Is Steve Smith a Hall of Famer?

Erebus

Reaction score
I never thought I would see/hear this question. Of course he's a future Hall of Famer. I'd be interested to hear an argument against it, because I can't think of one.

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
I'd say 1st ballot if it wasn't for the ridiculous number of WR with crazy stats he will be up against.

drdiags

Reaction score
I don't consider him a HOF, but the scale seems to slide based on how the media perceives a player vs what the common fan thinks.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
The Steve Smith with the Panthers over 5 yrs ago -yes Today-no

homerun1970

Reaction score
Yes he is. I can remember in the run up to that travesty that was XL the hawks had to game plan exclusively to stop one man it was him. His body of work through the years support him getting in for his play. There are however many that were way better as a team player.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
IndyHawk":9o79cxcw said:

Of course not now. If players were judged on how they played when they were "holding on" in the league, there would be very few HOFers.

themunn

Reaction score
IndyHawk":1yno3d28 said:

Yeah I wouldn't have put Jerry Rice in the HoF based on his last year in the league either.

SmokinHawk

Reaction score
SeAhAwKeR4life":1a7oflk8 said:
SmokinHawk":1a7oflk8 said:
Dude's overrated.

IDK about that. When did Smith ever have more than a "good" QB? He never had a great one throwing to him. Hell of a player.

Regardless of who your QB is, when you throw at the same guy nearly every play, he is going to rack up yards and TDs. Maybe I'm biased, but I always perceived Steve Smith as an overrated hothead who puked when he got nervous.

nanomoz

Reaction score
volsunghawk":3cgwscls said:
Probably not first ballot due to the WR logjam, but yeah, he'll get in.

I think this is spot on. His early career special teams dominance is often overlooked, but it might separate him from some other candidates a few years down the line. I recall a number of kick return touchdowns and near touchdowns.

ctrcat

Reaction score
nanomoz":2qm1u3y1 said:
volsunghawk":2qm1u3y1 said:
Probably not first ballot due to the WR logjam, but yeah, he'll get in.

I think this is spot on. His early career special teams dominance is often overlooked, but it might separate him from some other candidates a few years down the line. I recall a number of kick return touchdowns and near touchdowns.

Exactly. The first time he ever touched the ball was the opening kickoff of the 2001 season, which was returned for a TD, two days before 9/11. That's how long he has produced.

OP
OP
H

HawkGA

Reaction score
SmokinHawk":28qehs9s said:
SeAhAwKeR4life":28qehs9s said:
SmokinHawk":28qehs9s said:
Dude's overrated.

IDK about that. When did Smith ever have more than a "good" QB? He never had a great one throwing to him. Hell of a player.

Regardless of who your QB is, when you throw at the same guy nearly every play, he is going to rack up yards and TDs. Maybe I'm biased, but I always perceived Steve Smith as an overrated hothead who puked when he got nervous.

I recall a long time ago somebody saying of Latrell Sprewell with the Knicks, "it's not hard to be the best player on a bad team."

I think I have a different idea in my mind of what it should mean to be a Hall of Famer. When Peter King talks about it he talks about trying to get in as many people as possible. That, to me, is stupid and devalues what it means to be a Hall of Famer. I'm not saying they should be as stingy as baseball, but I think they could use with some tightening of letting people in.

A

Anonymous

Talent and accomplishments? Perhaps.

Crybaby attitude and general lack of sportsmanship? Negative.

I remember that NFCCG when it seemed nothing on the sidelines was safe from being kicked or knocked over, especially when the camera was on him.

It doesn't matter what you are able to accomplish and in what quantity, all it takes is one act of stupidity to topple every domino.