Russell Okung taken from game in Ambulance?

Nothinbutm

Reaction score
The_Z_Man":1cpc3pnj said:
Strange how the worm turns.

Post Rams game, some Hawk fans were lamenting Okung's "Pro Bowl" level play for Denver, and the fact that our o line was a disaster without him.

I was wondering how you could pencil a guy into the pro bowl for two average games in a row... but that was beside the point.

How healthy can he stay? That was the real question.

Tonight's costly penalties, and subsequent injury issues/hospital trip are a reminder to those Hawk fans of why P&J decided to move on.

A less than average tackle who can stay healthy > an average tackle who can't.

One of his penalties directly resulted in a safety if I'm not mistaken.

Nothinbutm

Reaction score
Make no mistake though. It would be a considerable improvement to have him over our current dumpster-fire of an LT currently starting for us.

Barakas

Reaction score
"Okung was the Broncos' starting left tackle during the team's 21-13 loss to the Chargers. The offensive lineman was called for a key holding penalty in the fourth quarter that nullified a 20-yard touchdown catch by C.J. Anderson. The Broncos ended up scoring zero points on the drive because Demaryius Thomas would fumble the ball two plays later."

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/bronc ... -chargers/

Fade

Reaction score
Is anyone surprised? He is injury prone. He gets hurt all of the time.

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
I hope he's ok.

But yeah, he single-holdingly gave back the victory the Chargers were prepping to give away.

Anderson's big-effort TD was beastly; the hold was blatant and unnecessary.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
The_Z_Man":rlxgb5y3 said:
Strange how the worm turns.

Post Rams game, some Hawk fans were lamenting Okung's "Pro Bowl" level play for Denver, and the fact that our o line was a disaster without him.

I was wondering how you could pencil a guy into the pro bowl for two average games in a row... but that was beside the point.

How healthy can he stay? That was the real question.

Tonight's costly penalties, and subsequent injury issues/hospital trip are a reminder to those Hawk fans of why P&J decided to move on.

A less than average tackle who can stay healthy > an average tackle who can't.

The best part of the Hawk fans clamoring for Okung's return is that we actually offered him more money than Denver did, and due to his representing himself, he didn't realize Elway was giving him the shakedown.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
Nothinbutm":b1jaqid0 said:
Make no mistake though. It would be a considerable improvement to have him over our current dumpster-fire of an LT currently starting for us.

Hard to agree completely. As often injured as he is his absense creates another problem in cohesion, chemistry and adaptation.

Sowell will likely improve and while he does Cable will likely try and give him help. That help will also improve as they learn Sowell's weaknesses and adapt.

Unfortunately it's not as simple as just swapping out lineman.

If Okung were to stay healthy then yes it's a big upgrade but once he gets dinged up his performance is no better than what we have now and the one thing about Okung you can count on is his inibility to stay 100% healthy.

ivotuk

Reaction score
I don't think Okung is playing up to his capabilities. He's playing it safe so that he doesn't get hurt, and i don't blame him. It's his own fault, but he got jobbed.

I don't have a problem with him being replaced, like someone said earlier in this thread,

[Average LT that plays all 16 games]

Greater Than

[very good LT that misses 3 to 6 games a year PLUS Crappy LT that replaces him for those games]

And the older he gets, the worse it's going to get. And IIRC, Sowell is getting fewer penalties than Okung.

And finally, who would you cut in order to pay Okung PLUS a crappy backup?

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Maybe he was just whisked off to the Pro Bowl early

massari

Reaction score
ivotuk":31vccobm said:
And IIRC, Sowell is getting fewer penalties than Okung.

Okung has 3 penalties in 6 games while Sowell has 3 in 4 games. http://www.nflpenalties.com/position/of ... ew=players

J'Marcus Webb probably wouldn't have been signed had they got Okung back. So there's 2.5M in cap room. If they were able to get him close to what Denver paid, it looks like Sowell and his 1M could be the backup.

I'm guessing Wilson would rather have Okung for 12 games with Sowell playing the remainder than having Sowell all season.

peppersjap

Reaction score
massari":rawm7rwj said:
ivotuk":rawm7rwj said:
And IIRC, Sowell is getting fewer penalties than Okung.

Okung has 3 penalties in 6 games while Sowell has 3 in 4 games. http://www.nflpenalties.com/position/of ... ew=players

J'Marcus Webb probably wouldn't have been signed had they got Okung back. So there's 2.5M in cap room. If they were able to get him close to what Denver paid, it looks like Sowell and his 1M could be the backup.

I'm guessing Wilson would rather have Okung for 12 games with Sowell playing the remainder than having Sowell all season.
Did you read the part that said the Seahawks offered Okung more? He took a very bad contract to leave Seattle, he did not want to be here any longer!