Most devastating losses in history for all 32 teams

Vetamur

Reaction score
Yep..fun off season filler type article. 3 teams out of 31 (cant count our own) had their most devastating game against Seattle..which is awesome. Seattle, Killer of Hopes.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
cant really think of one for the hawks without looking at the list...after all beastmode got the ball right?

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
I think our Superbowl vs the Steelers was the most devastating loss. The loss against the Pats for me wasnt as big a deal since we just won the year before.

Msfann

Reaction score
WilsonMVP":l0jggiv0 said:
I think our Superbowl vs the Steelers was the most devastating loss. The loss against the Pats for me wasnt as big a deal since we just won the year before.

This is exactly how feel too.

kearly

Reaction score
It took me almost a decade to get over XL. I got over XLIX in a week.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
They mention the most devastating loss for the 49ers was the SB loss to Ravens but I think their loss to the Seahawks in the NFCCG the following season was more devastating to them. It started the unfolding of 49ers to the state they are in now.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
hawkfan68":191826sn said:
They mention the most devastating loss for the 49ers was the SB loss to Ravens but I think their loss to the Seahawks in the NFCCG the following season was more devastating to them. It started the unfolding of 49ers to the state they are in now.
Agree. It was also the beginning of the end of Colin Kaepernick's career.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
hawkfan68":30bxxwnw said:
You'll get very few niners fans to admit that though. One of the reasons why Sherman is universally hated by that group is the rant after the game...... But it wasn't the most devastating... Right....

For me it's when I realized zebras and the NFL were not going to let the Hawks win XL*, the result was decided last before the first snap IMHO.

XLIX was devastating because all he had to do was not brainfart, hand the ball off to Lynch and be back to back champs.
Then Bevell happened. XLIX complete self destruction.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
WilsonMVP":rmuzy59f said:

Agreed. Had a good cry after XL.

After the pats Super Bowl I was baffled by the call but not emotionally devastated.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
JSeahawks":2ptg1nqa said:
WilsonMVP":2ptg1nqa said:

Agreed. Had a good cry after XL.

After the pats Super Bowl I was baffled by the call but not emotionally devastated.

That and like half the defense was injured or at least most of our secondary was injured.

OP
OP
HAWKAMANIA

HAWKAMANIA

Reaction score
I came to terms with losing XL* during the game. It was in the hands of the refs and I figured I had better start accepting that. Losing XLIX was tough because we had it wrapped up. No way would our team blow a 10 point lead. And then we did, and we still had a shot to win it just by handing it to the most bruising tailback in the league, and well, you know. Plus, to lose to the team that is essentially the nfl version of the "Empire" from Star Wars. It hurt. And then my grandma died the very next day. That loss killed my grandma...that's how devastating it was.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
GeekHawk":2olv20xd said:
Beating Miami and then losing to the Raiders (of all teams!) in the AFC Championship Game hurt a lot, too.
Yes, especially given we were 12-4 that year and arguably the second best team in that year. But that New England game was a soul stealer for any organization not run by John and Pete or Bill and Robert Kraft.

Bryce84

Reaction score
For me, XL was far more devastating and agonizing to experience. Seeing things unfold with the refs clearly against us kept things out of our own control. No matter how much the team clawed and scratched for a fighting chance it kept getting taken away and that was so heartbreaking.

XLIX wasn't nearly as painful. Part of it for me was that we were EXTREMELY fortunate to even be there with the miracle comeback against GB. Yes, it sucks to lose and as much as people like to bash the decision to pass, there was sound logic behind it for clock management reasons. Personally, I don't hate the decision to pass, its the type of pass they opted for that bothered me most, especially when we had 6'5" Chris Matthews going strong that day. Ultimately, the game was decided by the players on the field and their execution (or lack thereof), so it's hard to have that sting as much.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Bryce84":26jxwgoo said:
For me, XL was far more devastating and agonizing to experience. Seeing things unfold with the refs clearly against us kept things out of our own control. No matter how much the team clawed and scratched for a fighting chance it kept getting taken away and that was so heartbreaking.

XLIX wasn't nearly as painful. Part of it for me was that we were EXTREMELY fortunate to even be there with the miracle comeback against GB. Yes, it sucks to lose and as much as people like to bash the decision to pass, there was sound logic behind it for clock management reasons. Personally, I don't hate the decision to pass, its the type of pass they opted for that bothered me most, especially when we had 6'5" Chris Matthews going strong that day. Ultimately, the game was decided by the players on the field and their execution (or lack thereof), so it's hard to have that sting as much.
Exactly my feelings all the way around. XL* was worse by far cuz nothing Seattle did was gonna change the outcome. And yeah, Hawks were most fortunate to even be in XLIX.

