Jets claim RB Knile Davis off waivers, Pope Released

iigakusei

Reaction score
Yessir - they just released the golden child Pope.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
It will be interesting to see if the Hawks pick him up for depth while Rawls is out. Supposedly part of the reason he was expendable was because he was so similar to Rawls...

Natethegreat

Reaction score
I wonder if he shows up on the practice squad. I certainly wouldn't be surprised. This is what I expected after he was cut in the first place.

Jville

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/793586357344108544[/tweet][tweet]https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/793590145807183872[/tweet]

kidhawk

Reaction score
I hear the Chiefs are working out Trent Richardson, but I wonder if they'd snatch back Davis now that he's available and Charles is on IR?

OP
OP
Rat

Rat

Reaction score
kidhawk":3knham5r said:
I hear the Chiefs are working out Trent Richardson, but I wonder if they'd snatch back Davis now that he's available and Charles is on IR?

Maybe, but you don't trade a guy for a conditional 7th rounder if you think he has a future with your team.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Rat":330k4srw said:
kidhawk":330k4srw said:

Maybe, but you don't trade a guy for a conditional 7th rounder if you think he has a future with your team.

With Ware in the concussion protocol and officially putting Charles on IR (he probably should have been on the PUP to start the year), you'd think they'd start looking for some help there and the guy was good enough that they kept him on the roster until the Packers got desperate enough to give up something for him.

Look at Michael, we gave him up for a song and a dance, the cowboys got rid of him and so did (the redskins?) before he landed back here when we were really thin on backs.

TestMo1337

Reaction score
HawkFan72":wzqy94kt said:
It will be interesting to see if the Hawks pick him up for depth while Rawls is out. Supposedly part of the reason he was expendable was because he was so similar to Rawls...
Pope is more similar to Michaels than Rawls.

I don't see why they would bother.

chris98251

Reaction score
sammyc521":7rnzgpd4 said:
HawkFan72":7rnzgpd4 said:
Pope is more similar to Michaels than Rawls.

I don't see why they would bother.

He can pick his feet up and has better balance.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Why would the Jets release him? Did they see how he ran against the Raiders 4th string?

Seanhawk

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":30o50lnw said:
Why would the Jets release him? Did they see how he ran against the Raiders 4th string?

A true genius is never appreciated in his own time.

getnasty

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":279j54ab said:

I love this

Ozzy

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":2zbow3s6 said:

People were demanding keeping Pope over Prosise too lol

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
The reason for Pope was because we needed a backup in the event our returner got hurt (which happened) and because it was not clear that Rawls was coming back 100% and if Michael needed a rest, had a bad game or we just needed to show a change of pace...he would have been an option.

All of the above happened.

Those things did not happen on the Jets. So comparing him and saying that because he did not do well on the Jets, which runs a totally different system, that somehow he would not have contributed here? That makes no sense.

Ultimately we got Spiller, so I was OK that at least we filled the gap. Then we released him, so who knows.

But there were a few games where not having an injured returner might have helped us, heck even the AZ game.

It would be impossible to prove either way, but I imagine that Pope on this team would have helped it in some early games where our RB or kick returner was not producing well.

We have some very intelligent posters on here, so it is weird to see a knee jerk "It could not work there so it must not have been possible here". The guy was never going to be Barry Sanders or even Sproles for us, but I think he would have helped in some areas we ended up needing help.