Honey. Badger. Got. PAID:

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/nflnetwork/status/760551917785231360[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/760552427741470720[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/JasonLaCanfora/status/760552982194913281[/tweet]

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Well deserved, and I really hope he makes it all the way back from that injury.

The guy is just a ton of fun to watch play.

I could not have been more wrong about him coming out.

Part of me kinda thinks his success contributed in a non trivial way to the Cardinals stopping Nkemdiche's fall.

2_0_6

Reaction score
Top corner money as a safety? Good lord.

They should save some money for a QB :irishdrinkers:

IndyHawk

Reaction score
He's had both R/L ACL tears.I just don't see him finishing that deal.I'm sure all the teams love Arizona for setting the market on a roving CB who I don't know if he's ever finished the season.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
IndyHawk":gvg8a8er said:
He's had both R/L ACL tears.I just don't see him finishing that deal.I'm sure all the teams love Arizona for setting the market on a roving CB who I don't know if he's ever finished the season.
I agree that contract is just stupid. Not only does he have serious injury history he's just flat out too small for the style of play he does to be expected to have a long career.

kearly

Reaction score
His guaranteed money divided by the length of his contract works out to be about ~5% of his team's cap commitment. So even if he never played another down in the NFL and the Cardinals totally ate it on that deal, they'd still have 95% of their usual cap space to work with for the next five years. It's a risk but not as big a risk as people think.

It would be crazy for them not to extend him given how their defense relies on him as a deodorant for so many things defensively. If the Cardinals had chosen to let him walk in FA I would be dancing in the street.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Hawk_Nation":1ulc8phs said:

He plays much more corner than safety though.

It makes him the highest paid safety and 9th highest paid corner.

It's an emerging hybrid role and he's far and away the most talented player in it. TBH I thought he might get more.

2_0_6

Reaction score
Popeyejones":26pt5o43 said:
Hawk_Nation":26pt5o43 said:

It's an emerging hybrid role and he's far and away the most talented player in it. TBH I thought he might get more.

IF he stays healthy, the Cards will get top return on their value. The injury risk with him is large, especially with the way he plays the game.

b8rtm8nn

Reaction score
Good deal for both sides. Interesting pay-outs:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... ique-deal/

1. $15.5 million signing bonus, which is not tied to Mathieu passing a physical. (He’s still on the Physically Unable to Perform list after tearing an ACL last December.) That’s more than the full guarantees Vikings safety Harrison Smith and Seahawks safety Earl Thomas received at signing.

2. $1 million base salary for 2016, fully guaranteed at signing.

3. $4.75 million base salary for 2017, fully guaranteed at signing.

4. Salary of $5.75 million in 2018, not guaranteed at signing for injury or otherwise. On the first day of the 2018 league year, it becomes fully guaranteed.

5. Roster bonus of $5 million due on the third day of the 2018 league year.

6. Salary of $10.75 million in 2019, $8 million of which becomes fully guaranteed on the first day of the 2018 league year.

7. $10.75 million salary for 2020, not guaranteed.

8. $9.25 million salary for 2021, not guaranteed.

9. $250,000 in annual workout bonuses for 2017 through 2021.

10. $250,000 incentive if named defensive player of the year in 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, and 2021.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Hawk_Nation":2vs1jwdq said:
Popeyejones":2vs1jwdq said:
Hawk_Nation":2vs1jwdq said:

IF he stays healthy, the Cards will get top return on their value. The injury risk with him is large, especially with the way he plays the game.
Exactly. He's not going to remain healthy book it. He's Troy Polumanu without the body capable of paying the price. And he never plays cornerback at best he plays Roverback and freelances like Palumbo did. It's a valid style of play for an athletic freak with intelligence but Money Badger only has the latter and bad knees.

Overseasfan

Reaction score
As long as he stays healthy he's easily worth the money. One of the best defensive players in the league right now.

Ramfan128

Reaction score
I would have been nervous to hand out that deal if I were the Cardinals with his injury history, but his impact is undeniable IMO.

mikeak

Reaction score
b8rtm8nn":bq4zipza said:

1. $15.5 million signing bonus, which is not tied to Mathieu passing a physical. (He’s still on the Physically Unable to Perform list after tearing an ACL last December.) That’s more than the full guarantees Vikings safety Harrison Smith and Seahawks safety Earl Thomas received at signing.

So $20 million guaranteed for 2 seasons

Considering that I believe he was paid some for what he has done the last couple of years I think this is a good deal for the Cardinals.

1) He is vital to the team
2) $20million is risked - not debilitating money and I am sure they are confident in his status to return if they signed now

rjdriver

Reaction score
Definitely a feel good story. I really enjoy listening to him and seeing how much he has matured.

I love his intensity, but I would worry about his durability. I'll never forget in the combine watching him bench press. IIRC he got maybe one or two reps. He's just not strong, so I think he takes more of a pounding than most. If this guy wasn't in our conference/division, I would absolutely love him.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
b8rtm8nn":121tv16d said:

4. Salary of $5.75 million in 2018, not guaranteed at signing for injury or otherwise. On the first day of the 2018 league year, it becomes fully guaranteed.

5. Roster bonus of $5 million due on the third day of the 2018 league year.

6. Salary of $10.75 million in 2019, $8 million of which becomes fully guaranteed on the first day of the 2018 league year.

7. $10.75 million salary for 2020, not guaranteed.

8. $9.25 million salary for 2021, not guaranteed.

9. $250,000 in annual workout bonuses for 2017 through 2021.

10. $250,000 incentive if named defensive player of the year in 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, and 2021.

I agree, that is a great contract for both sides. It is gonna take a long time to find someone of his caliber in the near future.