Which coaches are on the hot seat in 2016?

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
How about a thread that's the opposite of Pe's asking which new hire coaches will be the best in 2016......name the coaches you don't think will be around in 2017.

For me Fisher is the obvious first choice unless Goff plays like Russell did in his rookie year and they somehow finish with a winning record (it would only be Fisher's 7th winning season in 22 years of NFL coaching so not likely).

I also fear for our old friend Gus Bradley in Jacksonville. After all the hype about their draft and all, I have a feeling he better win this year.

Maulbert

Reaction score
Jeff Fisher
Mike McCoy
Mike Mularkey
Gus Bradley
Chuck Pagano

I was a little surprised when I started thinking about it, I had trouble thinking of many who I thought wouldn't get much slack. I think Fisher has to win at least 8 games to keep his job. If McCoy doesn't improve, I think he's gone. I think 8-8 saves Bradley. If the Colts don't make the playoffs, I think Pagano could be gone. Mularkey probably needs to win about 6, because the Titans are awful, but Mularkey has never done anything great as a coach.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Jason Garrett is the Cowboys have another poor season.

I'm surprised Jim Caldwell still has a job after last season.

Agree with the others above.

rideaducati

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":3va9ik06 said:
How about a thread that's the opposite of Pe's asking which new hire coaches will be the best in 2016......name the coaches you don't think will be around in 2017.

For me Fisher is the obvious first choice unless Goff plays like Russell did in his rookie year and they somehow finish with a winning record (it would only be Fisher's 7th winning season in 22 years of NFL coaching so not likely).

I also fear for our old friend Gus Bradley in Jacksonville. After all the hype about their draft and all, I have a feeling he better win this year.

I think Bradley is safe no matter what their record ends up being. The Jags have been improving without it showing up in wins and losses...much like the Seahawks did after Pete's first two seasons. Bradley is as much on the hot seat as Pete was after his first two seasons. I don't think Pete was on the hot seat at all.

I don't know how Fisher even has a job right now. The rams are going to have to win in order to fill their stadium, so Fisher HAS TO be on the hot seat now...finally.

Chip Kelly is on the hot seat because Baalke has to be and new GM's don't usually keep the coach that is there when they get hired. They want to hire "their guy".

I think Mike McCarthy is on the hot seat. If he doesn't win that division, this might be his last year. The Packers haven't been improving and the window is closing on their QB.

Jerry Jones is gonna have to change things up if the Cowboys don't step up. With his son getting in his ear a lot more, I could see a change coming.

Just to keep up with Jerry Jones, I could see the Redskins owner letting Scot McCloughan bring in the coach of his choosing too.

OP
OP
H

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
I think Maulbert's spot on with Pagano. They better make the playoffs or I agree he'll be gone.
I don't see Garrett being shown the door just yet, but with Jerruh you just never know.

Ramfan128

Reaction score
Unfortunately, I don't think Fisher is in danger of losing his job....unless we win less games than last year.

The move, Hard Knocks, rookie QB, and worst travel schedule all add up to a losing season IMO.

It's almost like an NBA team playing the rested Warriors at Golden State on the 2nd night of a back to back - no chance.

Regardless of what happens this year, I think next year is finally the year where Fisher has to make the playoffs or get fired.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Piping Hot
Chuck Pagano - I think Irsay and Grigson have dealt this guy an awful hand with the personnel they've put around Andrew Luck. They absolutely have to win the division this year though to save his job. Especially considering Bruce Arians has been sensational down in the desert

Gus Bradley - It's put up or shut up time for the Jags. They hit an apparent Grand Slam in the draft with the Jack and Ramsey picks (and they get Fowler back too) .. their offense made huge strides in 2015 and Bortles looks like the real deal. They have to start making a move towards the division title now. I can see Gus surviving if they finish around 8-8, 9-7 and still miss the playoffs.. but he has to have a winning season IMO to save his job.

Mike Mularkey - They're the Titans so.. no one really cares about them.. but I think Mularkey could be a one and done guy barring a surprising season.

Jim Caldwell - I don't know how he even survived 2015, but 2016 is definitely going to be a make or break year for Caldwell. I think the change at OC may have saved his hide, but another miserable year in the Motor City will send him packing.

Sizzling.. but could be cooled down
Marvin Lewis - I know he just got an extension, but at some point he has to get the Bengals deep into the playoffs. The talent is there now.. his excuses are running out.