Maulbert

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":3qqocm9u said:
GeekHawk":3qqocm9u said:
Beating Miami and then losing to the Raiders (of all teams!) in the AFC Championship Game hurt a lot, too.
Yes, especially given we were 12-4 that year and arguably the second best team in that year. But that New England game was a soul stealer for any organization not run by John and Pete or Bill and Robert Kraft.

We were 9-7 the year we beat Miami and lost to the Raiders in the championship game, even though we swept them during the regular season. The next year (1984) we were 12-4 even though Curt Warner tore his ACL in the season opener vs. Cleveland. We beat the Raiders in the wild card game and then lost the rematch against Miami in the divisional round.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Maulbert":2vv5dfxd said:
MizzouHawkGal":2vv5dfxd said:
GeekHawk":2vv5dfxd said:

We were 9-7 the year we beat Miami and lost to the Raiders in the championship game, even though we swept them during the regular season. The next year (1984) we were 12-4 even though Curt Warner tore his ACL in the season opener vs. Cleveland. We beat the Raiders in the wild card game and then lost the rematch against Miami in the divisional round.
Yeah, that was the year I meant. Basically the first time I even gave have a second of attention to the NFL it took 3-4 years later and Cortez to actually start my real interest in the game and the Seahawks.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":2223g8a9 said:
hawkfan68":2223g8a9 said:
You'll get very few niners fans to admit that though. One of the reasons why Sherman is universally hated by that group is the rant after the game...... But it wasn't the most devastating... Right....

Y'all seriously can't be narcissistic enough to actually believe this.

It's like saying the Seahawks' loss to the Falcons in the divisional round was more heartbreaking than the end-of-game Super Bowl loss.

The "Quest for Six" thing was really real. That the 9ers had already won five Super Bowls without ever having lost one was also a huge point of pride for 9ers fans, which also disappeared with that end-of-game Super Bowl loss.

TBH, 9ers fans still talk about Kyle Williams fumbling away the NFC Champtionship game at the end of the 4th quarter the year before they lost the Super Bowl as much or more than they talk about the Championship game against the Seahawks the year after they lost the Super Bowl. That game was a big deal because the 9ers had sucked for a decade before that season. They were finally back, and Kyle Williams literally gave a Super Bowl appearance away when all he had to do was fair catch a punt.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
Popeyejones":5d5sq02i said:
Sports Hernia":5d5sq02i said:
hawkfan68":5d5sq02i said:

Y'all seriously can't be narcissistic enough to actually believe this.

It's like saying the Seahawks' loss to the Falcons in the divisional round was more heartbreaking than the end-of-game Super Bowl loss.

The "Quest for Six" thing was really real. That the 9ers had already won five Super Bowls without ever having lost one was also a huge point of pride for 9ers fans, which also disappeared with that end-of-game Super Bowl loss.

TBH, 9ers fans still talk about Kyle Williams fumbling away the NFC Champtionship game at the end of the 4th quarter the year before they lost the Super Bowl as much or more than they talk about the Championship game against the Seahawks the year after they lost the Super Bowl. That game was a big deal because the 9ers had sucked for a decade before that season. They were finally back, and Kyle Williams literally gave a Super Bowl appearance away when all he had to do was fair catch a punt.

And popeye confirms it. You'll get very few 9er fans to admit it.

Just kidding. I disagree it was the 9ers worst loss. That Super bowl loss after the they were mysteriously gifted an extra hour long break because they couldn't find the light switch, that allowed the 9ers to clime back into that game but only to lose it by trying the same play 3 times in a row while ignoring Frank Gore was unstoppable towards the end of the game, has to be worse.

Like popeye said it was also thier first super bowl loss and only shot under the current regime. They weren't even able to go one and done before completely collapsing back into obscurity. Funny how many years now they have been predicting that exact thing would be happening to us.

I disagree that 49 was our worst also. No matter how you slice it that loss was due to our mistake and the Pats good play. XL had nothing to do with the teams on the field. It was like they just erased our entire year and gifted the trophy to the steelers. I felt like why did they even play the game if the outcome was already decided.

I will never get over XL for that reason. 49 I was over 5 minutes after. We already won one and look like we will possibly have many more chances as long as Pete and RW are here.