Broncos, Von Miller agree to 6-year, $114.5 million deal:

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/754021127983247360[/tweet]

Miller gets a $23 million signing bonus and $42 million guaranteed at signing, $61 million guaranteed after the second year and $70 million guaranteed after the third year of the deal, the sources said. Those totals pushed Miller past the guaranteed money Fletcher Cox received in his contract with the Philadelphia Eagles in recent weeks. Cox got more than $36 million at signing, $55 million in the first nine months and $63 million guaranteed by the deal's third year.

Miller's contract includes the largest total and the most in guaranteed money for a defensive player. It also pushed Miller into the neighborhood of quarterback contracts in terms of guaranteed money, putting him behind only Indianapolis Colts quarterback Andrew Luck.

Last week, Luck signed a $140 million deal that will pay him $87 million in guaranteed money.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/17084 ... llion-deal

Largent80

Reaction score
Damn, these contracts are killing pro sports. Why even have a salary cap?....Just let these rich owners buy what they can afford, I'm willing to bet that parity would still happen.

Maulbert

Reaction score
Largent80":1j78rzag said:
Damn, these contracts are killing pro sports. Why even have a salary cap?....Just let these rich owners buy what they can afford, I'm willing to bet that parity would still happen.

You say that, but there were 6 repeat champions before the institution of the salary cap, with only 2 since. Also, from 1986-93, the eight seasons leading up to the salary cap, only 7 teams appeared in the Super Bowl, and only 4 won it with every single winner in that span winning twice. It could be much worse.

HawkGA

Reaction score
Maulbert":1svtflsr said:
Largent80":1svtflsr said:

You say that, but there were 6 repeat champions before the institution of the salary cap, with only 2 since. Also, from 1986-93, the eight seasons leading up to the salary cap, only 7 teams appeared in the Super Bowl, and only 4 won it with every single winner in that span winning twice. It could be much worse.

Guessing that was more about free agency than the salary cap.

Maulbert

Reaction score
HawkGA":jtgfhvdn said:
Maulbert":jtgfhvdn said:
Largent80":jtgfhvdn said:

Was free agency mentioned? No. It's about the salary cap. Unrestricted free agency began in '92. The Salary Cap started in '94.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
now the question is does he become the next Haynesworth...I guess the next next since Suh took that road too after the big money!

HawkGA

Reaction score
Maulbert":2wb7hxom said:
HawkGA":2wb7hxom said:
Maulbert":2wb7hxom said:
Largent80":2wb7hxom said:

Was free agency mentioned? No. It's about the salary cap. Unrestricted free agency began in '92. The Salary Cap started in '94.

Right, the timing of both was pretty close. So I'm saying the lack of repeat champions has more to do with free agency than it does with the salary cap. The TV show Cheers ended in 1993, you could also say the decrease in repeat champions was because of that. You'd probably be wrong, but if your evidence is simply time frames, Cheers finale is just as good as the salary cap (technically better since it ended in 1993, which is the cutoff for your data).

HawkGA

Reaction score
Cyrus12":19v0u9mk said:
now the question is does he become the next Haynesworth...I guess the next next since Suh took that road too after the big money!

I could be wrong, but I suspect an important part of being Haynesworth or Suh is changing teams.

Largent80

Reaction score
Both free agency and the cap have caused all of this. Basically it all gets put on us with high ticket prices, $12 beers etc.

HawkGA

Reaction score
Largent80":377aivco said:
Both free agency and the cap have caused all of this. Basically it all gets put on us with high ticket prices, $12 beers etc.

Not if you watch from home!

Ramfan128

Reaction score
I laughed when I first saw this...never would have paid him this much...

Then I realized Aaron Donald's contract is coming up and he's better than Von Miller... :pukeface:

getnasty

Reaction score
Largent80":k0x8kdmo said:

High ticket prices and $12 beers happen because people pay it without batting an eye. Wouldn't matter if Von Miller got 114,000 dollars it's not like the owners or anyone else in the world is gonna charge $6 for a beer when they can get $12.

mrt144

Reaction score
getnasty":2rz8630n said:
Largent80":2rz8630n said:

High ticket prices and $12 beers happen because people pay it without batting an eye. Wouldn't matter if Von Miller got 114,000 dollars it's not like the owners or anyone else in the world is gonna charge $6 for a beer when they can get $12.

Market clearing prices are supremely affected by demand. If there was a concerted consumer action to refuse buying beer at specific price, a boycott in effect, prices would go down until enough people were willing to break the boycott and enjoy beer.

Blame all those jamokes that use football as an excuse to get drunk, not players enjoying a slice of revenue they are reasonably entitled to.