Kap's Reworked Contract

HawkGA

Reaction score
So it sounds like his contract includes a hefty insurance policy that doesn't count against the cap. This seems, eh, shady to me in terms of cap manipulation. Or it seems like a brilliant idea that more teams should do. Thoughts? Might be a good way to satisfy Bennett since he's always worried about being able to feed his kids.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/1780 ... kaepernick

Osprey

Reaction score
I wouldn't call it shady since it doesn't pay unless he's injured. Really just a hedge on a voided year.

mikeak

Reaction score
This is real interesting. If he was injured under the old contract the money gets paid by the team under the cap.

I must believe now they took a $500k cap hit but if injured it doesn't come from the cap at all.

Not sure if shady is the right word but smart as heck.

irocdave

Reaction score
Seahawks had a similar deal with a certain linebacker back in the late 80's. Not shady, it's smart. Difference is, the team doesn't hold the insurance, the player does.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Just two points of clarification on this:

1) There's some disagreement in reporting on if Kaepernick or the 49ers are paying for the premiums on the insurance policy. The first report I read said Kaepernick is paying for it, which is also what Rapoport is saying. If Kaepernick is paying for the premium the 7.5 million pay-out is tax free (functionally equaling the 14.5 million injury guarantee he had, which would be taxed), which is why he would be the one paying for it, as if the team pays for it then the pay-out gets taxed and Kaepernick only ends up seeing about 8.5 of that 14.5.

2) If the team is paying for it, regardless of if it pays out or not the premium for it (said to be about 300K) goes against the 9ers salary cap next year, as it is in effect money being paid to Kaepernick in his new deal under the CBA.

My ASSUMPTION from #1 and #2 would be that Kaepernick is paying for it, and that the 1 million boost in his salary this year is effectively a way for the 9ers to indirectly pay for the premium which allows 1) Kaepernick to be the one paying for it so it doesn't get taxed on his end if he needs it and 2) the money going on this year's cap for the 9ers instead of next years cap.

I don't really see any upside for either party for the 9ers to be paying for it; both sides would be much better off (and Kaepernick's side in particular) if the 9ers just gave him the premium cost in increased salary this year.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
HawkGA":2sszr9ux said:
So it sounds like his contract includes a hefty insurance policy that doesn't count against the cap. This seems, eh, shady to me in terms of cap manipulation. Or it seems like a brilliant idea that more teams should do. Thoughts? Might be a good way to satisfy Bennett since he's always worried about being able to feed his kids.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/1780 ... kaepernick

I don't know the details of the insurance but I do remember that Kap had to pay for it. That's probably why it's not figured into the cap.

I suspect all it does is pay Kap the amount owed even though the numbers still affect the cap. Basically just protecting the Yorks but not the team.

OP
OP
H

HawkGA

Reaction score
irocdave":3v1rl579 said:
Seahawks had a similar deal with a certain linebacker back in the late 80's. Not shady, it's smart. Difference is, the team doesn't hold the insurance, the player does.

There was no salary cap back in the 80s.

OP
OP
H

HawkGA

Reaction score
Popeyejones":1o1ay3o3 said:
Just two points of clarification on this:

1) There's some disagreement in reporting on if Kaepernick or the 49ers are paying for the premiums on the insurance policy. The first report I read said Kaepernick is paying for it, which is also what Rapoport is saying. If Kaepernick is paying for the premium the 7.5 million pay-out is tax free (functionally equaling the 14.5 million injury guarantee he had, which would be taxed), which is why he would be the one paying for it, as if the team pays for it then the pay-out gets taxed and Kaepernick only ends up seeing about 8.5 of that 14.5.

2) If the team is paying for it, regardless of if it pays out or not the premium for it (said to be about 300K) goes against the 9ers salary cap next year, as it is in effect money being paid to Kaepernick in his new deal under the CBA.

My ASSUMPTION from #1 and #2 would be that Kaepernick is paying for it, and that the 1 million boost in his salary this year is effectively a way for the 9ers to indirectly pay for the premium which allows 1) Kaepernick to be the one paying for it so it doesn't get taxed on his end if he needs it and 2) the money going on this year's cap for the 9ers instead of next years cap.

I don't really see any upside for either party for the 9ers to be paying for it; both sides would be much better off (and Kaepernick's side in particular) if the 9ers just gave him the premium cost in increased salary this year.

If Kaep is paying it then I would think it would be a non-issue (and something really every player should consider taking out on themelves).