Von Miller's Contract and the Broncos...

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
And worth every penny sir. That guy is serious top tier talent that produces results. Happy that Denver is lowballing him......

Largent80

Reaction score
Easy to say worth every penny, however, these ridiculous contracts are making keeping our own players a non reality.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Where do the Broncos get the cap space? Feels like they always seem to sign top free agents without being strapped.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
FlyHawksFly":ryt4liox said:
Glasgow Seahawk":ryt4liox said:
Where do the Broncos get the cap space? Feels like they always seem to sign top free agents without being strapped.

Not paying for a QB helps.

They paid Manning a fortune and could still get guys like Ware, Talib etc

kearly

Reaction score
For some perspective, the Washington Nationals Bryce Harper is probably going to get paid at least $500 million on his next contract, and some rumors have it as high at 15 years, $750 million. All of it fully guaranteed.

NFL salaries are rising fast these days, but just imagine how high they'd be if the NFL didn't have the players union on a leash.

BirdsCommaAngry

Reaction score
The contracts always make me uncomfortable. I don't think people should generally make that much money and yet it's a relatively small amount of money compared to the revenue of the NFL as a whole. Players can make this much because our viewership, merchandise purchases, and otherwise obsession with football makes it possible. I want to follow football and I want our salaries and wages to more easily allow for less poverty. However, these desires are contradicting.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
This contract to be honest, is kind of a joke.

I am on Von's side here. Ignore the $114.5M number and look at the guaranteed money. I'm sure eventually he'll cave and they'll find a middle ground.. but kearly is dead on, the NFLPA did their players such a disservice on this last CBA. Every league but the NFL has guaranteed contracts. Just wait until you see the NBA contracts in the next couple of years.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Problem is, in the NFL you get players like Percy Harvin who get a huge guaranteed contract then don't pan out. And they hamstring the team that paid them all that money.

HawkGA

Reaction score
There's going to be a trade-off between guarantee and salary size. Sure other leagues have hunters contracts, but how many players in those other leagues actually have players careers ended by injuries? NFL teams have the biggest rosters and (I would assume) the greatest turnover.

peppersjap

Reaction score
After the contract that Vernon Olivier signed this year the sky is the limit for people like Von Miller. What is screwing up the NFL is not the best players, it is the ridiculous contracts that people are throwing at the 2nd tier players. Look at the money someone like Ryan Tannehill and Brock Osweiler are making or Kirk Cousins is making on his franchise tag. It is ridiculous.

OP
OP
JPatera76

JPatera76

Reaction score
http://www.businessinsider.com/von-miller-broncos-contract-impasse-nfl-2016-6

In the end the ball is in Miller's court, I'm curious to see what will happen.

if Miller is willing to sit out for the entire 2016 season, it would force the Broncos to give him a nonexclusive franchise tag. This would allow other teams to make an offer on Miller, which the Broncos would have to match if they wanted to keep their star defender. Presumably at least one team would shell out $60 million guaranteed for Miller (and/or to force the Broncos to write a bigger check).

mikeak

Reaction score
That is an interesting approach. If you believe you can make back a season's salary by sitting out then it is a good financial decision. You won't have the injury risk.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
The cap will be $200 million in the future. It's hilarious that owners lowballed the players yet they allow their teams to continue to create extreme market value that will only continue to rise each year.

It seems the Seahawks got lucky getting their core players signed long-term... I would not want to see what their market would be now.

Shoot, it might take $10 million apy just to sign Baldwin with what Hurns just got.

Baldwin is one of the most efficient WRs in the NFL but no one ever dared he would make ever make $10 mil per 2-3 years ago.

mikeak

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":1v2z3hym said:
The cap will be $200 million in the future. It's hilarious that owners lowballed the players yet they allow their teams to continue to create extreme market value that will only continue to rise each year.

Don't understand this from a few points

1) About a 50-50 split right? Not sure how that is low balling. Owners always makes more than workers. Lots of employees wish they were at 50%

2) Increase in market value is split. So every dollar the player makes is also one more dollar to the owners. Why would they not want to increase the value?

3) Hidden from the split is the increase in a teams worth. Gain from selling a team or portions of borrowing against it does not count as league profit. So increase market value is more worth to the owners. Increased salaries is irrelevant

4) The spending is capped and almost fixed. Doesn't matter if one guy gets it all or 53 guys splits it. They will spend the same. The rookie wage scale has led to more extreme salaries but at the end of the day the percentage spent in salaries is unchanged...

HawkGA

Reaction score
mikeak":3tl9wvfj said:
1) About a 50-50 split right? Not sure how that is low balling. Owners always makes more than workers. Lots of employees wish they were at 50%

Not just that but it's not like the owners don't have other expenses. Practice facilities, coaches, medical staff. It's not like the owners are keeping the 50%.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
BirdsCommaAngry":1w6j67vq said:
The contracts always make me uncomfortable. I don't think people should generally make that much money and yet it's a relatively small amount of money compared to the revenue of the NFL as a whole. Players can make this much because our viewership, merchandise purchases, and otherwise obsession with football makes it possible. I want to follow football and I want our salaries and wages to more easily allow for less poverty. However, these desires are contradicting.
What do you mean people shouldn't make that much money? Are you a communist or something? Somebody's making (a hell of a lot of) the money, it's just a question of whether it's the guy who's the trust-fund-baby owner or the guy who's actually responsible for winning the Super Bowl.