Will Goff Make Rams a Contender

HawkGA

Reaction score
This discussion among the ESPN blog writers is kind of funny, especially the Niners writer. It's almost the exact opposite the discussion about the Seahawks (Wilson specifically). Not in content (though a bit of that) but just in terms of tone and "who's the bitch in this relationship".

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/p ... -contender

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Gutierrez just says mealy-mouthed nonsense to avoid answering the question before closing on the point that it doesn't matter because the 9ers suck.

The 9ers DO suck, but to my eyes Gutierrez has the same message when talking about the 9ers in relation to the Hawks or the Rams: LOL the 9ers suck.

I think all of us probably got really spoiled back when Sando was covering the NFC West beat for ESPN, but in his time covering the 9ers Gutierrez has somehow never said a single insightful thing: never shared a stat I didn't already know; never sharedd any information that wasn't directly lifted from one of the beat writers from a few days earlier; and never really even had a good enough grasp on the team to understand where and why they suck.

There's like 10-12 different sportswriters who either excluisvely or regularly cover the 9ers (all of whom have skillsets I simply don't), and he's the only one that I think I could do an objectively better job than. I could do a better job than him without even quitting my day job. That's not even true for the hackiest 9ers reporters like Grant Cohn, who is a silly child-reporter whose job I still couldn't do well. Whereas Bill Williamson (ESPN's 9ers guy after Sando and before Gutierrez) was clearly old, bored, and disinterested, Gutierrez is the first 9ers beat guy I haven't even bothered to skim.

OP
OP
H

HawkGA

Reaction score
See, I took what he said a little differently (though from your write-up, sounds like he's your version of our Blount). To me it seemed like he was saying the 9ers may suck, but the Rams are even worse, both historically and because they have Fisher as a coach currently.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
^^^ Yeah, I took it more as "Instead of trying to answer the question, here's some widely known truisms about the Rams, but ultimately it won't matter for the 9ers if Goff is good or not, as they suck, and Goff playing well is the least of their worries."

TBF I don't think that's inaccurate, it's just mealy-mouthed an uninsightful.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
In a few years maybe, but not now. They still have way too many holes on the offensive side of the ball to be a legit contender.. especially in this division.

Goff/Gurley is a nice foundation though. Now they just need to revamp the OL and give him some guys to throw the ball to.

Laloosh

Reaction score
Popeyejones":3dt04e4a said:
I think all of us probably got really spoiled back when Sando was covering the NFC West beat for ESPN, but in his time covering the 9ers Gutierrez has somehow never said a single insightful thing: never shared a stat I didn't already know; never sharedd any information that wasn't directly lifted from one of the beat writers from a few days earlier; and never really even had a good enough grasp on the team to understand where and why they suck.

We've sort of lucked out in having Kapadia assigned to the Seahawks after Blount moved on. That guy was insufferable with how little effort he put into his writing.

Largent80

Reaction score
Time will tell, but I don't see them making the playoffs. Hell their playoffs seem to be the matches with us, then they forget about winning other games.

Pretty hard for a rookie to make a splash unless his name was Wilson.

kearly

Reaction score
Right now the Rams offense compares pretty well to UWs. Greenhorn QB, very good RB, good OL, and a no-name WR corps. It wouldn't surprise me if that offense looks pretty good this year, but knowing the Rams they will probably find a way to finish 8-8 despite this.

chris98251

Reaction score
Fisher doesn't like rookies as QB, took a while for McNair to break in, we know about Young. Bradford, well that was a great disaster.

Smellyman

Reaction score
It's hard for me to think of Goff as a 'put a team over the top' kind of QB. Seems there have been hundreds of 'Goffs' in the NFL, most with middling success.

Nothing screams 'WOW' with Goff.

Nick Foles with a little better arm and feet.

Does anybody think he is as good as Winston or Marriota?

NINEster

Reaction score
Largent80":3q4lg9xx said:
Time will tell, but I don't see them making the playoffs. Hell their playoffs seem to be the matches with us, then they forget about winning other games.

Pretty hard for a rookie to make a splash unless his name was Wilson.

How did they misspell the 2012 ROY winner as Robert Griffin?

