Chargers Claim Zach Mettenberger

pehawk

Reaction score
I kinda like big dudes with rifle arms. However, I don't blame Tennessee on this. I think Zach would do well in a more play action offense. Kubiak could salvage him.

Laloosh

Reaction score
I can't help but wonder if AZ might be talking to his agent behind the scenes. Don't ask me to explain it. Fortune cookie told me.

pehawk

Reaction score
Laloosh":35uxdwkq said:
I can't help but wonder if AZ might be talking to his agent behind the scenes. Don't ask me to explain it. Fortune cookie told me.

Hey, that's a good call.

chris98251

Reaction score
Kids a good QB caught between bigger name draft picks, I think in Arizona he would be very dangerous and could be their franchise guy.

OP
OP
Hasselbeck

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
chris98251":skzwk9zf said:
Kids a good QB caught between bigger name draft picks, I think in Arizona he would be very dangerous and could be their franchise guy.

If he went to Arizona I'd be thrilled. No idea when he earned this reputation of being good.

kearly

Reaction score
I never understood the hype myself, but releasing him in May just seems weird.

Basis4day

Reaction score
kearly":33bhv1wp said:
I never understood the hype myself, but releasing him in May just seems weird.

He was drafted under Wisenhunt and GM Ruston Webster. Wisenhunt was let go during the season and Webster fired in January.

Seafan

Reaction score
Houston could have used him last season. Sanchez just had surgery on his thumb so I wouldn't be surprised if they tried to grab him or perhaps the Jets.

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
Zach Mettenberger is reuniting with Ken Whisenhunt.

The San Diego Chargers claimed Mettenberger off waivers from the Tennessee Titans, NFL Media's Rand Getlin and NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reported via a source informed of the transaction.

The Bolts had the No. 2 waiver priority behind the Browns.

Now the offensive coordinator in San Diego, Whisenhunt was the Titans' head coach when Mettenberger was selected by Tennessee with the No. 178 overall pick in the 2014 NFL Draft. Last offseason, Whisenhunt and his staff reportedly viewed the former LSU star as a poor man's Tom Brady. In other words, a sixth-round pick with a chance to develop into an NFL starter.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... sf26468578

Largent80

Reaction score
Makes sense.

And since he's now in SD if it doesn't work out he can get a job at In-N-Out.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Largent80":3sr0w1lt said:
Makes sense.

And since he's now in SD if it doesn't work out he can get a job at In-N-Out.
Hear Rallys pays better.

I still think this guy could become a decent NFL QB...........signed Pe.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
On top of it being a weird time to release him, if he didn't make it past #2 in the waiver order it seems like they could have at least gotten a conditional 7th for him or something. There's a few teams that could have used him on their depth charts. Weird story.

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
I feel like there have been these kinds of coach-and-QB-reunited situations before. But I'm having trouble recounting ones that worked out on a consistent or long-term basis.

Obviously Mettenberger was brought in as a backup, so my angle is tangential to this particular signing. Still, can anyone remember a time when a coach went and got a QB because he was familiar with him and had success?

The most immediate example I can recall is the Seahawks going with Tarvaris in the strike-shortened-preseason year because of Bevell. The best thing to come out of that is having a solid backup QB. I think everyone knew even at the time it was a "placeholder" move, the best of a bunch of lousy options.

And that's my point. Theoretically the familiarity aspect makes sense, but rarely provides an on-field advantage. It gets way more credit than it deserves. Am I wrong though?

Reaction score
HawkAroundTheClock":11154wtd said:
... Still, can anyone remember a time when a coach went and got a QB because he was familiar with him and had success?...
Matt Hasselbeck and Mike Holmgren?

Go Hawks,
BillA

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
Bill Assumpcao":3slp7vy2 said:
HawkAroundTheClock":3slp7vy2 said:
... Still, can anyone remember a time when a coach went and got a QB because he was familiar with him and had success?...
Matt Hasselbeck and Mike Holmgren?

Go Hawks,
BillA

:lol: :lol: :lol: Thank you.

Ah memory... I once knew thee well.