Trade Jimmy Graham and 1st for J. Bosa

Thunderhawk

Reaction score
I generally hate these 'trade idea' threads - but this seems plausible to me.

San Diego:

1) Needs tight end help as Gates is old and they lost Ladarius Green.
2) Are at an impasse with Bosa.
3) Even if Bosa signs it's hard to think he'll be a positive presence in the locker room considering how he's been treated.

Seattle:

1) Is deep at tight end with the addition of Vannett and Brandon Williams.
2) Has proven the offense can excel even without Graham.
3) Bosa can add to our Nascar package and might be a better option at SAM than Morgan, Marsh, or Pinkins.

Obviously this deal assumes:

1) Jimmy passes medical.
2) Is salary cap compliant. We would have an accelerated signing bonus for Graham, but the average salary would be lower per year for Bosa so it might be a wash.

Anyway, would you make this deal? Is the compensation off?

JustTheTip

Reaction score
Saints already took the hit on dead money as part of the trade. Pretty sure the Seahawks can do what ever they want at this point with no dead money. I don't think he has qualified for any of his bonuses yet this year.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Bitter":2vpcsnuu said:
Saints already took the hit on dead money as part of the trade. Pretty sure the Seahawks can do what ever they want at this point with no dead money. I don't think he has qualified for any of his bonuses yet this year.

Graham had a workout bonus clause in his contract of $100k. I assume he got this already, so we'd be out that amount, but it is insignificant considering the cap value as it is currently.

I still wouldn't make the deal, but not for cap reasons

Lithium

Reaction score
He cant be traded until 2017 at the earliest

JustTheTip

Reaction score
kidhawk":1h4wiscw said:
Bitter":1h4wiscw said:

Graham had a workout bonus clause in his contract of $100k. I assume he got this already, so we'd be out that amount, but it is insignificant considering the cap value as it is currently.

I still wouldn't make the deal, but not for cap reasons

I would agree, just pointing out there are no cap concerns for the Seahawks doing what ever they want with Graham.

kobebryant

Reaction score
Thunderhawk":1vssu3ka said:
I generally hate these 'trade idea' threads - but this seems plausible to me.

San Diego:

1) Needs tight end help as Gates is old and they lost Ladarius Green.
2) Are at an impasse with Bosa.
3) Even if Bosa signs it's hard to think he'll be a positive presence in the locker room considering how he's been treated.

Seattle:

1) Is deep at tight end with the addition of Vannett and Brandon Williams.
2) Has proven the offense can excel even without Graham.
3) Bosa can add to our Nascar package and might be a better option at SAM than Morgan, Marsh, or Pinkins.

Obviously this deal assumes:

1) Jimmy passes medical.
2) Is salary cap compliant. We would have an accelerated signing bonus for Graham, but the average salary would be lower per year for Bosa so it might be a wash.

Anyway, would you make this deal? Is the compensation off?

Bosa can't be traded though. So you'd have to be looking at guys like Liuget, Ingram, Varrett if you wanted decent compensation from the Chargers in a trade.

kearly

Reaction score
Is Bosa even all that good? His draft breakdown footage just seemed okay to me, I never really understood the top pick hype (2016 was a very weak draft for pass rush in general). Maybe there's something I didn't see, but I kinda doubt it. He also seems more like a 3-4 OLB type of player to me.

With Graham, his stock may never be lower than it is right now. He's making a good chunk of money on his remaining deal and has an injury that very few players recover from fully. They'd probably get as much value trading Graham as they did trading Max Unger a year ago.

That, plus it's too late to trade for Bosa this year. The rookie trade deadline was August 9th, IIRC.

Tical21

Reaction score
If the trade were even possible, I'm not trading Jimmy Graham for my #4 DE, and if I'm the Chargers, I'm not trading the #3 pick for an expensive, aging one-dimensional TE recovering from the worst injury you can have.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
kearly":2khbw72m said:
Is Bosa even all that good? His draft breakdown footage just seemed okay to me, I never really understood the top pick hype (2016 was a very weak draft for pass rush in general). Maybe there's something I didn't see, but I kinda doubt it. He also seems more like a 3-4 OLB type of player to me.

With Graham, his stock may never be lower than it is right now. He's making a good chunk of money on his remaining deal and has an injury that very few players recover from fully. They'd probably get as much value trading Graham as they did trading Max Unger a year ago.

That, plus it's too late to trade for Bosa this year. The rookie trade deadline was August 9th, IIRC.
Yep, Bosa from my eyes seems like one of those over hyped guys. Time will tell though.

Largent80

Reaction score
No, OP.

Dude , you hated the new Star Trek and this idea is a dumb as your review of that movie.

irocdave

Reaction score
If we're talking trading Jimmy, it would be for young stud guards or tackles...

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Jimmy is the highest paid TE in the NFL over the rest of his deal and is coming back from a very, very serious injury.

He's fun to watch and I hope he makes it all the way back, but he's just not worth very much at all in trade right now.

irocdave

Reaction score
Popeyejones":3lmiepw1 said:
Jimmy is the highest paid TE in the NFL over the rest of his deal and is coming back from a very, very serious injury.

He's fun to watch and I hope he makes it all the way back, but he's just not worth very much at all in trade right now.

Truth. He is damaged goods until proven otherwise. Unless the Raiders are interested.

OP
OP
Thunderhawk

Thunderhawk

Reaction score
Largent80":d6lfmtbo said:
No, OP.

Dude , you hated the new Star Trek and this idea is a dumb as your review of that movie.
I've given this a bit of thought and concluded that I really, really don't like you.

BirdsCommaAngry

Reaction score
Largent80":3t2rj3bg said:
No, OP.

Hasselbeck":3t2rj3bg said:
This is one of the worst trade ideas I've ever seen.

Thunderhawk presented an idea supported with reasons. This idea lead to posters contributing more ideas, such as by bringing up concerns about Bosa's value. To some of us these ideas are interesting, thought-provoking, and entertaining. Whether you guys know it or not, you're discouraging these kinds of posts and that detracts more than it adds to the forum.

getnasty

Reaction score
Largent80":27drw17n said:
No, OP.

Classy post