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
pmedic920":8ktvqdgs said:
I don't think he'll start this year.
He may play a part in them being a contender but not this year.
IMO
He'll likely start but playoffs are probably 2-3 years off.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
NINEster":3tk5kkn5 said:
He didn't deserve it at the time, and with hindsight, everybody now KNOWS he didn't deserve it, either.

Not just Wilson bias speaking. The skill for what they had him doing on the field was just simply at a lower level than what Wilson was doing most of the time.

Alas, however, it takes time for people to get over college media hype for new NFL players...

Maulbert

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":2uf8uebf said:
NINEster":2uf8uebf said:
He didn't deserve it at the time, and with hindsight, everybody now KNOWS he didn't deserve it, either.

Not just Wilson bias speaking. The skill for what they had him doing on the field was just simply at a lower level than what Wilson was doing most of the time.

Alas, however, it takes time for people to get over college media hype for new NFL players...

Not to mention the fan vote got it right:

http://www.nfl.com/voting/rookies/2012/YEAR/0

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":7ly3jf80 said:
NINEster":7ly3jf80 said:

:lol: at using hindsight to look at a ROY award.

RG3 had a spectacular rookie season. Just because the Redskins ruined his career thereafter doesn't make him any less deserving of that award as a rookie. He took a bad Redskins team and made them a playoff team. The Seahawks were a decent QB away from being really good and that's what Wilson brought.

RG3 put up 4000 yards of total offense, 27 TD and only 5 INT - on a team that finished 5-11 the year before.

So yes, this post is absolutely just Wilson bias speaking. RG3 deserved ROY.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":1aqk15yt said:
RolandDeschain":1aqk15yt said:
NINEster":1aqk15yt said:

RG3 had a spectacular rookie season. Just because the Redskins ruined his career thereafter doesn't make him any less deserving of that award as a rookie. He took a bad Redskins team and made them a playoff team. The Seahawks were a decent QB away from being really good and that's what Wilson brought.

RG3 put up 4000 yards of total offense, 27 TD and only 5 INT - on a team that finished 5-11 the year before.

Jesus, I didn't realize you had succumbed to the RGKnee hype, too; I thought that was just Luck for you.

Look - the Redskins deserve some of that blame for sure. RGKnee deserves plenty himself for running so often and so dangerously all the damn time. It's a miracle he lasted as long as he did in his rookie season. It was never sustainable, and plenty of people pointed that out at the time. Look at how RW has always run compared to how RGKnee always has. The simplicity of most of a lot of what RGKnee was doing on offense wasn't stellar, it was the NFL working on getting adjusted to running QBs and a lot of read-option.

Keep on basing conclusions on glancing at stat lines, however. I wouldn't want to interrupt that.

hawk45

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":27fid9mg said:
Hasselbeck":27fid9mg said:
RolandDeschain":27fid9mg said:
NINEster":27fid9mg said:

Jesus, I didn't realize you had succumbed to the RGKnee hype, too; I thought that was just Luck for you.

Look - the Redskins deserve some of that blame for sure. RGKnee deserves plenty himself for running so often and so dangerously all the damn time. It's a miracle he lasted as long as he did in his rookie season. It was never sustainable, and plenty of people pointed that out at the time. Look at how RW has always run compared to how RGKnee always has. The simplicity of most of a lot of what RGKnee was doing on offense wasn't stellar, it was the NFL working on getting adjusted to running QBs and a lot of read-option.

Keep on basing conclusions on glancing at stat lines, however. I wouldn't want to interrupt that.

I agree RGIII ruined his own career because he didn't have the brains to get out of bounds or go down, and that RG3's success most definitely proved unsustainable, but that shouldn't relate to ROY should it? Both RGIII and Russell benefited from the bubble created when the read/zone QBs were ahead of defenses their first year. Russ showed flashes of clutch and was a superior skill passer from the start (IMO), but Russ was on a team that could afford to bring him along slowly, which is what they did. RGIII didn't have that advantage.

If we went back in time 100% of Skins fans would take Russell over RGIII in terms of who ended up being the better player, but in terms of that first year RGIII had to be a bigger part of the offense.