Dak Prescott fan here (Dak = Russell?)

byau

Reaction score
Heard John Clayton say on one of the 710 shows that Dak is a lot like Russell Wilson in his work ethic, talent, disopsition, etc.

I watched the last Cowboys game (condensed) and he definitely seems like he has huge potential to be a great if not elite qb. He's already playing really well (0 INT!).

And then I read this:

"Dak Prescott passed on free Kanye West tickets to get some sleep"
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/dak-p ... ome-sleep/

Not only did he pass on the tickets, but there's this bit here as well:

Start with those Kanye tickets-they lie unused on the table. Now head out on the roof deck, from which you can see the Cowboys' practice facility a couple of miles to the south. Some teammates roll their eyes at the idea of living in Frisco, a strip-malled McSuburb; trendy Uptown is only 30 miles away. But Prescott loves waking up at 6 a.m. and being at work, in the hot tub, by 6:15. "If I don't hit the traffic light," he says, "I can be there in two minutes."

You can totally see the comp between Dak and Russell here.

If you're a fan of Russell, can't see how you can't be a fan of Dak. I look forward to following him a bit more going forward.

2_0_6

Reaction score
Russell learned work ethic from Manning, and now young QB's that come into the league will look up to Russell's work ethic.

I think it's a great thing, and yes Dak looks like a damn good player.

kobebryant

Reaction score
Loving Dak. Easy to root for, even with Romo being a likeable dude who keeps catching bad breaks.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
I saw him on Jon Grudens show and really really wanted us to draft him... Not sure what we would have done with him, but the kid seemed very ligit. I was disappointed we didn't.. and I'm sure there are a lot of teams out there now, kicking themselves much in the same manner they lost Wilson.

Ironic, how bad Dallas wanted Lynch and had to "settle".

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
I'm not ready to anoint him a word beater yet. 2 guys a lot of people including the national media claimed were world beaters at the same stage (in amount of games played to that point) of their careers RG3 and the Kraepper.
How have those guys careers gone? It's too early either way. The

I think GB will be a real test. I think once Dak starts getting hit more and the league starts figuring him out, it will be the true test. Dak didn't look too good after Wagner and Sherman blew him up with hits in the preseason.

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
That Oline is giving him great confidence, but like always wait until year 2 when teams really figure out a QB's tendencies. I'm already seeing an article talking about Dak as a top 10 QB and he's only played in 5 games. Wilson never got that love like that from the media in his rookie year.

According to DVOA in the defenses he's played, NY Giants is the best defense at 16th, everyone else is below that. Not to take anything away from him, he's been put in a good position as well as Wilson when he started. I want to see him start going against Top 10 defenses before I say he's good.

Greenbay is a good test for him, they are 8th in Defensive DVOA, after that he has Philadelphia's #2 by DVOA. Don't know when Romo will be back but if Dak can play well against those two defenses I will give him some props.

In Wilson's rookie year his first 5 games were against ARZ #6, DAL #23, PACK #8, STL #7, CAR #11 by Defensive DVOA

We seen this many times before too, a rookie who looks good in their first year, but after a few years in the league they seem to vanish and fall off.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
theincrediblesok":24z45e5o said:
That Oline is giving him great confidence, but like always wait until year 2 when teams really figure out a QB's tendencies. I'm already seeing an article talking about Dak as a top 10 QB and he's only played in 5 games. Wilson never got that love like that from the media in his rookie year.

According to DVOA in the defenses he's played, NY Giants is the best defense at 16th, everyone else is below that. Not to take anything away from him, he's been put in a good position as well as Wilson when he started. I want to see him start going against Top 10 defenses before I say he's good.

Greenbay is a good test for him, they are 8th in Defensive DVOA, after that he has Philadelphia's #2 by DVOA. Don't know when Romo will be back but if Dak can play well against those two defenses I will give him some props.

In Wilson's rookie year his first 5 games were against ARZ #6, DAL #23, PACK #8, STL #7, CAR #11 by Defensive DVOA

We seen this many times before too, a rookie who looks good in their first year, but after a few years in the league they seem to vanish and fall off.
Great points. Been telling my Cowboys fan co-worker they've played some pretty weak D's so far, like every year he says they are going to the Super Bowl. :roll:

Hawks46

Reaction score
byau":1vlkldwr said:
Heard John Clayton say on one of the 710 shows that Dak is a lot like Russell Wilson in his work ethic, talent, disopsition, etc.

I watched the last Cowboys game (condensed) and he definitely seems like he has huge potential to be a great if not elite qb. He's already playing really well (0 INT!).

And then I read this:

"Dak Prescott passed on free Kanye West tickets to get some sleep"
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/dak-p ... ome-sleep/

Not only did he pass on the tickets, but there's this bit here as well:

Start with those Kanye tickets-they lie unused on the table. Now head out on the roof deck, from which you can see the Cowboys' practice facility a couple of miles to the south. Some teammates roll their eyes at the idea of living in Frisco, a strip-malled McSuburb; trendy Uptown is only 30 miles away. But Prescott loves waking up at 6 a.m. and being at work, in the hot tub, by 6:15. "If I don't hit the traffic light," he says, "I can be there in two minutes."

You can totally see the comp between Dak and Russell here.

If you're a fan of Russell, can't see how you can't be a fan of Dak. I look forward to following him a bit more going forward.

There are definite correlations between Wilson and Prescott. Namely work ethic, on field poise, maturity and being grounded/humble. He seems to have that "it" factor and the moment really isn't too big for him. It's a great foundation to build on, that's for sure. I see a ton of similarities between the two players.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
^^^ Fair to point to that type of off-the-field stuff, but Prescott also fell because he got a DUI right before the combine (or draft? Don't remember), which wasn't very Wilson like.

