If I was the Chargers ...

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
I would flat out release Bosa.

What a chump. He turned down yet another offer.

I don't think he is going to be a good NFL player anyways.

Let him try to find a job in this league...

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Sounds like he would have had the highest signing bonus than any player in the last 2 drafts and highest salary after Wentz.

I don't get it? If he sits out the season he's going to miss out on a ton of money and form and chances are no team takes him as high in next years draft. No one knows if he'll be good in the NFL.

If he signs eventually he'll have missed an entire preseason which will affect both him and the Chargers.

There's raising an issue about salary and there's being stupid. All he will do is lose money as the rookie scale won't change until the next cba negotiations.

RedAlice

Reaction score
It's not about the salary.

It's about the percentage of signing bonus paid upfront and the inclusion of offset language.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
RedAlice":2e48nm5q said:

It's about the percentage of signing bonus paid upfront and the inclusion of offset language.

One guy isn't going to change the system though. If the entire 1st round draft pick class held out then maybe.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Glasgow Seahawk":27ksmt79 said:
RedAlice":27ksmt79 said:

One guy isn't going to change the system though. If the entire 1st round draft pick class held out then maybe.

Maybe I was reading it all wrong, but I thought his initial contract offering was starkly different than the rest of the first round... thus the outrage?

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Uncle Si":3p9jkwh3 said:
Glasgow Seahawk":3p9jkwh3 said:
RedAlice":3p9jkwh3 said:

Maybe I was reading it all wrong, but I thought his initial contract offering was starkly different than the rest of the first round... thus the outrage?

They've negotiated since then...was the final offer still way different?

RedAlice

Reaction score
Glasgow Seahawk":ea39x5q8 said:
RedAlice":ea39x5q8 said:

All teams don't require the offset language.

My understanding is that Bosa wanted either 100% of the bonus paid up front OR no offset language.

Current reports are that CAA (his agency) came down to 95% and that the Chargers yesterday offered 85% - no deal was reached.

Haven't read anything regarding the offset language, but they don't seem to be reaching an agreement and now it's pretty late to join the team.

RedAlice

Reaction score
The Chargers and Ayrault have been unable to close the gap over how much of Bosa's $17 million signing bonus will be paid out in 2016, the remainder being deferred into next March.

San Diego's best offer featured an 85 percent cash payout in 2016, sources said, or $14,464,630. While a source said that Ayrault has budged from seeking a 100 percent cash payout of Bosa's bonus in 2016, it was felt the payout percentage was not large enough to end an impasse that has forced Bosa to miss all of training camp and now likely all of the preseason.

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/new ... act-offer/

randomation

Reaction score
Could also be about not wanting to play for The Chargers same as Eli. The organization is not well thought of and could be moving in the next few years.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Glasgow Seahawk":joaztrbw said:
Uncle Si":joaztrbw said:
Glasgow Seahawk":joaztrbw said:
RedAlice":joaztrbw said:

They've negotiated since then...was the final offer still way different?

The final offer wasn't substantially different.

For whatever reason, the Chargers seem intent on crafting a deal substantially aberrant of other top 5 draft pick deals.

Bosa has said since May that he'd accept one but not both.

What's odd is that most deferrals are payable in January. Not only is SD holding out for both concessions, but they want to defer the unpaid bonus after March 17th -- in the 2017 league year. This is also unprecedented for a first round pick, much less a top 3 pick.

It would be enough for any top rated player to consider that the Chargers may not be the best organization long term to play for. If they're going to the mattresses for what seems like a uniquely team friendly deal -- what will they be like in years 5, 6 and 7?

It may seem ridiculous for him to skip a year. But it's also going to become more apparent that escaping the SD organization may actually improve his long term ability to earn if he is drafted by another team not so willing to capriciously hold club control in such a ham handed manner.

I'd guess that this final offer is really for public benefit. I don't believe for a second that they'll torch the pick for a 10% deferral of slotted bonus.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
You cannot release him because old man COWBOY owner will grab him and say he just made a brilliant move :pukeface:

HawkGA

Reaction score
The Chargers might be being dicks, but he's likely cost g himself a lot more money than they are screwing him over for. Seriously, a March payout over a January one? It's two more the. Get over it.

As to the offset language, I have no sympathy for the players on that one.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
The Chargers are a loser franchise. Spanos is apparently so broke, he wants to make mounds of interest off of Bosa's money and can't just give the bonus money farther up front when Bosa wants it to make it earn interest for himself.

Bosa is already screwed by the terrible CBA into being drafted forcibly to a loser franchise and locked into a salary spot, which is antithetical to free trade of labor for money. He should go play in the CFL for a year and re-enter the draft.

It's astounding that people even support the Chargers in this one, IMO.

RedAlice

Reaction score
IndyHawk":pbnbg1pf said:
You cannot release him because old man COWBOY owner will grab him and say he just made a brilliant move :pukeface:

The deadline to trade drafted, unsigned players was August 9th - if he doesn't sign with the Chargers he has to go back into the draft next year.

Good explanation of the issues in this article:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/charg ... est-offer/

ivotuk

Reaction score
Bosa is an idiot. It's a very fair offer, yet he, his agent, and his parents have decided to hold out.

Was listening to John Clayton, and he thinks Bosa is crazy for not accepting the offer.

Bosa is losing money, and he's a fool to think that he's going to change the system under the Spanos regime.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
Bosa is the typical clown born with a silver spoon in his mouth punk who never wanted to play for the Chargers to begin with. The Chargers should just let him rot and re-enter the draft. Hopefully the Browns draft him so he can start his whiny self entitled child like tirade again...He is trash and I hope he is a bust.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
How is it arrogant to want your bonus money when you sign the contract? It's more arrogant to think that you have a right to defer part of the bonus money so that you can stick it in a short-term, high-interest investment when you pay it. That's likely why the Chargers want to keep some part of that money. It should be Bosa's to spend or invest (probably invest to some degree; his parents have experience with this stuff and were clearly smart with their money) when he wants it. It's his friggin' bonus.

I think it's great that Bosa, unlike many players, isn't dirt poor and doesn't have to play for a franchise or sign a contract that he doesn't want to sign. Good for him. I hope he's really successful in the league and gets what he wants, whether from the Chargers or some other team.

HawkGA

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":cg6corr9 said:
The Chargers are a loser franchise. Spanos is apparently so broke, he wants to make mounds of interest off of Bosa's money and can't just give the bonus money farther up front when Bosa wants it to make it earn interest for himself.

Bosa is already screwed by the terrible CBA into being drafted forcibly to a loser franchise and locked into a salary spot, which is antithetical to free trade of labor for money. He should go play in the CFL for a year and re-enter the draft.

It's astounding that people even support the Chargers in this one, IMO.

I don't know that anybody is supporting the Chargers (though I guess I am on offset language, but I don't really know enough to have a firm position). I think most people just recognize the situation for what it is and think Bosa is making a bad decision.

On the interest, one thing to consider is that if this is the way Spanos writes all their contracts (and from what I read early on, it is) then this is interest not just Bosa's salary but everybody's. Possibly no small chunk of change (though, seriously, it's still pretty small in the grand scheme of things). I'm guessing, and I could be wrong, that the big stick up is the league year thing. There is probably a very big reason why they are trying to push the payout passed the league year changing. Whether that is salary cap or maybe a payout of revenue sharing, I don't know. But I'm guessing that is a big deal.