Drew Stanton thinks he has shot to start when Palmer retires

Maulbert

Reaction score
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...ll-have-chance-at-qb-gig-after-palmer-is-done

I don't buy it. If Palmer retires around 38, Stanton would be 34 before he gets a serious chance. I can't see the Cards treating him as more than a stop gap. I imagine the Cardinals have to be looking at grooming Palmer's replacement, especially considering how historically fragil he is. I think they're blowing smoke so they don't lose a decent backup, which all Stanton will ever be imo.

OP
OP
Maulbert

Maulbert

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":2lc23x9u said:
What would you expect him to say? "I suck?".

No, I just don't think the Cards are telling the truth. Besides, it's a month until football comes back even a little bit. Give me a break. There's no other news around.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Maulbert":fqaiac5w said:
MizzouHawkGal":fqaiac5w said:
What would you expect him to say? "I suck?".

No, I just don't think the Cards are telling the truth. Besides, it's a month until football comes back even a little bit. Give me a break. There's no other news around.
I think you're right but it's a good thing that Stanton has confidence that he can perform at that level. Because he's probably going to get that chance this year.

Throwdown

Reaction score
I personally hope they bring back Ryan Lindley, I lost playing against that guy.

HawkGA

Reaction score
Maulbert":2y49h77j said:
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...ll-have-chance-at-qb-gig-after-palmer-is-done

I don't buy it. If Palmer retires around 38, Stanton would be 34 before he gets a serious chance. I can't see the Cards treating him as more than a stop gap. I imagine the Cardinals have to be looking at grooming Palmer's replacement, especially considering how historically fragil he is. I think they're blowing smoke so they don't lose a decent backup, which all Stanton will ever be imo.

Well, that would still be starting, right?

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
....for the Browns...for the Dolphins....or any team?

b8rtm8nn

Reaction score
Well, Stanton may not even be on the roster when Palmer is done - both Palmer and Stanton are signed for the next two seasons. If Palmer suddenly retires, I am sure Stanton will be the defacto starter at the beginning of training camp...and that's about it. But I doubt Palmer is going to retire, best team he has ever played for and he has to show that he can not suck in the playoffs.

Isn't everyone on this board watching All or Nothing anyways this month? Who needs news when you can watch the Cardinals for 8 hours :)

OP
OP
Maulbert

Maulbert

Reaction score
b8rtm8nn":3v7gvvv5 said:
Well, Stanton may not even be on the roster when Palmer is done - both Palmer and Stanton are signed for the next two seasons. If Palmer suddenly retires, I am sure Stanton will be the defacto starter at the beginning of training camp...and that's about it. But I doubt Palmer is going to retire, best team he has ever played for and he has to show that he can not suck in the playoffs.

Isn't everyone on this board watching All or Nothing anyways this month? Who needs news when you can watch the Cardinals for 8 hours :)

I have nightmares more entertaining than that.

A

Anonymous

Has Stanton ever really had the entire playbook, a host of receivers AND protection enough to do anything but be a Dilfer 2.0?

b8rtm8nn

Reaction score
HoustonHawk82":2e5h78ie said:
Has Stanton ever really had the entire playbook, a host of receivers AND protection enough to do anything but be a Dilfer 2.0?

When he started while Palmer was out in 2014, he went 5-3, 55% completion rate, avg 190 yards/ game and a QBR of 78.7. He just isn't very good overall - throws a lot of good deep balls though, which is basically how we scored. He is a very good backup, not a very good starter; doubt he would win the job for very long (unless you have Logan Thomas and Ryan Lindley as competition - then he's golden).