Sr./Jr.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Anyone else notice an abundance of these designations popping up after names on the backs of jerseys? The Jr. distinctions I get, but does the Sr. add-on mean that the player is the father of a son with the last name? Good thing Houschmanzada didn't roll with something like this.

dbmack

Reaction score
Prior to RGIII coming into the league name suffixes were not allowed on jerseys. When they changed it for him they changed it for everyone.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
dbmack":1wsc2i45 said:
Prior to RGIII coming into the league name suffixes were not allowed on jerseys. When they changed it for him they changed it for everyone.
Yep not a fan of it, but whatever.....
As long as they play well for my team is all I really care about.

mrt144

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":1bw7xui7 said:
dbmack":1bw7xui7 said:
Yep not a fan of it, but whatever.....
As long as they play well for my team is all I really care about.

Not a fan of names. Got it.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":2lqjdda1 said:
Anyone else notice an abundance of these designations popping up after names on the backs of jerseys? The Jr. distinctions I get, but does the Sr. add-on mean that the player is the father of a son with the last name? Good thing Houschmanzada didn't roll with something like this.

Giphy

OP
OP
Siouxhawk

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Seanhawk":1lv35xgi said:
Siouxhawk":1lv35xgi said:

Giphy
You must not know either I take it.

dbmack

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":1dzxs0rs said:
Seanhawk":1dzxs0rs said:
Siouxhawk":1dzxs0rs said:

Giphy
Sr. means the son (Jr.) has the same first, middle and last name as he does. Some use II instead of junior.

OP
OP
Siouxhawk

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
dbmack":3741n1lk said:
Siouxhawk":3741n1lk said:
Seanhawk":3741n1lk said:
Siouxhawk":3741n1lk said:

Giphy
Sr. means the son (Jr.) has the same first, middle and last name as he does. Some use II instead of junior.
OK thanks dbmack. Noticed a half dozen of those in the preseason. Proud daddies, I guess.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":3ln4h68x said:
. Proud daddies, I guess.

Has been my thought too.

And as far as fads go, proud daddies publicly repping that they're proud daddies has seriously got to be the least objectionable fad someone could come up with. Being annoyed by it just doesn't make a lick of sense to me.

More than happy to be corrected and supplied with more info, but I really noticed it spreading for the first time this pre-season too.

The first time I saw it was last year (or maybe the year before?) with "Steve Smith Sr.", but maybe there was someone earlier than him?

OP
OP
Siouxhawk

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
I think C-Mike is sporting it. Here's hoping for many 'senior moments' from him.

mrt144

Reaction score
Popeyejones":e1m26dwo said:
Siouxhawk":e1m26dwo said:
. Proud daddies, I guess.

Has been my thought too.

And as far as fads go, proud daddies publicly repping that they're proud daddies has seriously got to be the least objectionable fad someone could come up with. Being annoyed by it just doesn't make a lick of sense to me.

More than happy to be corrected and supplied with more info, but I really noticed it spreading for the first time this pre-season too.

The first time I saw it was last year (or maybe the year before?) with "Steve Smith Sr.", but maybe there was someone earlier than him?

I thought fanny packs were the least objectionable but oh how I was wrong.

253hawk

Reaction score
Sr. only makes sense if their son is in the league at the same time, like the Griffeys. Probably almost impossible for that to happen in the NFL, unless the dad is a kicker or something.

I don't even really care for names on the jerseys though; it's purely a marketing ploy to get fans to shell out money. The number is enough.

Maulbert

Reaction score
dbmack":39yp85gf said:
Siouxhawk":39yp85gf said:
Seanhawk":39yp85gf said:
Siouxhawk":39yp85gf said:

Giphy

It is true that II is used in place of junior in certain cases, however, II is usually indicative of someone who was named after someone else, but not their father. Usually a grandfather or uncle, who's name could take on a I if they so choose.