Former Seahawk Walter Thurmond retires

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/737677967887728640[/tweet]

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Good player but injury prone. Smart to make your money, get a ring and get out.

sutz

Reaction score
Well, that answers that question. Thanks for the memories, brief as they were. Almost all former Seahawks are great in my book.

Jville

Reaction score
Well why not?

Walter has his superbowl ring.

He played on the NFL's most dominant defense.

And he has his place in history as a member of the LOB.

253hawk

Reaction score
Glasgow Seahawk":e5bnzf3q said:
Good player but injury prone. Smart to make your money, buy some crazy clothes, get a ring and get out.

Fixed that for ya.

Tical21

Reaction score
What happened? I thought he played pretty well last year. Were there injury concerns or did nobody want him?

Sterling Archer

Reaction score
He played really well as a safety last year in Philly, but it was one of his few years where he wasn't injured. Kind of an odd choice to retire but he's probably been in some level of pain since college so more power to him.

Maulbert

Reaction score
I think he had the talent to be a good starter if he had just been able to stay healthy, but if he had, it would have taken longer to realize what we truly had in Sherman, so in a way, I'm glad he didn't. I personally think Lane is better, and Maxwell was about the same. I hope he has fun in retirement. :thirishdrinkers:

JSeahawks

Reaction score
I always really liked this dude back to his days in Eugene. Wish he could have been healthier in Seattle. I think he could have been a really good one.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
GeekHawk":3kbi2zlq said:
You guys probably don't know what it feels like to be in constant pain. Mote power to him for getting himself set up for life.
I do and it's the exact reason I support his decision. You boys have no clue what physical pain is until you deal with my particular disability and I have it easy. Just wait until you have MD or MS. Those two disabilities are off the charts yet still let's you be functional like myself in most cases for years.

mikeak

Reaction score
This was the year he was going to cash in big time. He has made a decent living but nowhere close to retire and live in luxury for the rest of your life kind of money.

I am really surprised that he retired and respect him for it but this was going to be the pay-out year. Not 100% convinced he doesn't change his mind....

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":3el0ibnd said:
GeekHawk":3el0ibnd said:
You guys probably don't know what it feels like to be in constant pain. Mote power to him for getting himself set up for life.
I do and it's the exact reason I support his decision. You boys have no clue what physical pain is until you deal with my particular disability and I have it easy. Just wait until you have MD or MS. Those two disabilities are off the charts yet still let's you be functional like myself in most cases for years.
I don't know what MD(muscular dystrophy?) is but I have MS. It's a monster but not the end of life. I am not in pain(yet-crossing fingers) as it is attacking my brain and my normal mobility is basically gone. MS is all over the place. Some people don't seem that bad and some people are(like me) on the other end of the spectrum. My sister has back pain from a spinal fusion. She is always in pain, especially when sitting for long periods of time. I don't know if I would trade her or not. Chronic pain is a biatch.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Seahwkgal":8jp5pnku said:
MizzouHawkGal":8jp5pnku said:
GeekHawk":8jp5pnku said:
I don't know what MD(muscular dystrophy?) is but I have MS. It's a monster but not the end of life. I am not in pain(yet-crossing fingers) as it is attacking my brain and my normal mobility is basically gone. MS is all over the place. Some people don't seem that bad and some people are(like me) on the other end of the spectrum. My sister has back pain from a spinal fusion. She is always in pain, especially when sitting for long periods of time. I don't know if I would trade her or not. Chronic pain is a biatch.
Sorry to hear this but your attitude towards it is great.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Seahwkgal":yd6hnb2s said:
MizzouHawkGal":yd6hnb2s said:
GeekHawk":yd6hnb2s said:
MD is Muscular Dsytophy and there are various grades and types. The worst are death sentences that kill by 18-22 years. It's basically a particular form of Lou Gerhings disease.. My is cerebral palsy and like MD there are various grades and collateral effects such as mental re.tardation. I'm totally normal but my brain has trouble talking to my body hence I make adjustments and the physical pain is ever present because I'm pushing by body beyond what my brain thinks is possible so she is pissed at me and tries to get me back in any way possible that's under her control. And well that pretty means everything physically possible.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":nv17da7w said:
You both have my sympathy ladies.
No worries, as I said previously I have it easy. I work 50-55 hours a week minimum. I make pretty good money, at least enough to get a hybrid pad tommorow. Johanna is off the phone for internet. I'm pretty excited because my computer boy said I got a heavy duty hybrid at an insane price. And we're getting Google fIber in 1-2 months maximum.

My niece does not have it so good on the other hand. But she is the happiness child you'd ever hope to see. My brother and his wife say she's a blessing and I agree.

