JR Sweezy on PUP list to start training camp

kearly

Reaction score
Might be non-news. Teams often store healthy players on the PUP in July for a week only to bring them back at the start of training camp. Seattle doesn't do it much but it's a fairly common practice elsewhere.

HawkGA

Reaction score
What's the reason for doing that? Freeing up a roster spot for a bit? Seems a strange strategy, for somebody new to a team.

drdiags

Reaction score
He may have tweaked his back doing off-season workouts and cannot pass the physical, so just put him on the PUP and bring him along diligently. May have tweaked it in OTAs as well. He surely passed their physical at the time of the Free-Agency signing, so it isn't like he was damaged goods when they signed him.

I've seen players put on the PUP and come off of it within a few days of training camp. I think he is fine.

Basis4day

Reaction score
HawkGA":3d3tos3u said:
What's the reason for doing that? Freeing up a roster spot for a bit? Seems a strange strategy, for somebody new to a team.

Players can't be put on regular season pup if they practice during training camp. If there is chance that an injury could be long enough to require freeing up a roster spot for at least the first 6 weeks of the regular season it's in the team's interest to hold them out of practice and keep them regular season pup eligible.

HawkGA

Reaction score
Basis4day":lufvjkue said:
HawkGA":lufvjkue said:

Players can't be put on regular season pup if they practice during training camp. If there is chance that an injury could be long enough to require freeing up a roster spot for at least the first 6 weeks of the regular season it's in the team's interest to hold them out of practice and keep them regular season pup eligible.

Sorry, I was referring specifically to the strategy Kearly mentioned (I didn't quote him since I didn't want to offend whoever it was who didn't like too much quoting!!!) that teams stash healthy players on the PUP.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
HawkGA":3qek767w said:
Basis4day":3qek767w said:
HawkGA":3qek767w said:

Sorry, I was referring specifically to the strategy Kearly mentioned (I didn't quote him since I didn't want to offend whoever it was who didn't like too much quoting!!!) that teams stash healthy players on the PUP.

If a player has a lingering issue that would otherwise force him to sit on the sidelines -- there's no reason to not PUP him.

Teams are evaluating a lot of players. You need bodies to practice. You can't have those active bodies if the roster spot is eaten by guys sitting on the sidelines.

The PUP rules are pretty stupid really. Any player that gets hurt during TC should be eligible for the regular season PUP. Until it is though, most teams will simply make use of the preseason PUP for as long as necessary.

Remember too, a lot of vets end up getting minor procedures done in the offseason. Training is often interrupted/constipated during this time and players can still not be 100% If they start on the PUP and suffer a minor aggravation or a soft tissue injury of a compensation nature during TC while trying to get to full health -- the team is protected and can still get roster relief when that new injuries' rehab extends into the regular season.

The strategy is simply to guard against possible injury flare up early in the season. But it has the side benefit of keeping the roster full -- and also give teams extended looks and reps to street FAs that could be called on late in the season. Seattle frequently adds camp guys off the street late in the regular season when injuries pile up.