Rob and Rex Ryan SI Article

drdiags

Reaction score
Saw this earlier today. I guess the Seahawks defense isn't complicated or physical enough to Rob's liking. From my read it seems Rob thinks how the Seahawks use the Deep safety is a waste of talent and neutralizes the player (my wording). If you haven't read it and are interested have a look:

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2016/05/26/rob-rex-ryan-buffalo-bills-interview-nfl

The article is more about the brothers and their goal of sticking it to the doubters for their down year.

Maulbert

Reaction score
Says the man who had the 31st ranked defense in yards in the NFL over the last 2 seasons and was last in points allowed in 2015, with only 1 top ten defense in points allowed in 12 years as a DC, and only 3 in the top half of the league in that span. Pardon me if I take his opinion with a grain of salt, but Rob Ryan sucks.

Laloosh

Reaction score
Seattle has been great, but all the other teams doing [that scheme] are finishing sh--ty like I did. Right there next to New Orleans is Atlanta, Jacksonville. That’s not sour grapes. That’s me getting pissed off. Because I am great.

Okay, Rob.

OP
OP
drdiags

drdiags

Reaction score
His claim is that the Saints forced him to change to the Seattle style of defense the 2nd year and that it was against his grain. Not saying the guy is a savant but the bigger takeaway for me was teams forcing their DCs to mimic what Seattle does and his shot that Atlanta and Jacksonville were right with the Saints last year as not very good defenses.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
I've never feared Seattle playing a Rob Ryan defense, NEVER.

The guy has made a living off of his father's rep.

chris98251

Reaction score
Well I can understand his sour grapes if forced to play something without the personal to do it if it wasn't his call, That's like trying to play a Triangle offense in Basketball with nobody over 6'5" on the roster.

El Caliente

Reaction score
As a Saints fan, he is right (about the Seahawks comment). There is only one Seattle defense, and there was only one 49ers defense a few years back, and there is only one Warriors, one Spurs, one Alabama, etc., etc., etc. You can't just go and mimic the best systems unless you have all the characteristics of those systems. We (the Saints) don't have the players Seattle has, so why try mimicking them? You need to be your own man, and make your own path rather than follow in the footsteps of someone else, or you will only keep coming up 2nd to the person you are following.

Rob Ryan and the Saints are better off apart from each other, but they both shoulder the blame.

Maulbert

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":bbb50wiq said:
I've never feared Seattle playing a Rob Ryan defense, NEVER.

The guy has made a living off of his father's rep.

And his brother's. It's easy to mock Rex for being a blowhard, but he had some great defenses in Baltimore and New York.

Vetamur

Reaction score
El Caliente":1stvhfbx said:
As a Saints fan, he is right (about the Seahawks comment). There is only one Seattle defense, and there was only one 49ers defense a few years back, and there is only one Warriors, one Spurs, one Alabama, etc., etc., etc. You can't just go and mimic the best systems unless you have all the characteristics of those systems. We (the Saints) don't have the players Seattle has, so why try mimicking them? You need to be your own man, and make your own path rather than follow in the footsteps of someone else, or you will only keep coming up 2nd to the person you are following.

Rob Ryan and the Saints are better off apart from each other, but they both shoulder the blame.

Dont quite agree with the details of what you are saying, but agree with over all sentiment, and what Rob Ryan says to an extent.

I havent seen any other team copy the Seahawk scheme and do it well. Some schemes translate well because their base are the really simply fundamentals. Some need constant tinkering and the ability to really identify the specialty parts.

I think the Saints took the wrong message away. We killed the Broncos in the Super Bowl..so they built a great defense.. Right Message. A couple teams went and tried to make another SEAHAWK defense.. wrong message. You saw it in the offseason after our Super Bowl win.. a couple teams went hard after safeties, thinking that is the first step in making a Seattle D.

