San Francisco: Armstead
Arizona: Goldsen

2016:

San Francisco: Buckner
Arizona: Nkemdiche

2017:

San Francisco: ??
Arizona: ??

My guess is 3-4 OLBs in the first round, for both teams.

Free Agency:

Arizona:

Red Bryant
Chandler Jones

Bryant was picked up to stop Rawls (and prevent any delayed scrambling up the middle), Jones picked up to pressure Wilson.

San Francisco didn't pursue front 7 in free agency this year, but will most likely do it next year.

Both teams have enough secondary to control Wilson, but the pass rush and zone read have to be neutralized to conquer him. They're taking a page from the Rams who have invested the last few drafts to stop Wilson, and succeeded. That's why I didn't include them.....mission accomplished.

Curious how Pete & John will counter this strategy?

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
NINEster":35wpfqrb said:
2015:

2016:

2017:

Free Agency:

Arizona:

Red Bryant
Chandler Jones

Bryant was picked up to stop Rawls (and prevent any delayed scrambling up the middle), Jones picked up to pressure Wilson.

San Francisco didn't pursue front 7 in free agency this year, but will most likely do it next year.

Both teams have enough secondary to control Wilson, but the pass rush and zone read have to be neutralized to conquer him. They're taking a page from the Rams who have invested the last few drafts to stop Wilson, and succeeded. That's why I didn't include them.....mission accomplished.

See the 2016 draft. Quick passing and running backs that can catch the ball (Collins and Precise) just for a start . We got this. Try harder sir.

2_0_6

Reaction score
They are too busy worrying about Wilson, and letting other needs go unfilled.

49ers offense is abysmal..
Cards offense with good, but Palmer and Fitz aren't getting any younger.

The only way to beat Wilson is to keep him off the field.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
NINEster":2ztst48n said:
2015:

2016:

2017:

Free Agency:

Arizona:

Red Bryant
Chandler Jones

Good points and I have heard some rumblings of this.

As pointed out above, I think Pete is aware of what you are pointing out and like said above, I think the acquisitions of Guys like Prosice and Vannett are with this in mind, maybe even Joey Hunt.

I think the goal is to go back to what was working in 2013 when we had Unger at center, Zach Miller at TE (acting as another O-lineman) and Mike Rob at FB. Even though the line itself was sub par the supporting cast helped tremendously in keeping the offense flowing. Take that formula and add in a quick passing attack and with guys that can leak out of the backfield and you might be able to create situations where you catch your opponent out of position due to being to aggressive.

At least that is what I hope.

According to Elquapo though, this couldn't possibly be true because Wilson is just an average game manager and there is no need to account for him. Ok I keed, but it is hilarious to read his posts on the webzone. I actually do laugh out loud at some of his statements. The guy is a special kind of potato.

Sterling Archer

Reaction score
I would imagine the entire AFC East has been drafting for Brady for the last 15 years and where has that gotten them? I don't think that's a prudent strategy. You need to evaluate your own team and identify the weaknesses and areas of need and address those first before you start worrying about one individual player that you see twice a year. What about the other 14 games?

Uncle Si

Reaction score
NINEster":1svmsrh0 said:

Mission accomplished? The Rams haven't finished with a winning record in years.

If you are drafting to stop one QB over 2 games of a 16 game season, well, i'd suggest Pete and John would counter by saying.. "thanks!"

ctrcat

Reaction score
I do not think that Shaq Thompson or Vernon Butler were only for Wilson, but it's probably at the top of many reasons. Colin Jones was woefully exposed in the January 2015 playoff game at the "Buffalo Nickel" position where Shaq now plays. With Unger in and Lotulelei out to boot, Wilson had his finest career playoff game. Fresh, unrelenting pressure and depth up the middle are an asset in any game, but the Seahawks have practically become a division game so it was a factor to a degree.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
ctrcat":2bwyz7zi said:
I do not think that Shaq Thompson or Vernon Butler were only for Wilson, but it's probably at the top of many reasons. Colin Jones was woefully exposed in the January 2015 playoff game at the "Buffalo Nickel" position where Shaq now plays. With Unger in and Lotulelei out to boot, Wilson had his finest career playoff game. Fresh, unrelenting pressure and depth up the middle are an asset in any game, but the Seahawks have practically become a division game so it was a factor to a degree.

