Thank god the Rams chose Goff instead of Wentz

andyh64000

Reaction score
With Wentz and that defense the Rams would have been a formidable contender in the West. At least Goff and Fisher will keep them mediocre for a few more years.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Way too early to jump to conclusions, but Wentz looks really good.

chris98251

Reaction score
He doesn't have overnight delivery but Express is still pretty good.

2_0_6

Reaction score
He took some licks and popped up like it was nothing. Kid looks solid so far, the NFC east might have a future rivalry brewing.

Ramfan128

Reaction score
While Wentz does look good, I think that the Rams with Goff would probably be 2-0 if we played the Browns and Bears. At this point I certainly think the Niners look better than the Browns and obviously the Seahawks are in another class from all those teams.

Having said that, I preferred Wentz in the draft and how events have unfolded is certainly not what I expected.

Although exposing Goff to a late Monday night road game followed by the best defense in the NFL wouldn't exactly be setting him up for success.

gowazzu02

Reaction score
Wentz got to face the two worst teams in the NFL his first two weeks. Let's give him a few months before we crown him.

Also Goff, I like any Seahawks fan worth his salt HATE the Rams. But there was a time once upon a time when you didn't throw your first round QB into the fire immediately. Not everyone is Russel Wilson. There are far more QB's who aren't ready and throwing them to the fire stunts their growth (hellooooo Andrew Luck)

OP
OP
andyh64000

andyh64000

Reaction score
I know all I get it was I see on TV but to me it is pretty clear that Wentz is a better prospect than Goff. He is better physically and more importantly better mentally. It is obviously too early to call Wentz and star and Goff a bust but at this point would anyone be surprised if that is where things ended up?

Pops

Reaction score
I won't be surprised if both are a bust. Weak QB class.

gowazzu02

Reaction score
kobebryant":3twok1wv said:
gowazzu02":3twok1wv said:
(hellooooo Andrew Luck)

What do you mean by that ?

He's not a very good quarterback. He was the "best qb coming into the nfl since Elway". He is a human turnover machine. He has some volume stats he's put up but that's about it.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
I think Wentz is a worthy prospect and worth a lot of the hype. Prototypical size, plus arm, plus athleticism, plus intangibles, seemingly grasping the playbook well. I like him. Goff never struck me as special, but he impressed a lot of people in college and I'm by no means a pro scout.

Ramfan128

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":3ddosaj9 said:
I think Wentz is a worthy prospect and worth a lot of the hype. Prototypical size, plus arm, plus athleticism, plus intangibles, seemingly grasping the playbook well. I like him. Goff never struck me as special, but he impressed a lot of people in college and I'm by no means a pro scout.

Goff's footwork is the first thing that blew people away. Then his toughness and pocket awareness. And I have to admit, that from a Rams fan perspective, these were all Bradford's biggest weaknesses and downfalls.

Goff played with what appeared to be a high school level offensive line and dragged Cal back to respectability almost singlehandedly.

It was generally agreed upon that Goff had superior accuracy, and of course Goff had a lot more tape to study.

With Wentz it was his physical attributes, the fact that he's a winner and seemed to have almost Tebow-like intangibles. All of these agreed upon "facts" lead me to this conclusion:

If you're starting the QB day 1, take Goff

If you have time to wait, take Wentz

Years 1-4 Goff would be better. After that Wentz would be better.

Then to make matters confusing you had Goff's coach coming out and saying that Goff had A LOT of control in the offense, and with protections. Unusual for an "Air Raid" QB. Meanwhile Wentz played in a pro style offense, under center, but had a ludicrously low number of passing attempts compared to Goff.

Ultimately I'm not going to lie, I fell in love with Wentz. I accepted that it would be Goff and honestly, I thought both could be good in the right situation. I still do.

We'll just have to wait and see. Our travel schedule over the next 5 games is absolutely nuts - I would wait until after the bye to put Goff in if the offense is still struggling.

gowazzu02

Reaction score
Ramfan128":1to9q9t4 said:
Maelstrom787":1to9q9t4 said:

Goff's footwork is the first thing that blew people away. Then his toughness and pocket awareness. And I have to admit, that from a Rams fan perspective, these were all Bradford's biggest weaknesses and downfalls.

Goff played with what appeared to be a high school level offensive line and dragged Cal back to respectability almost singlehandedly.

It was generally agreed upon that Goff had superior accuracy, and of course Goff had a lot more tape to study.

With Wentz it was his physical attributes, the fact that he's a winner and seemed to have almost Tebow-like intangibles. All of these agreed upon "facts" lead me to this conclusion:

If you're starting the QB day 1, take Goff

If you have time to wait, take Wentz

Years 1-4 Goff would be better. After that Wentz would be better.

Then to make matters confusing you had Goff's coach coming out and saying that Goff had A LOT of control in the offense, and with protections. Unusual for an "Air Raid" QB. Meanwhile Wentz played in a pro style offense, under center, but had a ludicrously low number of passing attempts compared to Goff.

Ultimately I'm not going to lie, I fell in love with Wentz. I accepted that it would be Goff and honestly, I thought both could be good in the right situation. I still do.

We'll just have to wait and see. Our travel schedule over the next 5 games is absolutely nuts - I would wait until after the bye to put Goff in if the offense is still struggling.

Anybody else get deja vu about the highlighted statement from the Peyton Manning Ryan Leaf pre draft talk? Just me?

But besides that. If its going to take 4 years for either QB both coachs who drafted them will be gone by the time to get the benefit of that pick.

SeahawksFanForever

Reaction score
Goff is on a team full of defensive minded coaching staff & young OC. Wentz is on a team full of coaching staff that were former NFL QBs, QB coaches, OCs, etc. This might play a role in their long term success, and how they are being handled during their early years.

But yeah, it is way too early to say anything about both of them.

Largent80

Reaction score
Ive said this 1,000 times. However, the Rams beat the Hawks with Keenum which is really embarrasing.

chris98251

Reaction score
Wentz has the confidence of his coach that was a good back up for years, they let Bradford go, he may not be hall of fame but they see something already that made them comfortable in getting Bradford out of town, they also have a decent backup behind him so a safety net.

OP
OP
andyh64000

andyh64000

Reaction score
chris98251":2gqvwobf said:
Wentz has the confidence of his coach that was a good back up for years, they let Bradford go, he may not be hall of fame but they see something already that made them comfortable in getting Bradford out of town, they also have a decent backup behind him so a safety net.

He is also not as dumb as a pile of rocks.

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
andyh64000":eb4lxpf8 said:
chris98251":eb4lxpf8 said:

He is also not as dumb as a pile of rocks.

This.

If in doubt between 2 highly regarded prospects, go with the one who at least has a concept of what a time zone is.