Patriots trade LB Jamie Collins to Cleveland

Natethegreat

Reaction score
Wow, thats shocking. That actually helps the Seahawks quite a bit for our game there.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
No man is safe on the Pats. Still waiting for the shocking Brady trade.

James in PA

Reaction score
Smart move for NE. They get a high 3rd round pick for a guy they weren't gonna be able to afford to keep after this season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Popeyejones

Reaction score
James in PA":qmv3boki said:
Smart move for NE. They get a high 3rd round pick for a guy they weren't gonna be able to afford to keep after this season.

Nah, they got an end of the 3rd round pick (this is the first traded comp pick since comp picks could be traded).

So basically they get a 3rd round comp from the Browns in 2017 rather than getting a 3rd round comp pick for Collins in 2018.

(note, it's a conditional 3rd round comp pick because the pick hasn't been awarded yet, but that's what it was).

The most interesting thing IMO is that even though Brady is 39 with Chandler Jones and now this BB really isn't acting like he has a window. Does he believe that much in JG or does he really just think he has a system that's unstoppable?

Natethegreat

Reaction score
Yeah this trade seems like Belichick really just wanted him out of there. Must have done something that ticked him off. Collins is a really good linebacker.

Erebus

Reaction score
Imagine how much this has to suck for Collins. He was probably going to get another SB ring this year, and now he's going to a team that might not win a game.

WmHBonney

Reaction score
Rumor I heard was that Collins was wanting Von Miller $$$. Cannot verify.

ludakrishna

Reaction score
WmHBonney":1sbkzyn0 said:

:lol: I love Belichick. Either sign for what we offer, or I'll ship your ass to Cleveland.

getnasty

Reaction score
I get that your not gonna be able to sign him but it sucks if your a member of the Pats and you know your team is not as good today as it was yesterday. The thing that I don't get is wouldn't they have got a 3rd round comp pick for him after he left in FA? Must be something more to this story.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
ludakrishna":1qxq9u4v said:
WmHBonney":1qxq9u4v said:

:lol: I love Belichick. Either sign for what we offer, or I'll ship your ass to Cleveland.

Right?

That's cold blooded

Trrrroy

Reaction score
Seems odd to trade a player like Collins right in the midst of a likely superbowl run. I'd think that having the defensive talent would be worth more than a third rounder even if you didn't plan to re-sign him.

chris98251

Reaction score
They wanted to get a pick before he was able to call his own shots, this was also a message to the rest of the team, deal or be in Cleveland or San Francisco :)

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":2u9cc94k said:
Ahahahahahaha!!

But if he's not doing his assignment right, Belicheat would ship him. Do your job is his mantra.

Trrrroy

Reaction score
chris98251":14tal7ed said:
They wanted to get a pick before he was able to call his own shots, this was also a message to the rest of the team, deal or be in Cleveland or San Francisco :)

Just seems like having a player with that talent on a superbowl caliber team would be worth more than a third, even if you only have him for this season. They dropped their chances for another ring this year. Not by much, but they did.

I understand wanting to get a return for a player that isn't in your future plans. But to me it makes more sense to keep him for this superbowl run, franchise him and try to deal him in the offseason. Maybe you don't get any takers and he walks, but I think it's worth the risk.

chris98251

Reaction score
Trrrroy":va1dvfnf said:
chris98251":va1dvfnf said:

Just seems like having a player with that talent on a superbowl caliber team would be worth more than a third, even if you only have him for this season. They dropped their chances for another ring this year. Not by much, but they did.

I understand wanting to get a return for a player that isn't in your future plans. But to me it makes more sense to keep him for this superbowl run, franchise him and try to deal him in the offseason. Maybe you don't get any takers and he walks, but I think it's worth the risk.

If your another team in the league probably true, but the Patriots feel they will be there year in and year out regardless and that no one player is going to upset Belichicks plan.

RedAlice

Reaction score
He's the definition of Hubris. And, you can only become that by what you are doing working.

Eventually, well, we've all read mythology.