Top NFC teams, who looks good?

dogorama

Reaction score
Watching the projected top teams in NFL this weekend:

Green Bay looks the best to me even if they did just squeak out a win over the Jags. Rogers is very sharp again and he has his full complement of receivers plus an emerging TE who they are incorporating more into the game. They also have the easiest schedule among the top NFC teams.

The Seahawks actually looked the worst to me but that was primarily their offense, the Seahawks defense actually looked the best. How that will pan out is anyone's guess but if RW's ankle injury lingers it could make for a long season.

Arizona is a bit of a question mark, coming into this season they were very hyped and I wondered how accurate that was. Palmer should have been intercepted several times and Arizona's secondary is not good outside of their core players. It is too early to tell but they definitely have some areas of concern.

Carolina already has as many losses as they had all last season but I certainly wouldn't count them out. I guess I would have expected them to do a little better against a new Denver QB that had only taken one snap in the NFL but Denver's defense is stout.

The Vikings affirmed what I suspected, i.e. they won't get far w/Hill at QB but I am intrigued by that defense. Everything depends on how well Bradford adapts to their offense and whether he can stay healthy.

This isn't a review per se but just some preliminary observations. Of course it's way too early to arrive at any conclusions but I would be interested in what anyone else saw.

2_0_6

Reaction score
My sleeper NFC team going into this season is Washington. Some are doubting Cousins, but the addition of Norman and a killer WR corps, they could make good a run into the playoffs.

Their biggest issue seems to be the running game, they should have not let Morris walk with no solid backup plan.

hawker84

Reaction score
Greenbay barely beat Jacksonville?

I'd say after week 1, barring something crazy happening tonight, I'd say Carolina is the most complete team in the NFC after week 1. I still think Seattle is the best team, once (if) the offense starts rolling. but right now, I'd say Carolina.

2_0_6

Reaction score
Carolina has some serious holes at in their secondary. The loss of Norman will be huge as the season goes on

SeAhAwKeR4life

Reaction score
dogorama":pdjx5uqv said:
hawker84":pdjx5uqv said:

I'm confused by your comment, did I miss something?

While it's true GB gave up more points than they should have, the outcome was never really in doubt. Solid win in Jacksonville for visiting Pack.

hawker84

Reaction score
dogorama":3h9ughfs said:
hawker84":3h9ughfs said:

You stated you thought GB looked the best, I responded in a questioning manner as to why, seeing how they barely beat Jacksonville....

OP
OP
dogorama

dogorama

Reaction score
hawker84":2jgcjdcp said:
dogorama":2jgcjdcp said:
hawker84":2jgcjdcp said:

You stated you thought GB looked the best, I responded in a questioning manner as to why, seeing how they barely beat Jacksonville....

Okay, I thought you might be questioning whether they "barely" beat them. I think the Jags are a really good team, Bortles is a good QB and they have a good running back. They made some big moves in the offseason and had a good draft. Many analysts project them to be a playoff contender this year. http://www.cheatsheet.com/sports/predic ... ?a=viewall

OP
OP
dogorama

dogorama

Reaction score

mikeak

Reaction score
SeAhAwKeR4life":2z38c862 said:
dogorama":2z38c862 said:
hawker84":2z38c862 said:

While it's true GB gave up more points than they should have, the outcome was never really in doubt. Solid win in Jacksonville for visiting Pack.

Is this a joke? Did you watch Jacksonville's last drive? Did you see the blatant arm-bar by the GB defender on the Jacksonville deep ball down the sideline?

The team that is down 4 pts have the ball to basically end the game if they score and they are moving downfield. If that is defined as "the outcome was never in doubt" then I guess I missed something..

Was GB better sure, could they easily have lost it on that last drive - absolutely

GB playing Seattle in the playoffs - now that was a game never in doubt.......you know until it was over and Seattle had won

2_0_6

Reaction score
SeAhAwKeR4life":2i0qn6kq said:
dogorama":2i0qn6kq said:
hawker84":2i0qn6kq said:

Eh really?

There were several PI calls on the GB secondary that weren't called. IIRC there was one on the last drive as well.

The Pack escaped with that win thanks to the officials.

b8rtm8nn

Reaction score
Tampa Bay looked improved - I think they are the surprise playoff team this year. We play them next, so I'm interested to see how that pans out.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Hawk_Nation":svcp2oik said:
My sleeper NFC team going into this season is Washington. Some are doubting Cousins, but the addition of Norman and a killer WR corps, they could make good a run into the playoffs.

Their biggest issue seems to be the running game, they should have not let Morris walk with no solid backup plan.

Matt Jones is better than Morris. Jones just has to stay healthy

mikeak

Reaction score
Hawk_Nation":2364980w said:
There were several PI calls on the GB secondary that weren't called. IIRC there was one on the last drive as well.

LOL - look at my post right above yours at about the same time - absolutely correct that holding of the arm was really nice, sneaky and yep against the rules....

OP
OP
dogorama

dogorama

Reaction score
mikeak":3jcrgb6a said:
Hawk_Nation":3jcrgb6a said:

LOL - look at my post right above yours at about the same time - absolutely correct that holding of the arm was really nice, sneaky and yep against the rules....

I have to agree w/you guys, the Jags were totally in that game.

Ruminator

Reaction score
Yeah, Seattle's offense had way too many crappy/busted plays, and because of that, all three units probably just got a "what the hell happened to them!?" label across the country even though it was only the offense having issues. While the D gets an A- and ST gets a B, the O gets a D at best, late game-winning drive notwithstanding.

I don't pay much attention to power rankings but Seattle is sure to drop several spots after floundering on offense the way they did for 90% of the game. Have to hope that game was 1) a bit flukey, 2) partly a byproduct of Ifedi being unavailable, 3) a vastly improved Dolphins D, and 4) the Seahawks' usual sluggish start on the way to eventually figuring out how to kick serious posterior on offense.

Rat

Reaction score
Jacksonville is legit, not blowing them out is hardly a knock on the Packers. At the very least, the Jags are better than the team we struggled at home with.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
its week one...give it a few more...because as it would stand now the hawks looked worse than any nfc team....well except for washington i guess

Rat

Reaction score
b8rtm8nn":23c7coi8 said:
Tampa Bay looked improved - I think they are the surprise playoff team this year. We play them next, so I'm interested to see how that pans out.

That was the big surprise to me. Jameis was likely to improve, but they looked way better than Atlanta in every part of the game, despite the final score looking close.