Why does Mike McCoy still have a job?

ivotuk

Reaction score
And why does his DC still have a job?

Wow are they horrible at winning in the most important quarter of the game, the final one. If you look at the stats, Philip Rivers and Melvin Gordon are at the top of almost every category, and the Chargers have scored more points than they've allowed, yet they are 1-4.

I'll be rooting for them THursday, and enjoying Bosa playing, but man... :34853_doh:

Laloosh

Reaction score
They are just falling apart in the 4th quarter. It's insane!

Oh well. Better them than us.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
likely has a photo of the owner getting too friendly with livestock animals or something...How else can he have a job? Although he is likely gone after the Thurs nighter when they lose again.

xgeoff

Reaction score
This was the way they were back in the Dan Fouts days, too. Great offense, no defense. I don't know how this coaching staff still has jobs, maybe the owner is preoccupied with stadium issues.

Thing is, they are wasting Philip Rivers' most productive years.

OP
OP
ivotuk

ivotuk

Reaction score
xgeoff":1yjebowk said:
This was the way they were back in the Dan Fouts days, too. Great offense, no defense. I don't know how this coaching staff still has jobs, maybe the owner is preoccupied with stadium issues.

Thing is, they are wasting Philip Rivers' most productive years.

Yea, poor Philip. How smart were the Mannings?

About as smart as the Bosa's are dumb. Lost money for no reason....

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
To be fair, was it McCoy's fault that Melvin Gordon fumbles in crucial moments? Was it his fault Benjamin fumbled without even being touched? His fault the holder screwed up the hold?

I don't think he is a great coach, but they're losing these games because players are making bone head mistakes kids playing high school football shouldn't even be making. I guess you can say that all these things fall back on him as a head coach.

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":19u1hu9s said:
To be fair, was it McCoy's fault that Melvin Gordon fumbles in crucial moments? Was it his fault Benjamin fumbled without even being touched? His fault the holder screwed up the hold?

I don't think he is a great coach, but they're losing these games because players are making bone head mistakes kids playing high school football shouldn't even be making. I guess you can say that all these things fall back on him as a head coach.

Was about to say the same, the offense players that everyone is praising have been the ones that have thrown the games away with awful ball handling.

Turnovers are killers in close games.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Losing and winning close games reverts to the mean over time, and I'd *guess* the same is true for 4th quarter comebacks and blown leads (e.g. the Hawks weird blowing of leads at the beginning of last year which wasn't predictive of anything moving forward).

and yeah, hard to blame fumbles (in particular) and interceptions on coaching.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
On NFL Live they said that the Chargers are like 4th in the league with with total time of possession with the lead in the NFL. Insane that they are literally playing with the lead in all their games up until the very end.

OP
OP
ivotuk

ivotuk

Reaction score
Actually you can blame fumbles and players bone-headed mistakes on coaching. You don't see it happening on the good teams. Good coaches teach ball control, they coach their players throughout the game.

I've seen Pete do it, and Bellicheck does it, they give individual players instructions during crucial moments in the game. "Take care of the ball here, they are behind and will be trying to strip it." "We are trying to run out the clock, so stay in bounds." etc etc... happens all the time.

I could see it if it were isolated incidents, but this happens every game for the Chargers. This is definitely on the coaching.

Maybe the Chargers could benefit from "It's all about the ball." and "Turnover Thursdays"

Popeyejones

Reaction score
ivotuk":gvm4b45p said:
Actually you can blame fumbles and players bone-headed mistakes on coaching.

The problem is that it's really volatile, suggesting that coaching probably doesn't have that much to do with it (but see below).

The Chargers for instance, gave away the 3rd least fumbles in 2014 and the 6th most fumbles in 2015. That sounds a lot more like chance than coaching, particularly given that turnovers given away over those years they were basically middle of the pack.

I DO think that coaching in terms of strategy can play a role.

As far as strategy and turnovers go, the same teams tend to be at the bottom of the league each year in interceptions given away because of who their Quarterbacks are (and more importantly IMO) the types and (sometimes) frequency of passes they're asking their QBs to throw (e.g. Kansas City, Seattle, New England), whereas these teams still ping around from year to year in fumbles lost. For a team like the Pats they're more consistent in not losing fumbles for the reason that we all already know: it doesn't matter how effective you are, Belichick is gonna bench you until he can cut you if you fumble the ball.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Chargers have the 4th most plays with the lead this year. The teams ahead of them are a combined 13-2. Wow.

Latest posts