Johnny "Football" Manzel

hgwellz12

Reaction score
In a lofty place tanglin' with Satan over history.
Maulbert":2ilcn8b2 said:
pmedic920":2ilcn8b2 said:
Lawyer leaks info via mistake text.

His own dad calls him a "druggie"

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/16487 ... xt-message

Johnny Eightball.

If he doesn't get the 'wealthy asshole discount' from the Texas criminal justice system, it's soon to be "Johnny Foosball", Legend of the Day Room. But, he's just gonna get extorted like all hell if he ends up doing prison time. :34853_doh:

[Fifty] Daaaamn homie! In college you were the Maaaaaan, homie? TF happen to you?[/Cent]

Rambitious

Reaction score
It's just sad to see.
But, it was something that I think was fairly easy to see when he was coming out of College.
Before he was drafted, I predicted that he would be out of the NFL within 5 years of being drafted.
It's just happening sooner than I thought it would.

OP
OP
pmedic920

pmedic920

Reaction score
This was a train wreck that many people here in Texas saw coming before he ever went to college.

Sure, it could have been "fixed" but it wasn't.

Never ceases to amaze me, these kids that have the whole world by the balls, and throw it all away.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
pmedic920":31thn5zp said:
This was a train wreck that many people here in Texas saw coming before he ever went to college.

Never ceases to amaze me, these kids that have the whole world by the balls, and throw it all away.
It doesn't amaze me one bit. It all starts when they are kids; and I don't mean your definition of kids, I mean the actual definition. Children. Young. Even the 3rd-day draftees, most of them were the best athlete to ever step on every sports field throughout their childhood. They grew up getting extra perks all the time from friends, family, and coaches that their lesser-skilled peers did not get. They already become egotistical and accustomed to special privilege before they enter high school. Once they are in high school, they're getting groomed under the table by college suitors. If they don't live in the right physical area, they get help faking it to get into the school with the right football team.

It must be very, very, very difficult to raise a well-adjusted super-athlete, which basically all professional sports players are. Doubly so in regions of the country where the sport they go pro in is a religion, like football in the deep south and midwest.

Parents...If you ever gave extra privilege, no matter how small, to the star athlete (I'm not talking about an MVP award in a sport, or something like that...Read what I just typed, you know what I mean) or helped contribute to their egos like this, you've played a role in helping to ruin them as adults and made it far more difficult for them to succeed when they're instantly inundated with wealth and true fame after being drafted. It's very similar in nature to rich kid syndrome; a lot of kids that grow up in seriously wealthy families have issues dealing with privilege and superiority over others less fortunate. The fact that they find out money really does buy extra privilege in this world doesn't help, of course.

All these pro athletes that get drafted literally spent their entire lives until that point being told, and the actions of those around them confirming, that they are better than their peers, and I don't just mean better athletes.

@PMed: The fact that this amazes you surprises me.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":l3gry6h7 said:
pmedic920":l3gry6h7 said:

It doesn't amaze me one bit. It all starts when they are kids; and I don't mean your definition of kids, I mean the actual definition. Children. Young. Even the 3rd-day draftees, most of them were the best athlete to ever step on every sports field throughout their childhood. They grew up getting extra perks all the time from friends, family, and coaches that their lesser-skilled peers did not get. They already become egotistical and accustomed to special privilege before they enter high school. Once they are in high school, they're getting groomed under the table by college suitors. If they don't live in the right physical area, they get help faking it to get into the school with the right football team.

It must be very, very, very difficult to raise a well-adjusted super-athlete, which basically all professional sports players are. Doubly so in regions of the country where the sport they go pro in is a religion, like football in the deep south and midwest.

Parents...If you ever gave extra privilege, no matter how small, to the star athlete (I'm not talking about an MVP award in a sport, or something like that...Read what I just typed, you know what I mean) or helped contribute to their egos like this, you've played a role in helping to ruin them as adults and made it far more difficult for them to succeed when they're instantly inundated with wealth and true fame after being drafted. It's very similar in nature to rich kid syndrome; a lot of kids that grow up in seriously wealthy families have issues dealing with privilege and superiority over others less fortunate. The fact that they find out money really does buy extra privilege in this world doesn't help, of course.

All these pro athletes that get drafted literally spent their entire lives until that point being told, and the actions of those around them confirming, that they are better than their peers, and I don't just mean better athletes.

Roland I like that woman you've found. It seems she has taught you how it actually works in spades. Kudos.

OP
OP
pmedic920

pmedic920

Reaction score
@Ro

Really was more of a figure of speech, than actually being amazed.

And with "Jonny" , he got the double whammy.

His folks "got bank", the perfect storm if you will.

Seafan

Reaction score
Manziel's problems go far beyond athletic privilege. He was raised in a very wealthy Texas oil family. He was privileged since birth.

His athletic career is over and he likely doesn't care. He's lucky to have survived college at all. What's amazing is teams like Dallas and Cleveland don't have a clue about player's character or don't value it.

I watched his draft at a draft party. Being in Texas there were several Manziel fans there. I said he was a wasted pick. Many didn't agree of course.

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":22rsz5ko said:
pmedic920":22rsz5ko said:

QFT. Man, I saw this stuff growing up and not even in the elite-of-the-elite sports circles. I was a good, well-rounded athlete as a kid. In junior high I was "recruited" to play for a Catholic school's regional-traveling basketball team and had a lot of success (I am not Catholic, btw). I had opportunities to go the AAU route, but I wanted to keep playing baseball during the summers.

As some friends of mine went AAU, a lot of them changed. The attitudes got more entitled and superior. These were just regular dudes I knew, not super athletes. They were guys who ended up not even playing at any level after high school. But there was something in the culture that influenced those kids to the point they separated themselves from others, even former friends. It was weird to see at the time, but looking back as an adult, yeah I totally understand where the Johnny Footballs come from.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
Take away the domestic abuse and I'd feel sorry for this guy. He's on the road to hell. His existence is is likely to be short and humiliating and painful.

Maulbert

Reaction score
Largent80":c4es003z said:
Look what happened to Ryan Leaf, way worse than this by far.

Uhh, Leaf played worse, and lasted 4 seasons with 4 different teams. Leaf didn't have legal and drug problems until after football. Manziel is way more poisonous off-field than Leaf was during his career. Even the Hawks gambled on Leaf.

Maulbert

Reaction score
Largent80":1e4zj1sq said:
Regardless. Leaf burglaized houses to get drugs. That is ridiculous. Way worse than J.M.

My point is, you're comparing apples and oranges. Leaf's legal trouble started in 2010, 8 years after his career was over, which was ended by poor play. Johnny Douchebag had legal issues end his career. As an NFL player, Manziel has done way worse than Leaf ever did.

Laloosh

Reaction score
Friendly reminder: Keep the religious discussion in the proper forum (this is not it).

rideaducati

Reaction score
Largent80":iecm085q said:
Regardless. Leaf burglaized houses to get drugs. That is ridiculous. Way worse than J.M.

Give Johnny a few more years at the rate he is going and he'll be just as bad, if not worse.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
Jonny's way more of a drug addict. He's in much worse place. Lots of NFL players get addicted to various stuff while they're playing and recover--Brett Favre. Manziel's own father said he was a druggie. I don't think Leaf was ever a druggie, just a guy who got lost in the wilderness for a while.