Mike McCoy - Survived a miserable 2015 season, but with a potential move on the horizon and a division now up for grabs.. I think he will have to at least hang in the wild card hunt to survive into 2017

Jason Garrett - Jerry Jones isn't known as a patient man. He knows his window of opportunity for a Super Bowl run is getting narrowingly thin. Another underachieving season in Big D could end the Jason Garrett Era for good.

Seat is a little warm, but not hot ..... yet
Bill O'Brien - I probably should have just saved the time and wrote "The entire AFC South" but.. the Texans lucked into a division title last year because the other 3 teams were so bad. This was a guy that had a piping hot seat before the Colts came unhinged, I just wonder with the big money spent on Osweiler and a defense that should be at the top of the league if expectations aren't going to be pretty high for the Texans. I'd say his seat is luke warm at the moment, but a bad year could make it interesting.

Dan Quinn - On the surface this may seem funny, but the way the Falcons ended 2015 put some pressure on Quinn in my opinion. Kind of like O'Brien I think his seat is luke warm right now, but if the Falcons start the year dreadfully.. Arthur Blank may not have a lot of patience with that. Especially with a new stadium set to open in 2017.

Mike McCarthy - This is a dark horse pick, but considering who plays QB for the Packers, and considering the fact they have one Super Bowl appearance in the McCarthy era .. I just wonder at what point to the Packers explore the possibility of bringing in a breath of fresh air at the position.

Chip Kelly - Just because they're the 49ers. You just never know.

kearly

Reaction score
This year has less obvious hot seat coaches than most. Pretty much all of the names here are either coaches who just signed contracts/extensions or who are with patient organizations.

The seemingly most tenuous coach is Caldwell, but remember that Detroit finished last season 6-2, and it would have been 7-1 if not for a phantom facemask on Rodgers. A batted pass gets called in Seattle, a bogus facemask call doesn't get made against Green Bay, and Detroit finishes 2015 with the same record as both of them and makes the playoffs. When Stafford heats up the Lions are a respectable team.

Pagano just signed a contract extension and it seems that things have been worked out. Even if things get rough again, firing Pagano will be an expensive move.

Khan is a very patient owner, and the Jaguars are a young team heading in the right direction. I think it would take two bad years, or one epicly bad year, to doom Bradley.

Mike Mularkey. One and done scenarios are rare. Patient ownership. Young team slowly heading in the right direction.

I don't think Jerry Jones will blame Garrett for having an injury prone QB and crappy backups. If Romo is healthy, I expect Dallas to be pretty good.

Marvin Lewis and Jeff Fisher are always on these lists and never get fired. Both will have good teams for the foreseeable future so it seems all the more unlikely now.

Mike McCoy. I thought he'd be fired last year, but ownership probably doesn't want to fire a coach while battling to move the team to LA. What happens if they fire McCoy and his replacement is awesome? It's easier to move a lousy team than a good one.

Bill O'Brien. I think the Texans will probably be good in 2016. But if there is a sleeper candidate for a surprise firing, I would nominate O'Brien. He is the closest thing to Jim Mora the younger currently in the NFL. He has a temper and does not treat people around him well. A lot of the new pieces are talented, but are currently more hype than substance. If the team collapses after entering the year with high expectations, O'Brien is exactly the kind of coach who could lose the locker room.

Dan Quinn. If Carolina is bit by the SB hangover, who will capitalize? Atlanta was the only team to beat Carolina in the regular season last year. Of note, Atlanta went 6-5 in games decided by one score last year. 11 of their 16 games went down to the wire. They aren't a fundamentally strong team, but they are competitive. A repeat of 2015 would have Quinn sitting at 16-16 after two seasons, so I doubt he gets fired. It would have to be a disaster year for him to go.

Mike McCarthy. No way. Green Bay has the easiest schedule in the NFL and is fully healthy. It would be a total stunner if they finished with fewer than 12 wins. If anything, McCarthy should be a heavy favorite for coach of the year 2016, given that it is basically the "comeback player of the year" award for coaches.

Chip Kelly. It's going to happen, but would it happen in year one? Baalke knows how hard it is to recruit quality coaching to the 49ers org right now. Kelly is a poor fit, but Baalke is very fortunate to have a decent coach at all and I'm sure that isn't lost on him. Whether or not Chip Kelly is an NFL genius, he'll look like a genius compared to his predecessor.