if Kaep starts, will it matter?

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Ian Rapoport and br are reporting that Kaep will start next game.

The local sports media and many fans seem genuinely enthused. I am confused. Kaep and Gabbert have similar styles: some success in taking off with the ball, criticism for overly doing handoffs and short throws, and inaccuracy in the long throw. While there is nothing to lose per kaps supposed renegotiation, the possibility that Kaep can meaningfully contribute seems very remote.

So an informal poll... do you see Kaep as the starter moving the needle either way?

rlkats

Reaction score
If he has success it screws the niners. If he fails it helps the niners. Here is what I see

Kap has enough success that our draft position is damaged.
Then the Niners cut him
Balke keeps his Job
And we will still suck

Now for all the not to happen a Unicorn and a leprechaun need to have a baby and give the niners some major luck.

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
SantaClaraHawk":3fb6f6n3 said:
Ian Rapoport and br are reporting that Kaep will start next game.

The local sports media and many fans seem genuinely enthused. I am confused. Kaep and Gabbert have similar styles: some success in taking off with the ball, criticism for overly doing handoffs and short throws, and inaccuracy in the long throw. While there is nothing to lose per kaps supposed renegotiation, the possibility that Kaep can meaningfully contribute seems very remote.

So an informal poll... do you see Kaep as the starter moving the needle either way?
As a 49er fan who has watched Kap his entire career, I'll say this: his down the field inaccuracy issues are more to do with his mind than his arm. When he knows what he's doing he is extremely accurate, especially mid-range passes. Now, compared to Gabbert? Kaepernick is the more accurate passer. Gabbert can throw a "how the hell" zinger every once in a while, but he has massive footwork inconsistency issues that cause his passes to float far too often.

Which brings us to the main point: will Kap make the offense better? That depends on what Chip Kelly's offense actually demands. I don't have a playbook and I'm not in practice, so I can't say. It if demands anticipation and calm in the pocket, then Kaepernick probably won't change things much. If instead all the thinking is taken away by the system, Kap might do better than people think.

Me? I'm just waiting for the draft to get the 49ers quarterback. Preferably the 2018 draft.

Throwdown":3fb6f6n3 said:
Probably not, that offensive system and philosophy is a joke.
Kelly is scheming WRs wide open for sure touchdowns almost every week, and almost every time Gabbert is missing them.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Overseasfan":35yk084q said:
Probably, Kaep has a much higher ceiling than Gabbert.
\

Then all is not lost for Gabbert as they had once continuously used to say how much higher Kaeps ceiling was over Wilson.

mbtitleist

Reaction score
SantaClaraHawk":1u0bxv90 said:
Kaep and Gabbert have similar styles: some success in taking off with the ball

Um, what? Kaepernick is a far better runner than Gabbert.

chris98251

Reaction score
But Kaep still needs to gain weight and get strong..................

Actually I read they are trying to redo his contract, they want to get rid of the guarantee payment of 14 million next year if he is injured in turn for him being able to void the next year or something to that effect.

He has to be able to pass a physical next April currently or he gets the 14 million, kind of why they don't let him do anything outside wear a balloon Samurai suit in practice and nobody touches him and he doesn't throw a lot.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
Kaep needs to work on his running back skills and not so much the "working through the progression" thing.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
chris98251":1xylsey7 said:
But Kaep still needs to gain weight and get strong..................

Actually I read they are trying to redo his contract, they want to get rid of the guarantee payment of 14 million next year if he is injured in turn for him being able to void the next year or something to that effect.

He has to be able to pass a physical next April currently or he gets the 14 million, kind of why they don't let him do anything outside wear a balloon Samurai suit in practice and nobody touches him and he doesn't throw a lot.

I heard this on the radio today, that they are redoing his contract to remove the injury clause. I am very curious to see how they restructure his deal though. Seems they would have to sweeten the pot in some other way for him to agree to it.

I posted elsewhere that I didn't think we would see Kap play due directly to that clause because they're FO doesn't trust him to not get hurt or not fake getting hurt like he did last year to keep them on the hook. If they do remove the injury clause I definitely believe he will see the field. If he has any success at all his trade value will improve, potentially alot.

Will he be better than Gabbert is a good question. He is definitely more accurate and a better runner but will they let him run at his current weight? He is also way behind on reading defenses and going through progressions and will not have a security blanket like he did with Crabtree and Boldin. Possibly Kerely could become that guy but I don't believe he is near the possession receiver of Crabs or Boldin were and it will take some time to gain chemistry with him.

If I had to predict I would say he will look better than Gabbert for a game or two but regress as teams figure his style in Chips offense and his confidence starts taking hits. Overall I don't think it will much matter. He could possibly help to get a couple more wins and hurt their draft position like rlkats said, but he won't be making them any kind of real threat and will likely be on a different roster next year.

OP
OP
S

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
mbtitleist":1lixtdcm said:
SantaClaraHawk":1lixtdcm said:
Kaep and Gabbert have similar styles: some success in taking off with the ball

Um, what? Kaepernick is a far better runner than Gabbert.

Kaep utilized the run way more pre 14 but his passing accuracy fell as he felt pressured to throw more. Without Crabs and VD his passing game regressed to the point Gabs was brought in.

Nothing about Kaep has changed other than his twig weight and not making a game pass for a year.

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
Cyrus12":1f2aztsf said:
just means more interceptions...so no...
Little known fact: Kaepernick had a lower int percentage than Gabbert last season. In fact his career int percentage is the same as Russell Wilson's.

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
Threedee":1iv9iulh said:
I will kneel down on the spot every time he is sacked or picked.
I recommend you stock up on anti inflammatories.