The new Colin Kaepernick

kobebryant

Reaction score
He was a pretty likeable guy at Nevada, but his personality got Harbaughed in the NFL.

I like Harbaugh, but some great coaches like to remove any individual personality from their players/qbs. Though I don't know if Chip is any better in that regard.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
Wow pretty impressive considering everything. Makes ya kind of want to root for him. Hopefully he has learned something from his past and handles himself better going forward. The kid has some serious talent if he can get out of his own way.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
hawknation2016":1blw8ebi said:
Answering questions in a positive manner and smiling . . . it looms like Kaepernick has been taking classes at the Russell Wilson School of Not Being a Prick.

He was doing this last year too, which a lot of 9ers fans commented on at the time.

His unwillingness to engage with media, crack a smile, etc. seemed to be the coaching or influence of Harbaugh, TBH. Whatever it was, he either stopped doing it after Harbaugh left, or somebody talked to him after Harbaugh left.

OP
OP
H

hawknation2016

Reaction score
Popeyejones":1tsobgbs said:
hawknation2016":1tsobgbs said:
Answering questions in a positive manner and smiling . . . it looms like Kaepernick has been taking classes at the Russell Wilson School of Not Being a Prick.

He was doing this last year too, which a lot of 9ers fans commented on at the time.

His unwillingness to engage with media, crack a smile, etc. seemed to be the coaching or influence of Harbaugh, TBH. Whatever it was, he either stopped doing it after Harbaugh left, or somebody talked to him after Harbaugh left.

Huh? I think I watched most (if not all) of Kaepernick's press conferences last season before his injury, and he was definitely not smiling and talking positively.

Marvin49

Reaction score
I don't know if he will ever rebound to be a good QB in the NFL, but I think the combination of Harbaugh being fired, struggling BADLY last year, getting hurt, requesting a trade only to find out NOBODY but the 49ers would pay him his money probably humbled him quite a bit.

I was stunned when in minicamp 49ers PR shut down the interview and he said no. He wanted to get the questions out of the way so kept talking till reporters had no remaining questions.

If he does in fact come back and becomes a decent NFL QB, all that has happened recently might in the long run turn out to be the best thing that could have happened to him.

First though, he needs to win the job and play well. Right now, no guarantees either of those things happen.

kearly

Reaction score
Kaepernick is maybe the best mechanical QB of all time. Structure an offense around his limitations, and he can do amazing things. The mistake was ever believing that he could be more than a mechanical QB.

Chip Kelly's history at QB is mostly made up with QBs who are natural to the position. His only true mechanical QB was Jeremiah Masoli during Kelly's first HC season at Oregon, a player who started essentially because he was the lesser of two evils between he and Nate Costa. Kelly moved on from Masoli after just one season and then went to Darron Thomas (a mechanical / natural hybrid in the mold of Tyrod Taylor), then to Mariota, then to Foles / Sanchez, then to Bradford.

Based on that history, I get the sense that Chip Kelly strongly prefers prototypical QBs. Blaine Gabbert was a high draft pick precisely because he checked all the prototypical QB boxes on the scouting checklist. Gabbert also showed massive improvement last season. And heck, Gabbert can even run pretty well.

I've been saying since the day that Kelly got hired that Gabbert is the guy for Chip. I think the only way Kelly goes for Kaep is if Gabbert completely falls flat on his face.

OP
OP
H

hawknation2016

Reaction score
I would not be surprised at all if Kaepernick rebounded this year under Kelly. It's just unfortunate that the incompetent scumsuckers, Jed and Baalke, will be the ones who benefit from it.

Marvin49

Reaction score
kearly":g540xv9v said:
Kaepernick is maybe the best mechanical QB of all time. Structure an offense around his limitations, and he can do amazing things. The mistake was ever believing that he could be more than a mechanical QB.

