Carson Wentz named Eagles week 1 starter.

OkieHawk

Reaction score
Rule":2f3pzv38 said:
Very surprised

I'm not. They have nobody else as a viable long term option. Maybe if they hadn't traded Bradford they could have slowly put Wentz in, but that option is gone now.

Rambitious

Reaction score
OkieHawk":gr8sgofz said:
Rule":gr8sgofz said:
Very surprised

I'm not. They have nobody else as a viable long term option. Maybe if they hadn't traded Bradford they could have slowly put Wentz in, but that option is gone now.

Exactly, they have NO viable option now.
Starter by default.

kearly

Reaction score
If you believe in protecting Wentz while he develops, then it doesn't really matter too much who you protect him with. The Eagles could have signed Mark Sanchez or Austin Davis to start, gone 5-11, drafted high next year and then plugged in Wentz in year two. It's a new regime so they've got a couple years to burn.

I'm fine with throwing a rookie to the fire, IF he has decent pass protection. Last year OL play was a major issue issue for the Eagles.

CodeWarrior

Reaction score
Mistake. Straight from North Dakota State to the NFL is too tall of a task.

OP
OP
R

Rule

Reaction score
I think Philly is going to have a top 15, possibly top 10 defense this year. That alone is going to keep them from being able to tank the season, imo.

Maulbert

Reaction score
OkieHawk":nuw6r9ki said:
Rule":nuw6r9ki said:
Very surprised

I can't fault the Bradford deal, though. If the Vikings are desperate enough and dumb enough to give up a first rounder for him, you take that deal in a heartbeat. That's the dumbest QB trade since Chicago gave us a first rounder for Rick Mirer in 1997.

Fade

Reaction score
CodeWarrior":3akhwlrt said:

I agree. I would have played him this year, but after the pressure was off, and they were out of contention. The Eagles are going to play to win early in the year like all teams do, and will ask Wentz to do too much, and it will be ugly. Hopefully he can overcome the psychological beat down he is about to endure.

DeSeahawk

Reaction score
Rule":28otb2vl said:
I think Philly is going to have a top 15, possibly top 10 defense this year. That alone is going to keep them from being able to tank the season, imo.

Never doubt Philly's ability to play like crap. :lol: Delaware is, unfortunately, Eagles country. I've seen some pretty horrendous football over the years.

Maulbert

Reaction score
CodeWarrior":1m190ah8 said:

Maybe, but Rapistberger went straight from Miami (Ohio) to Pissburgh and Flacco went straight from Delaware to Baltimore and they both had immediate success, so there is precedent for small program QBs making a successful jump. Plus Wentz is in the mold of both those guys, too.

2_0_6

Reaction score
Depending on how healthy Bradford stays and how well he does, the Eagles could possibly be looking two top 15 picks next season.

NINEster

Reaction score
Maulbert":nvd6dm8l said:
CodeWarrior":nvd6dm8l said:

Maybe, but Rapistberger went straight from Miami (Ohio) to Pissburgh and Flacco went straight from Delaware to Baltimore and they both had immediate success, so there is precedent for small program QBs making a successful jump. Plus Wentz is in the mold of both those guys, too.

"Immediate success" because of talented defenses and pitch counts for the QB.

How did the Rapist look in the super bowl that should not be mentioned? How does he look now?

How did Flacco look in 2013 following SB and team decimation? Worse than his rookie year probably?

Don't forget Wilson was able to look decent as a rookie, with "immediate success" too.

Yep, Wilson was the last NFL rookie QB that will ever have immediate success. :roll:

OkieHawk

Reaction score
NINEster":31pqn4og said:
Maulbert":31pqn4og said:
CodeWarrior":31pqn4og said:

How did the Rapist look in the super bowl that should not be mentioned? How does he look now?

How did Flacco look in 2013 following SB and team decimation? Worse than his rookie year probably?

Don't forget Wilson was able to look decent as a rookie, with "immediate success" too.

Yep, Wilson was the last NFL rookie QB that will ever have immediate success. :roll:

Where in the world was the bolded said in this thread?

DavidSeven

Reaction score
If they think he's the guy, and it sounds like they do, then why not? I think the idea of sitting rookie QBs is becoming a little antiquated. Where would we be if we had benched Wilson and he never got to take those early lumps? Those early lessons against Arizona and St. Louis helped shape the player he became later.

This is not like Goff, who is 21 years old and looks completely ill-equipped to play with professionals at present. (Goff should not have been a #1 prospect either IMO, but that's none of my business.) Wentz has impressed in practice and limited preseason action. The Eagles were going nowhere with Bradford and would go nowhere with Chase Daniel. If they lose 10+ games so be it. At least their QB will learn something in the process. If it allows them to figure out earlier that he is or isn't the guy, then that is also helpful in the long run.

However, I do think it's important to keep him upright. If they can't do that, then sure, use random backups as sacrificial lambs on your way to 4-12. But personally, if I can protect the pass, I want to see if the kid's innate talents translate to the field ASAP.

Threedee

Reaction score
NINEster":8hgspk0q said:
Maulbert":8hgspk0q said:
CodeWarrior":8hgspk0q said:

Is Wisconsin a small program, now?

ivotuk

Reaction score
Poor Cleveland, they traded that 2nd round pick to Philly. Paxton Lynch was my #1 QB with Wentz a close 2nd. Never felt comfortable about Goff.

Why do people still ignore the "Lewin Career Forecast?" (Links below)

"Over the summer, DePodesta told ESPN.com's Tony Grossi that the Browns didn't take Wentz because they didn't think he'd develop into a top-20 quarterback. That's laughable. When he was a baseball executive, DePodesta famously had the A's draft Jeremy Brown -- who didn't possess many real skills beyond drawing walks -- because his computer said so. Brown, dubbed the "Fat Catcher," predictably flamed out.

Fat chance this works in Cleveland's favor."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... is-torched

"Wisconsin quarterback (by way of N.C. State) Russell Wilson has the highest LCF score of any quarterback –- including Robert Griffin –- since the inception of this projection tool."

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/future ... g-asterisk

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/nfl-dr ... ecast-2012