Joey Bosa Holding Out

HawkGA

Reaction score
Apparently the reasoning is similar to Mariota last year. Has to do with whether or not he should still get paid if he gets cut AND signs with another team. Gotta say, I side with the team on this one. Didn't really follow the Mariota thing to see how it played out.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/blogs/nfl- ... 25465.html

Maulbert

Reaction score
HawkGA":11wvocea said:
Apparently the reasoning is similar to Mariota last year. Has to do with whether or not he should still get paid if he gets cut AND signs with another team. Gotta say, I side with the team on this one. Didn't really follow the Mariota thing to see how it played out.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/blogs/nfl- ... 25465.html

He needs to be careful. Don't forget, his dad was a bust.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
A QB has a lot more leverage than a .. whatever position Bosa is going to play in SD. Doubt this holdout goes on very long.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
I side with Bosa.

With the new CBA rookies went from being very overpaid to wildly screwed over as they were the only party whose interests weren't represented at the table.

Because of the cap floors and first year deal guys getting so royally screwed over marginally talented vets like Olivier Vernon end up getting massively overpaid.

TBF Bosa's agent is taking advantage of an oversight in the last CBA negotiations, but that's on the people that did those negotiations, not Bosa's agent who is just doing his job by using every tool available to protect his client's interests in a system that was designed to screw him over.

Laloosh

Reaction score
I'm with Bosa as well. He's negotiating a deal with the Chargers. If they cut him, they should have to pay what they agree to pay.

ivotuk

Reaction score
The reason there's a rookie wave scale? Assholes like JaMarcus Russell they hamstring a team, screw all the veterans on the team that have been working their asses off, while they kick back and spend the money that ultimately came from the fans pockets.

So who gets screwed by the previous rookie deals? The fans.

IrishNW

Reaction score
Sign your multi million dollar contract, shut up and play. If he doesn't like it he can go work at McDonalds. No risk of concussions there, only suicidal thoughts after only making 30 grand a year.

kearly

Reaction score
It won't last long, unless he is a total moron.

Teams have such insane leverage these days that there's really no reason for them to cede to a single one of his demands.

keatonisballin

Reaction score
IrishNW":2tn0ety2 said:
Sign your multi million dollar contract, shut up and play. If he doesn't like it he can go work at McDonalds. No risk of concussions there, only suicidal thoughts after only making 30 grand a year.

Agreed. You havent proven squat yet kid. Get your ass on the practice field. This is not the best way to introduce yourself to your new teammates. Hi I'm Joey and I'm a spoiled brat who wants more money ALREADY.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
ivotuk":3hcelf1d said:
The reason there's a rookie wave scale? Assholes like JaMarcus Russell they hamstring a team, screw all the veterans on the team that have been working their asses off, while they kick back and spend the money that ultimately came from the fans pockets.

Aaron Curry says hello as well.

Basis4day

Reaction score
It's a business and this is a negotiation. Offset language is a huge issue with all contracts, not just rookies.

OP
OP
H

HawkGA

Reaction score
Just saw an article that he is still holding out. I would feel bad for the Chargers if I didn't lose respect for them in their efforts to move from San Diego.

Largent80

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":3kwuzsgb said:
ivotuk":3kwuzsgb said:

Aaron Curry says hello as well.

A he really turned out well huh?

hawksfan515

Reaction score
keatonisballin":2pk3yysu said:
IrishNW":2pk3yysu said:

Agreed. You havent proven squat yet kid. Get your ass on the practice field. This is not the best way to introduce yourself to your new teammates. Hi I'm Joey and I'm a spoiled brat who wants more money ALREADY.

While I don't necessarily agree with what Bosa is doing, it makes sense. Just because he's a top pick doesn't mean his career couldn't be over after 3 seasons. Get your money while you can.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
I don't get it is he expecting San Diego to be insanely stupid and give him his allotted money fully guaranteed? It's not like he can get more money.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Point A: Spanos is never going to give in. It's foolish to play chicken with the guy.

Point B: When Bosa does show, he won't be in football shape and it's highly likely that he gets a season ending injury. Happens all the time to players that hold out.

I'm beginning to wonder if Bosa really loves football they way Seahawks players do.

mrt144

Reaction score
ivotuk":1yk7m4u4 said:
Point A: Spanos is never going to give in. It's foolish to play chicken with the guy.

Point B: When Bosa does show, he won't be in football shape and it's highly likely that he gets a season ending injury. Happens all the time to players that hold out.

I'm beginning to wonder if Bosa really loves football they way Seahawks players do.

If I was drafted by SD, the last thing I'd want to do living down there is dedicate my life to that shitbag organization. Too many good eats and sunny days ;)