Would not argue that "to a degree"

I don't think teams are using 1st and 2nd round picks to counter one QB I guess was my point.

b8rtm8nn

Reaction score
I don't know who this Goldsen fella is from 2015 for the Cardinals, we took Humphries (OL) in the first last year. Our weak pass rush was apparent against Carolina, and Red Bryant was picked up to cover for injuries. I really feel that most of the Cards picks are to adjust to the weaknesses of the previous years - i.e. this year we picked up NK and Jones (trade) because we do not have anyone outstanding in the front seven outside of Campbell, we drafted and brought in tons of UDFAs in the secondary with speed since we were a little slow in the secondary outside of Peterson and Honey Badger, plus we need more speed on ST.

Last year, we brought on several OLBs, two in the draft, two UDFA and this year, Jones and a guy from Canada. But most of them outside of Golden have speed as their primary trait.

I don't think these moves were directly to counter Seattle, you just draft to fill your defensive philosophy, but that has to evolve to the strengths on your roster. I.e. if Seattle didn't have the trio of ET, Kam and Sherman; wouldn't they be drafting high for the secondary?

Ramfan128

Reaction score
Uncle Si":onlsxuq3 said:
NINEster":onlsxuq3 said:

Mission accomplished? The Rams haven't finished with a winning record in years.

If you are drafting to stop one QB over 2 games of a 16 game season, well, i'd suggest Pete and John would counter by saying.. "thanks!"

Because of QB play. And I disagree that the Rams have ever done anything specifically to stop Wilson - the only members of the front 7 that we drafted after Wilson arrived were Ogletree and Donald - Donald was BY FAR the best player available, and Ogletree filled a desperate need (although I admit Tree seemed to be drafted with Kap and Wilson in mind).

It's mission accomplished as far as Wilson goes:

Career regular season losses for the Seahawks under Wilson: 16

Career losses to the Rams under Wilson: 4

We've accounted for 25% of his losses. Rest of the division needs to catch up, which is what the OP was alluding to.

And that with 4 different QBs.....that's just astounding. Give us league average QB play and we have a winning record against the Seahawks instead of a 4-4 split since Wilson arrived, which is why we did what we did in the draft.

Rambitious

Reaction score
NINEster":x18ucz06 said:
2015:

2016:

2017:

Free Agency:

Arizona:

Red Bryant
Chandler Jones

How will Seattle counter? My initial guess is by just being a better team.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Ramfan128":3nqd1w6n said:
It's mission accomplished as far as Wilson goes:

Career regular season losses for the Seahawks under Wilson: 16

Career losses to the Rams under Wilson: 4

We've accounted for 25% of his losses. Rest of the division needs to catch up, which is what the OP was alluding to.

And that with 4 different QBs.....that's just astounding. Give us league average QB play and we have a winning record against the Seahawks instead of a 4-4 split since Wilson arrived, which is why we did what we did in the draft.

Not arguing they've played well against Wilson. My point (again) is that you don't draft in the first few rounds to stop a QB you only face 2x a year. Imagine if you had used those early draft picks on a QB to beat Seattle's D instead of their QB?

And if you do, well, you're probably going to find it difficult in those other 14 league games.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
NINEster":181uon1a said:
2015:

2016:

2017:

Free Agency:

Arizona:

Red Bryant
Chandler Jones

After reading the denial zone I don't buy this. Afterall RW is an overhyped "game manager" whom the posters over there a little over a year ago thought the Kraepper was better than.

Maulbert

Reaction score
ctrcat":uhwgag58 said:

Since when have the Panthers been in the same division as the Seahawks? Last I checked they left the NFC West the year the Seahawks joined it.

OP
OP
N

NINEster

Reaction score
Hawk_Nation":36c7964n said:
They are too busy worrying about Wilson, and letting other needs go unfilled.

49ers offense is abysmal..

This was the plan this year to address those points:

Offense: Kelly
Defense/Wilson: The Draft

Popeyejones

Reaction score
If the 49ers are drafting 3-4 DEs as a way to neutralize Wilson they're somehow in more trouble than anyone even thought.

That doesn't make a lick of sense.

Laloosh

Reaction score
Maulbert":208tpvj7 said:
ctrcat":208tpvj7 said:

Since when have the Panthers been in the same division as the Seahawks? Last I checked they left the NFC West the year the Seahawks joined it.
He said practically. We've played them a ton.

Laloosh

Reaction score
I can't help but laugh a little at the talk of drafting for Wilson.

4th ranked offense in the league without Marshawn. Defense took a step back. Holes have been filled, weapons are there on offense. Seattle will be fine. Wilson will be spectacular as usual.

Largent80

Reaction score
Here's the thing, the rams beat the Hawks twice last year, the 2nd time the playoff seedings were basically set, which made the 2nd game meaningless to everyone BUT the rams, who afterwards promptly sat their asses down in front of a tv to watch the Hawks in the playoffs yet AGAIN.