Josh Brown, wife abuser

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/1734 ... olent-20-s

Brown was accused by his ex-wife of pushing her into a large mirror in their bedroom, throwing her on the floor, jumping on top of her and pinning her face to the carpet with his forearm on the back on her neck. In a separate incident, he allegedly kicked a door off the hinges and into the arm of her son, kicked a chair into his wife and pushed her over a paper shredder.

Wow. More than 20 incidents, plus verbal threats and abuse "consistently over the years." And he gets a one-game suspension and a little story waaaay down the ESPN page.

He was arrested in May 2015. I totally missed that. Was it a big story? Why are details coming out more than a year later?

Editorial: Josh Brown is a piece of crap.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Pretty surprising stuff. I hate to say it but I don't think this story will get a ton of attention because he is white and he is a kicker.

ctrcat

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":54fmx3va said:
Pretty surprising stuff. I hate to say it but I don't think this story will get a ton of attention because he is white and he is a kicker.

In NYC as well. Yep, Hardy still can't get a job after serving 21 games, the longest non-life de facto suspension in league history, for a dropped misdemeanor charge after calling 911 with the girl he's no longer with on coke and out of control, after being allowed to play in week 1.

CalgaryHawk

Reaction score
Josh brown is a slave to the policeman.

One of my least favourite past Seahawks players

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
ctrcat":35kzl6pp said:
Hawk-Lock":35kzl6pp said:

In NYC as well. Yep, Hardy still can't get a job after serving 21 games, the longest non-life de facto suspension in league history, for a dropped misdemeanor charge after calling 911 with the girl he's no longer with on coke and out of control, after being allowed to play in week 1.
I don't like Hardy, but this is a very good point. Brown is a far worse human being.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":2ilsrv50 said:
ctrcat":2ilsrv50 said:
Hawk-Lock":2ilsrv50 said:

I don't like Hardy, but this is a very good point. Brown is a far worse human being.
Naw, they are the same type of scumbag. Hardy has shown zero remorse and isn't a victim other than a victim of his own anger issues and bad decesions. He paid off the woman to not show up or he would have spent time in prison. If Josh Brown did this he needs to be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

rjdriver

Reaction score
CalgaryHawk":utn4o2zy said:
Josh brown is a slave to the policeman.

One of my least favourite past Seahawks players

They won't let him wear his battery operated hot pants in the pen. They'll make him take them off .. Slowly.

NINEster

Reaction score
Bruce Miller had some run in with the police, despite being White.

Can't pin it on race all the time, come on now.

I'd rather go with the Maras are in bed with Goodell and the NFL, whereas Richardson, York, etc. are not.

Joygazm

Reaction score
Josh Brown has how many convictions?

Guilty until proven Innocent, America 2016.

OP
OP
HawkAroundTheClock

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
NINEster":1o0cx1jl said:
Bruce Miller had some run in with the police, despite being White.

Can't pin it on race all the f'n time, come on now.

I'd rather go with the Maras are in bed with Goodell and the NFL, whereas Richardson, York, etc. are not.
It's helpful to use the quote function when responding to a specific post. The one you are answering says the Josh Brown story won't gain much attention, and the poster mentions race as being a factor.

Do a something search for Bruce Miller and nothing about police or arrests comes up on the first page. There's one story on page 2 (the 17th item) that mentions he plead no-contest to a domestic-violence charge, and two mentions on page 3. A Greg Hardy search brings up four stories on page 1 that mention domestic violence. A Ray Rice search brings up five.

I agree, we cannot isolate race when comparing these wholesale. There are too many variables. We can say that race might play a role in how much attention a particular story gets. That's just one aspect in all this: the media. In that case we're talking about dozens of outlets, with dozens of editors and decision makers choosing what to cover and how much space to give it.

And I think race isn't the ultimate factor in the NFL's discipline either. Rice was originally suspended 2 games. It was only after the video, and the awkward denial of having seen it, that Goodell and the NFL scrambled around trying to convey that they were aware domestic violence is a bad thing. They promised to be better going forward. But the takeaway is that Goodell and a lot of other men still don't understand or care about the severity of spousal abuse.

Because right on cue, the Ray Rice search I just did brought up this:

Ray Rice Part II? Giants’ Josh Brown Suspended One Game After Disturbing Domestic Violence Claims

[She] estimated she had called the police 10 times prior to the incident that prompted Josh Brown’s arrest in 2015. She estimated that Brown has said he was going to kill her four or five times...

The NFL presumably could have gathered this information if it wanted to. After all, the league claimed it would no longer rely on the criminal justice system. Instead, it would conduct its own research, because domestic abusers have no place in the NFL.