I dont have much of an opinon on Rob.. the numbers dont look good. But you have to let him build HIS D if he is your D guy.

kearly

Reaction score
Rob Ryan makes a fair point. You look at the other defenses in the NFL that attempted to copy the Seahawks defense and they have all been terrible. It was even pretty bad in Seattle during Carroll's first year here because he didn't have the talent yet.

Copying Pete Carroll's methods without having Pete Carroll to do coach the players and hoping for a great defense would be like copying Phil Jackson's strategies without Phil Jackson or his star players and expecting a three-peat. Some things just can't be imitated.

OP
OP
drdiags

drdiags

Reaction score
To me I took his view of the Seattle's defense as an unsophisticated defense that doesn't allow him to show his true greatness. There was a bit of disdain from his comments, as well as Rex so the article had me wondering what the general consensus is about what the Seahawks run on defense and whether it is something DCs deem worthy or just a wild-cat type situation that they have to suffer through until it runs its course.

Is is a sustainable defense? The answer seems to be no, or at least that is what I take away from Ryan's comments.

rideaducati

Reaction score
drdiags":15ykrtlj said:
To me I took his view of the Seattle's defense as an unsophisticated defense that doesn't allow him to show his true greatness. There was a bit of disdain from his comments, as well as Rex so the article had me wondering what the general consensus is about what the Seahawks run on defense and whether it is something DCs deem worthy or just a wild-cat type situation that they have to suffer through until it runs its course.

Is is a sustainable defense? The answer seems to be no, or at least that is what I take away from Ryan's comments.

The Seahawks defense is simplistic because the players are just really good at doing what they are asked to do. They play fast because they aren't asked to do what they aren't good at doing. When other teams try to mimic what the Seahawks do, it doesn't turn out well because those teams don't have the right players. Their players might be great, just not great at doing what the Seahawks do.

I equate other teams trying to copy the Seahawks as them trying to run in a NASCAR race with a dragster or funny car. It doesn't work and teams end up taking their players away from what they do well and trying to put them in a system instead of playing to each player's strength.

I think Rob knew he didn't have the right players to run the Seahawks system, but was told to run that system anyway. Poor choice by Rob for not standing up and saying that he didn't have the right personnel and poor choice by whoever forced him to do it in the first place.

chris98251

Reaction score
rideaducati":t5bzlbfy said:
drdiags":t5bzlbfy said:

The Seahawks defense is simplistic because the players are just really good at doing what they are asked to do. They play fast because they aren't asked to do what they aren't good at doing. When other teams try to mimic what the Seahawks do, it doesn't turn out well because those teams don't have the right players. Their players might be great, just not great at doing what the Seahawks do.

I equate other teams trying to copy the Seahawks as them trying to run in a NASCAR race with a dragster or funny car. It doesn't work and teams end up taking their players away from what they do well and trying to put them in a system instead of playing to each player's strength.

I think Rob knew he didn't have the right players to run the Seahawks system, but was told to run that system anyway. Poor choice by Rob for not standing up and saying that he didn't have the right personnel and poor choice by whoever forced him to do it in the first place.

You think that a Ryan didn't stand up and bitch and moan about it? He may not have had a choice when given his direction by ownership to do what the Seahawks do after beating them handily. I think Payton would have understood, not so sure about the ownership who is under a Game of Thrones assassination plot by what the media is saying.

El Caliente

Reaction score
chris98251":268h1lg1 said:
You think that a Ryan didn't stand up and bitch and moan about it? He may not have had a choice when given his direction by ownership to do what the Seahawks do after beating them handily. I think Payton would have understood, not so sure about the ownership who is under a Game of Thrones assassination plot by what the media is saying.

I have never heard a clearer version of our ownership situation than this. You would think that we were witnissing the final days of Ned Stark.

I am hopeful that Dennis Allen will be able to fix things this year, but as I tried saying before (and was more eloquently put by other posters) you can't recreate the Seahawks defense without the players or coaches. Hell, look at Jacksonville and Atlanta, they can't recreate the Seahawks defense, and they were the coordinators for the Seahaws.