When will players learn?

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Do me a favor...

Go into to Google and see if you can find the chart that shows how prescription painkillers (mainly opioids) were sought at a MUCH lower rate once medical mj was available.

Ask yourself why, though I think there is enough evidence out there about how applicable it is as a painkiller.

Now, go check with ANYone you know that plays college football or played it. Most of them had to deal with regular pain, playing in pain, and overcoming pain.

In fact, "Playing through pain" is often one of the attributes that people admire most in a player (remember Byron Leftwich playing with a broken leg and being carried by his linemen?)

We expect athletes to play through pain. But they have to live with that pain the rest of the days of the week. Some of those hits that we all love watching videos of (myself included in that group that loves watching them) end up affecting players for far longer than that one game.

So....

It shouldn't shock you AT ALL that players look for ways to deal with pain management, especially considering how addictive the other options are. Factor in potential brain damage from repeated concussions and you start making bad decisions anyway - since your reasoning is near the first thing affected.

Frankly, I am very confused by the league stance on a drug shown to treat pain effectively given the professional subjects its players to pain as a regular byproduct of play.

SmokinHawk

Reaction score
It should be legal, acceptable medicine. Did you know that a secondary cannabinoid known as cannabidiol, or CBD, has extremely powerful neuroprotective qualities? It can be given to children with otherwise untreatable seizure disorders, to slow or stop the frequent, life threatening seizuring.

It is also believed that it could be used to protect the brain from concussion, or be used to treat one after the fact. It's amazing stuff that is gaining research momentum.

Largent80

Reaction score
My mom is 89 and has tried everything Big Pharma has to offer and in a BAD way.

Just 3 weeks ago I finally convinced her to try Marijuana. She has a card (in Cali.) and it has helped her IMMENSELY.

She has macular degeneration and vericose veins. It has helped with both of those and even more, she is off of anti-depressants and is doing so much better.

Kinda ironic because I was growing weed in our back yard secretly until they found it back in the late 60's, and now my mom has a card and I live in Texas where they put you in jail for a roach..... :lol:

nategreat

Reaction score
I agree that marijuana is an amazing pain reliever, and I know a couple of people who use it for that as well, and swear by it when nothing else worked. And there are many research studies documenting its many benefits. But to say that the majority of NFL players use it for these purposes is laughable. They use it to get high, plain and simple. Still, it'll be legal in every state soon enough. The only obstacle will be Roger Goodell trying to lay his hammer down and uphold stupid rules that go against federal laws.