hate for the Hawks as much as it seems nor as much as most Seattleites have for the 49ers. Pre-Harbaugh I didn't have the hate, and was ok with a bunch of those Hasselbeck teams and the entire AFC era.

There's an extra element of hate that exists in this rivalry that doesn't exist with Cardinals or Rams.

ps - you're right.....most of the zone does not know Young and Rice.....except Young2Rice. :mrgreen:

Everybody but popeye knows that popeye is a closet Seahawks fan. Not even debatable. He hates himself for it but he can't help being here and he spends so much time correcting the minutia in statements made by Seahawks fans because he's constantly trying to reinforce the stance that he's not a Seahawks fan.

Watch, he'll disagree with my statement, validating it in the process... Unless Marvin, aka Kuato steps in first.

Adopt A Rookie: Nick Vannett, TE - Ohio State University
    Laloosh
    NET Veteran

Next

It is currently Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:47 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ NFL NATION ]

Information