Chip Kelly's history at QB is mostly made up with QBs who are natural to the position. His only true mechanical QB was Jeremiah Masoli during Kelly's first HC season at Oregon, a player who started essentially because he was the lesser of two evils between he and Nate Costa. Kelly moved on from Masoli after just one season and then went to Darron Thomas (a mechanical / natural hybrid in the mold of Tyrod Taylor), then to Mariota, then to Foles / Sanchez, then to Bradford.

Based on that history, I get the sense that Chip Kelly strongly prefers prototypical QBs. Blaine Gabbert was a high draft pick precisely because he checked all the prototypical QB boxes on the scouting checklist. Gabbert also showed massive improvement last season. And heck, Gabbert can even run pretty well.

I've been saying since the day that Kelly got hired that Gabbert is the guy for Chip. I think the only way Kelly goes for Kaep is if Gabbert completely falls flat on his face.

Probably fair.

I dunno if Kap has ever been as motivated as he is right now. Should be fun to watch. Hopefully one of those guys really steps up OR they BOTH fall completely flat so that the Niners will know unequivocally that they need to address the position. My fear is one of them will be just good enough to knock them out of the running for a high draft pick.

OP
OP
H

hawknation2016

Reaction score
Marvin49":1vcwe8k0 said:
Probably fair.

I dunno if Kap has ever been as motivated as he is right now. Should be fun to watch. Hopefully one of those guys really steps up OR they BOTH fall completely flat so that the Niners will know unequivocally that they need to address the position. My fear is one of them will be just good enough to knock them out of the running for a high draft pick.

That's the worst way you could look at rebuilding your team, but I guarantee Baalke shares your fear.

Seahawks were not very good in Pete's first two years - and not bad enough to score high draft picks - because he was slowly building something incredible. Even the faint whiff of wanting to suck for higher draft picks will drain all the energy out of the building and lead to sucking for another decade or more.

This is why "bad" teams continue to be bad for years, despite high draft picks.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Marvin49":1qaukai6 said:
kearly":1qaukai6 said:

Probably fair.

With what is going on with the 49ers right now I just don't see them winning more then 4-5 games. They'll still get a decently high draft pick regardless of what Gabbert or Keapernick do.

Marvin49

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":3mfjxrk5 said:
Marvin49":3mfjxrk5 said:
kearly":3mfjxrk5 said:

Probably fair.

With what is going on with the 49ers right now I just don't see them winning more then 4-5 games. They'll still get a decently high draft pick regardless of what Gabbert or Keapernick do.

I disagree (shocker).

LOT of what happens this year depends on what happens at QB.

I keep reading how the team has no talent and that Heath Evans on NFL Network predicted 1-15. Yeah. OK.

If they get good play from the QB, I think they could surprise some people. Before you get all up in arms about me being delusional, I actually present that as a WORST case situation. I don't want that. I don't want them to be just good enough to make it hard to improve via prime draft pick.

Mediocre is worse that bad. Mediocrity usually ensures more mediocrity.

Laloosh

Reaction score
^^ Marv, mind sharing a synopsis of what's changed w/ your team this off-season, what you're looking forward to seeing unfold and what the fans are saying on your end?

I haven't talked to my sources with 49er roots lately and I don't know much about what's happening w/ the team. Feel free to post or PM if you have time to do it. I've been slacking on my reading as of late and I'd love to get your take.

Marvin49

Reaction score
hawknation2016":u4t384pg said:
Marvin49":u4t384pg said:
Probably fair.

That's the worst way you could look at rebuilding your team, but I guarantee Baalke shares your fear.

Seahawks were not very good in Pete's first two years - and not bad enough to score high draft picks - because he was slowly building something incredible. Even the faint whiff of wanting to suck for higher draft picks will drain all the energy out of the building and lead to sucking for another decade or more.

This is why "bad" teams continue to be bad for years, despite high draft picks.

M'Kay.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Laloosh":sr1jv3gf said:
^^ Marv, mind sharing a synopsis of what's changed w/ your team this off-season, what you're looking forward to seeing unfold and what the fans are saying on your end?