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":4b46zt4i said:
Seahwkgal":4b46zt4i said:
MizzouHawkGal":4b46zt4i said:
GeekHawk":4b46zt4i said:
MD is Muscular Dsytophy and there are various grades and types. The worst are death sentences that kill by 18-22 years. It's basically a particular form of Lou Gerhings disease.. My is cerebral palsy and like MD there are various grades and collateral effects such as mental *mod edit*. I'm totally normal but my brain has trouble talking to my body hence I make adjustments and the physical pain is ever present because I'm pushing by body beyond what my brain thinks is possible so she is pissed at me and tries to get me back in any way possible that's under her control. And well that pretty means everything physically possible.
Good to know that you are fighting the good fight on this. You have my kudos. Seriously. :thirishdrinkers: These diseases are a pain in the rear. In my case, I got a double-whammy. When I was 11, I was in a serious auto accident that left me paralyzed on my left side. The rear view mirror flew off the attachment during impact. I was sitting in a station wagon right behind the front seat reading a book(no seat belt on). The impact flew me straight forward into the attachment for the mirror. The attachment impaled the top right side of my head. So, the damaged brain affected my left side, the worst of which was my leg, particularly my toes and ankle. I have a plate in my head to protect the loss of bone due to the impact. It's actually harder than bone so if I get hit in the head, that's where it should be. lol.
Anyways, I was able to recuperate pretty well after that. While I never got back 100% of my left leg coordination, I did manage to play sports very well after. Basketball and Track and Field were my choices. In fact, naturally I was gifted with speed. I could run a 50 yard dash before the accident in 6.6 seconds at the age of 10. Lightening fast. I was athletically gifted in that area. So, I participated in that sport 'after' the accident and set a school record at the age of 14 for the 100 yard dash @ 12.4 seconds. I could still run very fast after the accident. My best 100 meter time at age 17 was 12.9 seconds. Not to shabby and I could long jump 17' 4". My father always said that if I hadn't been hurt, I would have been and Olympic level sprinter. Enough of what coulda shoulda. I basically recovered enough to the point where you would have never known that I was ever paralyzed. The double whammy was the fact that MS attacked the same part of my brain that was originally damaged. So, basically I am where I was right after my accident except my brain is not reteaching my limb to work again. I can walk but not well and not long distances. The biggest bitch of this disease is the fatigue. If I am on my limbs(legs) too long, it gets extremely tired and I have to rest them. I think I had MS longer than I realized. I never got the typical symptoms until 'boom' it hit me hard in 2011. The only prior symptom I had was a gimp in my left leg that I attributed to the accident so I never went to the doctor. I just went to the gym and started working out like a fiend. I was in great shape, which actually masked the MS until it was too late. Go figure. That gimp never went away even though I was in the best shape of my life. I looked great in a bikini. When it hit me, it was like a train wreck. It got so bad that I had trouble controlling my bladder and bowels. I always felt like sleeping all the time and I haven't even mentioned the brain fog and cognitive issues. My short term memory is terrible. The meds I take for the disease itself do not relieve these symptoms. They just slow the progression. The one medication I take that relieves the symptoms is LDN(low dose naltrexone). I also take a ton of dietary supplements that help. Vitamin B complex and D3 are a must for me. I don't feel like sleeping all day long and the bodily functions are normal again. Even my brain fog is better. I am just so happy that I don't have ALS(Lou Gehrig's disease). I would be dead if I did. It took forever to get on disability but since I had a high-paying job for so many years, I get a decent monthly amount. I would still rather be normal and working again. I would love to be able to dance again.
My mobility limitations suck but thanks to LDN I am not as bad as I was(I can shower standing up now-yay!). Even with that, I still have major limitations but I just roll with it and keep my head up. I refuse to get depressed. It's pointless.
Sorry for the hi-jack here. I am so damned thankful that I am not dealing with chronic pain but there is no guarantee that I won't end up that way. If I do, I will be using cannabis to manage it since I cannot take any opiates while taking LDN and there is no way I give up taking my miracle drug that has helped me to manage MS.

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":24fik3bk said:
hawksfansinceday1":24fik3bk said:
You both have my sympathy ladies.
No worries, as I said previously I have it easy. I work 50-55 hours a week minimum. I make pretty good money, at least enough to get a hybrid pad tommorow. Johanna is off the phone for internet. I'm pretty excited because my computer boy said I got a heavy duty hybrid at an insane price. And we're getting Google fIber in 1-2 months maximum.

My niece does not have it so good on the other hand. But she is the happiness child you'd ever hope to see. My brother and his wife say she's a blessing and I agree.
Your niece has the same disease as you? If so, is this genetically connected? Or does she have something else? Wow.