Luck just signed through 2021, 6 years, $140 million

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Per NFL Live on ESPN from a tweet that owner Jim Irsay just put out. No numbers yet. Confirmed by the Colts and Schefter. Everyone expecting it to be the richest contract in NFL history.

Edited to add the numbers tom the title........

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Oh sweet, I'm sure some fun Andrew Luck posts will arise from this

OkieHawk

Reaction score
I'm curious as to how much it's worth. The really funny thing is that they already have no protection for him, and this contract will inhibit that even more.

2_0_6

Reaction score
OkieHawk":ammqdfm7 said:
I'm curious as to how much it's worth. The really funny thing is that they already have no protection for him, and this contract will inhibit that even more.

Laughable...

ZtrSJHw

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
OkieHawk":3nhr5yuq said:
Correct. He's not Wilson he needs a good OL.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
I'm happy we were able to get Wilson locked up before Luck signed this deal. That's all I'm going to say about it.

OkieHawk

Reaction score
Hawk_Nation":3q1gnri6 said:
OkieHawk":3q1gnri6 said:

Laughable...

ZtrSJHw

I forgot about that Flacco contract. I still want to know what they were smoking when they drew that one up.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
HawkFan72":2xnudids said:
I'm happy we were able to get Wilson locked up before Luck signed this deal. That's all I'm going to say about it.
Looking better and better isn't it. :lol:

sc85sis

Reaction score
The Colts had better hope last season was an anomaly or they're going to have a Charlie Weis situation on their hands.

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/nflnetwork/status/748239312072826880[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/748244709559123968[/tweet]

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Overpaid? Probably. But what is Indy going to do? Let him walk? Trade him for a boatload of picks?

Everyone snickering about this needs to realize this is the market for franchise QB's. And yes, Andrew Luck is a franchise QB.

A blessing to Wilson being picked in the 3rd round is we were able to get a year jump on his extension .. especially considering Luck was about to get paid.

OP
OP
H

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
HawkFan72":29yjkopt said:
I'm happy we were able to get Wilson locked up before Luck signed this deal.....
Likewise, and I'm going to add that while I'm very happy with the QB on our team and prefer him to any other young QB in the NFL, Luck is a fine player and seems a good person. He is capable of winning Owls with a better supporting cast.

Hasselbeck":29yjkopt said:
Overpaid? Probably. But what is Indy going to do? Let him walk? Trade him for a boatload of picks?

Everyone snickering about this needs to realize this is the market for franchise QB's. And yes, Andrew Luck is a franchise QB.

A blessing to Wilson being picked in the 3rd round is we were able to get a year jump on his extension .. especially considering Luck was about to get paid.
Well said man.

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
The key factors to assess will be the signing bonus, the full guarantee at signing, and the cash flow over the first three years.

For now, the total value has been announced, also by Irsay: Six years, $140 million. That’s an average in total value of $23.3 million and a “new money” average of $24.7 million.

Adam Schefter of ESPN reports that $87 million is guaranteed, but it’s highly, highly, highly (did I say highly?) unlikely that $87 million is fully guaranteed at signing. At best, Luck has $87 million guaranteed for injury.

The deal is solid, but hardly the “shocking” transaction Irsay once promised. The only real surprise is that Luck didn’t get to $25 million per year in total value, which given cap growth over the past few years is where the top value for quarterback deals should be.

Luck also wasn’t able to tie his salary in the out years to cap growth (it’s unclear if his agents even tried), meaning that at some point over the next six years, if the cap keeps spiking, the deal won’t look nearly as good as it does now.

Bottom line? Luck didn’t push for every penny he could have gotten, trading six years and $140 million for the $114 million or so he could have made by going year to year under the franchise tag through 2019.

For now, the biggest question is when, as a practical matter, he’ll be a year-to-year deal with the Colts — and how much he’ll pocket before he gets to that point.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... ootball%5D

Crizilla

Reaction score
I dont see longevity with Indy. I think Luck will end up with a ring, though. Just don't see how they can sign other big time players especially on defense. One of these years Indy might outscore everyone and win an Owl.....

RichNhansom

Reaction score
Ryan Grigson is now a shoe in for NFL exec of the year.

Pretty amazing isn't it? In 2012 John Schneider was edged out by both Ryan Grigson and John ELway. What did those guys do to warrant the Exec of the year award? Grigson signed Andrew Luck with the #1 overall pick in the draft and Elway convinced Peyton Manning to sign in Denver.

John on the other hand drafted in the same year, Bruce Irvin who led all rookies in sacks, Bobbie Wagner who was in the running for rookie of the year and Russell Wilson with a 3rd round pick in the draft. Apparently much easier to accomplish than taking the most coveted QB in the draft when nobody else has a chance before you or signing the big FA QB when every GM in the league (including John Schneider) wanted to sign him.

Sorry for the thread derail but it is amazing to me the hype surrounding some Luck and the QB position. Even falling into landing these guys is viewed as praise worthy. Especially considering the popular belief the Colts tanked a full season so they could draft Luck.

Now 4 years later you would think it would be obvious to anyone paying attention that Luck has not proven he is other worldly but instead the hype has garnered him the largest contract in NFL history and people are lining up to justify it.

I can tell you this, I am glad the Seahawks are not in this situation. After 4 years you should unquestionably know whether your QB is worthy of the highest pay or not and not have to resort to blame or excuses to justify it and with Luck the only thing he has going for him so far is blame and excuses. Sorry but no thanks.

Noteworthy John also signed Jay Howard, Jeremy Lane and JR Sweezy in that same draft class. Somehow that haul still wasn't good enough to edge out drafting Luck or signing Manning. Unbelievable.