On the field Prescott doesn't really remind me of Wilson at all really.

If anything, in his first year he looks like what Alex Smith couldn't do until his 8th year, and has really settled into at this point. That could be Prescott's plateau, we could just be seeing the Cowboys protecting him as a rookie (which they've already acknowledged), and he could definitely build into something more. Athletically he's pretty similar to Alex Smith, and in year 1 his strengths and weaknesses look pretty Smith-like too (good in the pocket, good repetitive accuracy on short and shorter intermediate timing throws, more inconsistent on intermediate and deep routes, kind of risk averse so he won't cause a lot of turnovers,good at pre-snap diagnosis and makes it through his first and second read quickly but isn't usually going through the full tree, is a good enough athlete to run but it isn't a high point of his game).

ivotuk

Reaction score
He was a a damn good, bordering on elite QB at Mississippi State, and that's translated to the NFL. No big surprise.

Admittedly, he's had an elite offensive line and running game protecting him, but he's made all the right moves too. ZERO interceptions! That is unheard of!

If Russell Wilson had come in to the NFL with that kind of support up front, can you imagine where we'd be right now?

I think the most striking comparison between RW and Dak, is the level of maturity. I can't credit him with being somebody special just because he left concert tickets on the table. An NFL starting QB can get tickets to anything, at anytime. Why risk something as important as millions of dollars, the respect of the locker room, the admiration of fans, and a starting position in the NFL for a concert?

Besides, do we really know that he's a big West fan? I think that particular story is by a Dak fan trying to build on to the Dak Prescott legend.

The only concert I might risk pissing my bosses off over is a Jimi Hendrix concert, and we all know that ain't happenin' I'm sure there will be plenty of opportunities in the offseason.

However, I am a big fan, who *tries* to keep things in perspective, but Prescott has a fairly long history, and he's in a great position to succeed. His early success, IMHO, is not going to be a flash in the pan. It may taper off some when teams get more tape on him, but not much.

All in all, I think he's going to be the difference in whether or not the Cowboys make the playoffs. And he's probably the best young QB to come along since Russell Wilson.

In Mathematical/Computer Science terms: Dak != RW && Dak ~ RW

Largent80

Reaction score
I'm liking what I am seeing from him so far. Absolutely have always HATED Dal-ASS however.

irocdave

Reaction score
From the limited amount I have seen from him, he has some "it" factor. Yes he has a great O line and solid running game but he isn't overwhelmed by being one of 32 people in the world that share the same job. That's a big deal for a young man. I don't care for the Cowboys and really don't care fro them being stuffed down every NFL's throat but Dak has a bright future in the NFL. Same as RW did in his rookie season. RW had a decent O line, great running back and really good defense to help him along. Dak haven't a great O line and crappy D is an approximate equal.

Dak's book is just starting, it's up to him to prove how his story plays out. So far it's intriguing and has parallels to RW's story. Sucks, because if he keeps ascending all NFL fans will hear about is Dak just because he plays in Dallas, but that's not his fault. If he played for the Bills we wouldn't hear boo about him.

That's the reality of the NFL cash making machine.

ARhawk

Reaction score
Nick Foles put up a 27-2 TD-INT ratio in his first half season or so of starting, and Dak is in a much more QB friendly situation. He has obviously looked good up to this point, but there is little he can do this early that would convince me he will be great or "elite". I would say it takes at least 1-1/2 seasons of consistent great play before that claim should be taken seriously. All that said, the kid is off to a really good start.

Overseasfan

Reaction score
So far I'm really liking the kid both on and off the field. Though I really need to see prolonged greatness to start calling a QB the next big thing. Look at Winston, makes the pro bowl in his rookie year and is barely replacement level in the second year. It took me till the end of the 2014 season before I saw Russ as elite as well, that needed 3 years of strong play and constant improvement.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
ARhawk":2rzcaiit said:
Nick Foles put up a 27-2 TD-INT ratio in his first half season or so of starting, and Dak is in a much more QB friendly situation.

I can't really think of a much more QB friendly situation than getting to play in Kelly's offense before the league caught up to its simplicities.

As for Dak, he has a great running game and o-line (which has been really banged up so far this year, tbf) to take pressure off him, but Dez has more or less been out all year (11 receptions this season, hasn't played in three weeks) and without him Dallas' pass catchers are way below average. Their defense isn't that good either (the defense is benefiting from Dak, Zeke, and the ball control offense, not the other way around).

Every QB is dependent on his situation of course and I don't think Dak is in a bad one, but I don't think it's a particularly great one also, as there are both pluses and minuses to it.

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
Hawk_Nation":vb6iefpx said:
Russell learned work ethic from Manning, and now young QB's that come into the league will look up to Russell's work ethic.

So Dak Prescott got his work ethic from Wilson?

Maulbert

Reaction score
5_Golden_Rings":2l4itjl2 said:
Hawk_Nation":2l4itjl2 said:

So Dak Prescott got his work ethic from Wilson?

He didn't say that. You're inferring.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
The first time I heard somebody compare Dak to Russell, I had never seen Dak play and didn't even know what he looked like. So when I heard the comparison, I said to myself "I'll bet Prescott is black". Sure enough.

But to be fair, I still haven't watched Dak play much so the comparison might be accurate. All the tattoos tell me that Dak isn't like Russ off the field. Not that one is better than the other.