I haven't talked to my sources with 49er roots lately and I don't know much about what's happening w/ the team. Feel free to post or PM if you have time to do it. I've been slacking on my reading as of late and I'd love to get your take.

Honestly I haven't talked to a number of Niner fans this offseason. Kinda took it off and had fun watching the Warriors play.

What do I think about the teams fortunes? I think they'll be better than last year. How much better I have no idea.

The O-Line has a chance to be improved significantly. That doesn't mean it;ll be great, but last year the right side of the line was possibly the worst in the league. Their first round pick and POSSIBLY an in-shape Anthony Davis (reported down to 330LBs from the 370 he last played at) is an ENORMOUS improvement from last year.

Scheme should help there too as the ball should come out fairly quick and the pace of play should slow down the rush.

Hyde if he can stay Healthy (big if) might have a big year. This offense really suits him.

WR is a HUGE question mark. Lots of young guys, but outside of Torrey Smith nobody is proven (and I'm not even sure you can put HIM in that category either).

Defense? I really like the young guys on the line. Bowman is back and in much better physical condition than the beginning of last year. Lynch will miss four games, but I really wanna see Eli Harold who gained 20+ lbs in the offseason and is up to 270lbs.

Safety should be a strong spot with Reid, Tartt and Bethea. CB is a question, but I like that they've moved Jimmie Ward from safety to CB. We'll see how that plays out.

To be clear, I'm not exactly saying all this adds up to playoff team...or even a .500 team. They are going with ALOT of youth so we'll see what happens. Very few known quantities. Should be fun at least. :D

Laloosh

Reaction score
Thanks Marv. Now I know what to look for in the preseason games. Hope you've enjoyed your summer.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Laloosh":2vehmyc9 said:
Thanks Marv. Now I know what to look for in the preseason games. Hope you've enjoyed your summer.

I did till game 7. :D

There are number of players I really want to see.

The obvious of course...DeForest Buckner, Joshua Garnett..essentially the entire rookie class...

...but in particular among returning younger guys: WR DeAndre Smelter (drafted with torn ACL), WR Eric Rogers (CFL), OLB Eli Harold, DE Arik Armstead, CB Jimmie Ward...and several more.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
Marvin49":24xcwvfx said:
Laloosh":24xcwvfx said:

Honestly I haven't talked to a number of Niner fans this offseason. Kinda took it off and had fun watching the Warriors play.

What do I think about the teams fortunes? I think they'll be better than last year. How much better I have no idea.

The O-Line has a chance to be improved significantly. That doesn't mean it;ll be great, but last year the right side of the line was possibly the worst in the league. Their first round pick and POSSIBLY an in-shape Anthony Davis (reported down to 330LBs from the 370 he last played at) is an ENORMOUS improvement from last year.

Scheme should help there too as the ball should come out fairly quick and the pace of play should slow down the rush.

Hyde if he can stay Healthy (big if) might have a big year. This offense really suits him.

WR is a HUGE question mark. Lots of young guys, but outside of Torrey Smith nobody is proven (and I'm not even sure you can put HIM in that category either).

Defense? I really like the young guys on the line. Bowman is back and in much better physical condition than the beginning of last year. Lynch will miss four games, but I really wanna see Eli Harold who gained 20+ lbs in the offseason and is up to 270lbs.

Safety should be a strong spot with Reid, Tartt and Bethea. CB is a question, but I like that they've moved Jimmie Ward from safety to CB. We'll see how that plays out.

To be clear, I'm not exactly saying all this adds up to playoff team...or even a .500 team. They are going with ALOT of youth so we'll see what happens. Very few known quantities. Should be fun at least. :D

Good outlook Marv but how about giving us a devils advocate if you will. What are your concerns this season and what will you be hoping for most of all improvement wise?

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Reasonably they should have been around 3-13 last year, so a deserved 5-11 or 6-10 would be a big improvement for them.