Alas, it was the New York Daily News and not the National Football League that uncovered all of this information. And now it puts the league in quite the quandary.

The NYDN link, includes 911 call: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/footb ... ts+Twitter

And it's not just the head office. Every blind-eye is complicit in allowing this evil stuff to happen. New head coach Ben McAdoo, when he was hired in January:
“Domestic violence is something that we’re all cracking down on in this league,” he stated.
Ben McAdoo this week:
I do support Josh as a man, a father, and a player."
And when asked if he looked into the story himself,
“I stay in my lane,” McAdoo told the Daily News. “I don’t have any information on that.”

I know teams run things their own way and everyone's responsibilities are different. But if the head coach of the Seahawks said that in response to claims that one of his players has been terrorizing his wife and was physically violent with her while she was pregnant, I'd be demanding an explanation, or possibly his termination as coach. The "see no evil, hear no evil" excuse is furiously unacceptable.

I hope this story does blow up, because the NFL has learned nothing from its mistakes.

XxXdragonXxX

Reaction score
ctrcat":33wi996n said:
Hawk-Lock":33wi996n said:

Im confused about this 21 game suspension and not being able to get a job after serving it.

He spent 15 games on the exempt list in 2014 getting paid but not allowed to play. And served an actual suspension of 4 games, playing the last 12 for the Cowboys, thats 19 games, 15 with pay. He then was constantly late to meetings and showed zero remorse for his actions and generally acted like a jackass. So yeah he got a job after the suspenion, and then screwed up that opportunity.

EDIT: forgot the Panthers won the division at 7-8-1 that year so he missed 2 playoff games on the exempt list.

ctrcat

Reaction score
XxXdragonXxX":3q3e0rmg said:
ctrcat":3q3e0rmg said:
Hawk-Lock":3q3e0rmg said:

Im confused about this 21 game suspension and not being able to get a job after serving it.

He spent 15 games on the exempt list in 2014 getting paid but not allowed to play. And served an actual suspension of 4 games, playing the last 12 for the Cowboys, thats 19 games, 15 with pay. He then was constantly late to meetings and showed zero remorse for his actions and generally acted like a jackass. So yeah he got a job after the suspenion, and then screwed up that opportunity.

The two playoff games in 2014/2015 were included in the 21.

In the recent articles that mentioned interest from the Jaguars and Redskins, it was the 2014 DV incident that was inevitably mentioned first and foremost. I think it's safe to say it's not the only, but biggest and most significant mitigating factor.

OP
OP
HawkAroundTheClock

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
Joygazm":3k5grzgd said:
Josh Brown has how many convictions?

Guilty until proven Innocent, America 2016.

I agree that we have to let legal issues play out. I also know that there's not a conviction for every crime.

In this particular story – all allegations from one person, yes – there are several other people involved who can either corroborate or refute the claims. If the police were called to their various residences around 10 times, that points to a pattern of conflict. The accuser was granted a restraining order, the couple sought counseling, and the accused went through therapy for his abusive behavior. The accuser says Brown kicked a door off its hinges and "got in the face" of his 16-year old stepson. The accuser says she reached out to friends, including Matt Hasselbeck and Chris Spencer before going to police.

She was very specific in her interview with a police detective and a court official 6 days after Josh was arrested. If she made up these events, there are several people who can support or deny her claims. We'll have to wait and see what they have to say, and if they're going to say anything at all. So far, the NFL and the Giants have chosen silence.

And I'm just wondering aloud here... this happened in Woodinville. Why did this go unnoticed until now? PFT has a headline now saying "stunning lack of transparency." Is that a nice, non-accusatory way of saying "cover-up?"

HAWKAMANIA

Reaction score
1 game suspension? Wow, that's ridiculous. He needs the full Ray Rice treatment. The Maras are shady people anyway though, he'll get a contract extension.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
I just don't get it. Ray Rice hits his girlfriend once on camera and he basically can't get a job. Josh Brown domestically abuses his wife up to 20 times and he gets one game. It just doesn't seem fair does it?

tmobilchawker79

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":3beb58q5 said:
I just don't get it. Ray Rice hits his girlfriend once on camera and he basically can't get a job. Josh Brown domestically abuses his wife up to 20 times and he gets one game. It just doesn't seem fair does it?

Is it on video like the Ray Rice thing was?

OkieHawk

Reaction score
CHawkTailGator":2s65rvbg said:
Hawk-Lock":2s65rvbg said:

Is it on video like the Ray Rice thing was?

If he's been convicted for the other times it wouldn't matter.

HAWKAMANIA

Reaction score